Can not find a job in RHIT field/Coding

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

frozenbunny in Indianapolis, Indiana

18 months ago

my email address is frozen-bunny@hotmail.com could you please email me some information?

rparese.jc@*****.*** in Gloversville, New York

18 months ago

Interested in this post

Stephanie in Champaign, Illinois said: "There are also "new graduate" and ED coding positions that don't require any experience. It would be a good way to get your foot in the door and a way to expand your experience later on. Please reply with your email address and I can send you more information or answer any questions you might have."

Hi! Can you please send me any information you have on new RHIT hires?? I would be greatly appreciative! Thanks!

-Stephanie Turner (houstons41@yahoo.com)

Lakema

18 months ago

That would be great if you could forward information regarding these positions. lakemahow@gmail.com

Thanks!

coderinlimbo in Florida

18 months ago

jennyhorner in Edmond, Oklahoma said: coderinlimbo - Have you tried applying to remote companies? The CCS is the "in demand" coding credential, especially for inpatient coding.

I currently work remotely and enjoy some flexibility now. However my company was just recently bought out and the work atmosphere has become a bit tense in addition to being toward the lower end of payscale. I am currently trying to get whatever CE's I can with this company while I fish around. It can be tricky looking for employment while being employed by a rather large company in your field of interest.

Madara in Mobile, Alabama

17 months ago

frozenbunny in Indianapolis, Indiana said: my email address is frozen-bunny@hotmail.com could you please email me some information?

I mentioned a hospital that hires new grads...

vturner in Atlanta, Georgia

16 months ago

RHIT in COS in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I have been working remotely for a reputable coding company for the past two years. I am very happy working with them - excellent pay, good benefits, great managers, full-time work, flexible hours, paid training, plus incentive and bonus pay. There are plenty of current openings in gearing up for ICD-10. Right now they offer a $10,000 sign-on bonus for experienced inpatient and outpatient coders. There are also "new graduate" and ED coding positions that don't require any experience. It would be a good way to get your foot in the door and a way to expand your experience later on.

Please reply with your email address and I can send you more information or answer any questions you might have.

Good luck in your job search! Don't give up!

I know this is almost 2 years after your post, but please send info to valerie.turner49@gmail.com

I graduated in Dec 2015 HIMT and got my RHIT cert in March 2016. I so disappointed that every job posting I see and apply for wants 2+ years experience. How am I supposed to get experience if no company is willing to let me in. Some people have told me to think about volunteer work at a hospital clinic etc. I don't really see this as an option since medical records are sensitive material with the confidentiality aspect in the mix. I wouldn't want some outsider not actually employed to be looking at my medical records. I am quite discouraged about this degree and certification. I feel I was sold a pipe dream. With the time and money I spent on this education, I wish I had picked something else to go to school for. Well now I'm fifty something and going back to school is out of the question. Please help. I am going to try the networking idea so many other posters talked about.

vturner in Atlanta, Georgia

16 months ago

Leidy r in miami, Florida said: Anyone looking for part time remote coding email me i am a recruiter and we have a lot of open positions lrodriguez@workbeast.com

I'm interested.
valerie.turner49@gmail.com

tthomas in Memphis, Tennessee

13 months ago

Leidy r in miami, Florida said: Anyone looking for part time remote coding email me i am a recruiter and we have a lot of open positions lrodriguez@workbeast.com

please send me the information:tammiethomas547@gmail.com

Discouraged in Kent, Ohio

13 months ago

I graduated and received my RHIT in June 2016 - right when the ICD-10 transition panic had subsided and the jobs just went *poof* and disappeared.

I have 20 yrs+ office admin exp, so I thought investing in education for the medical field would take me into retirement with coding. I'm also hearing impaired and chose coding due to its anonymity.

But alas, just as the original poster said, no experience, no job. The proverbial Catch-22.

It's actually devastating for me. I did everything by the book. Top grades, volunteered at local hospital, took side classes the hospital offered, sat & passed exam 3 mos later, QUIT SMOKING... the biggie! (But it needed to be done and I'm grateful in still smoke free.)

I'm seeing jobs that pay $10 hr. I made twice that 20 yrs ago without a college education. All of these jobs involve phones and front desk which isn't conducive to HIPAA and asking a patient what they're being seen for 3 times to make sure you heard them right and by then the whole waiting room knows they have the clap. Lol

So, I'm just whining. Sorry. I'm just so discouraged. And honestly, I feel like AHIMA ripped me off. They've done nothing for me except ask for money. RHIT supposed to be the gold standard of medical office...hah. I'm trying to see if the VA (I'm a vet) will help me get my CCS. That seems to be the ticket in. More money out. *sigh

Do any of you think the CCS will be a waste of my time? All my externships said not to take it until I've coded in the job for awhile. That's not working out do well. ;)

Thanks for being here.

Discouraged in Kent, Ohio

13 months ago

PS... AUTONOMY not anonymity.

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado

13 months ago

On the contrary Discouraged, the CCS coupled with the RHIT will be the complete opposite waste of your time; I believe this will actually greatly help you in finding a job. I've read that even if you don't have job experience, that if you have the CCS that a good amount of employers will feel obligated to give you a look, and that if you do really well in the interview, you're in.

It's been said that job posting requirements are more like wish lists, and that employers will still look at CCS-certified individuals even w/o job experience, due to the combo of a maybe shortage of coders + not every coder originally being certified + retired/dismissed coders. Not sure how true this is though..

Perhaps try becoming an AHIMA member and start networking from there if you already haven't done so

madara2003 in Alabama

13 months ago

Discouraged in Kent, Ohio said: I graduated and received my RHIT in June 2016 - right when the ICD-10 transition panic had subsided and the jobs just went *poof* and disappeared.

I have 20 yrs+ office admin exp, so I thought investing in education for the medical field would take me into retirement with coding. I'm also hearing impaired and chose coding due to its anonymity.

But alas, just as the original poster said, no experience, no job. The proverbial Catch-22.

It's actually devastating for me. I did everything by the book. Top grades, volunteered at local hospital, took side classes the hospital offered, sat & passed exam 3 mos later, QUIT SMOKING... the biggie! (But it needed to be done and I'm grateful in still smoke free.)

I'm seeing jobs that pay $10 hr. I made twice that 20 yrs ago without a college education. All of these jobs involve phones and front desk which isn't conducive to HIPAA and asking a patient what they're being seen for 3 times to make sure you heard them right and by then the whole waiting room knows they have the clap. Lol

So, I'm just whining. Sorry. I'm just so discouraged. And honestly, I feel like AHIMA ripped me off. They've done nothing for me except ask for money. RHIT supposed to be the gold standard of medical office...hah. I'm trying to see if the VA (I'm a vet) will help me get my CCS. That seems to be the ticket in. More money out. *sigh

Do any of you think the CCS will be a waste of my time? All my externships said not to take it until I've coded in the job for awhile. That's not working out do well. ;)

Thanks for being here.

I am studying for my CCS and I am an ED coder at a hospital. Yes, it will absolutely help you. Even with the CCS, it will still be tough to break into the field. Try applying for AHIMAs apprenticeship program. I finally heard back after 8 months. Look for "entry level Coder" on indeed a few times a week. YOu may have to relocate.

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado

13 months ago

Is the RHIT a medical billing and coding degree? Or is earning the RHIT as good as earning a medical billing and coding certificate?

Katherine Winstead in Humble, Texas

12 months ago

I am intrested in more information. I graduated last year, and can not find a job, everyone wants experience. Thank you!

Email-Kwinste1@hotmail.com

Working at ortho practice in florida in Lehigh Acres, Florida

12 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Is the RHIT a medical billing and coding degree? Or is earning the RHIT as good as earning a medical billing and coding certificate?

its hard to get into a coding job without experience even if you got the cert and passed the licensing test. Seems like a catch 22 that all the employers want two plus years coding experience but you cant get experience if you dont work, right? Theres a reason for that. Billing and coding and billing carries a lot of accountability to everyone involved both legally and ethically. A lot of money can be lost and a lot of trouble can be had for mistakes because the law says you and your employer are responsible if you "knew or should have known" when it comes to false billing coding and overpayments. They are pretty sure about what you should know if you want to bill...and its a lot to know. The thing to do is start at a lower level position in a billing office. Show them your knowledge keep your license up including the extra classes and eventually you will get a coding position. I am seeing a practice right now where NO ONE has experience and they act like Coding is as easy as finding a code etc. The claims have been going out wrong and overpaid and underpaid for over a year. They bill patients for claims they didnt get in on time etc...all kinds of little things and rules you must know in order to keep the practice out of hot water. This type of inexperienced billing amd coding raises all kinds of red flags and the practice will be audited and fined and made to repay every dime they mischarhed to insurance xompanies..lucky if they dont lose their shirts when its all said and done. So thats ehy it's important to jave experience and know all the little nuances of the business. You pick thay up when you work in other positions first. Good luck to you in the job search!

Tina in Burton, Michigan

9 months ago

L123 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: I really need advice, I graduated from the HIT program and got my RHIT. I have such a hard time finding a job due to lack of experince in coding and working in the HIM department. I really want to code but most facilities want 2 or more years. I have one year experience with admitting and working with medical records! Every interview that I have gone to has decided to pick someone with more experience! Help I need some advice and a job real bad!

I have been trying to get a coding job for 4 years. They will not hire anyone who is not experienced. If you did get a job right out of school you were lucky! No luck for me.

Tina in Burton, Michigan

9 months ago

Almost all hospital HIM jobs are outsourced now to other companies so they can pay you a lower wage. The coding jobs are many, but they all want 3 years of experience. Nobody wants to train a new person. I tried for years.

madara2003 in Alabama

9 months ago

Tina in Burton, Michigan said: Almost all hospital HIM jobs are outsourced now to other companies so they can pay you a lower wage. The coding jobs are many, but they all want 3 years of experience. Nobody wants to train a new person. I tried for years.

Look out of state if you're able to move that is- especially rural areas. It's almost near impossible to land a coding position without experience if you're in a big city.

jennyhorner in Edmond, Oklahoma

9 months ago

Tina - Are you talking about offshoring? Offshoring is different than outsourcing. Outsourcing means giving the work to another company, most likely a remote coding company. Offshoring is where they offshore the work out of the United States. Offshoring is becoming less because of all of the mistakes, so they bring it back. I'm not quite sure where you are getting your information from that all hospital HIM jobs are outsourced. If you mean the coding portion is being outsourced, then most likely it's going to a remote coding company. Remote coding companies for the most part pay pretty high. There are several hospitals and healthcare companies that have in house HIM and coding, so that's what I'm confused why you made that statement. Have you gotten a coding credential? If not I would highly recommend it. Almost all employers require a coding credential for a coding job. Have you networked in your local chapter?

TD in Fort Wayne, Indiana

1 month ago

I have just found this thread and have to agree with a lot of people that is hard to find a job in the HIM field without experience. I graduated a HIT program and passedd the RHIT exam in May of this year. I did have a job applying ICD-10 codes to CPT codes for a week in March. I thought I finally had a foot in the door and would be able to get the experience needed to move forward onto bigger things after a year or so.

After learning what the company did and how they were doing it I had a long conversation with one of my instructors because I felt what I was doing was wrong. I was right. I left that job after only a week.

I can't find anything in the field near me for entry level positions so I have taken a job in a factory again so I can pay my bills and try to save up to move to where I see entry level HIM jobs.

There needs to be more support and assistance for new graduates. Networking is great but it's difficult to get to conventions because of price when you work a job that just covers bills.

madara2003 in Alabama

1 month ago

TD in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: I have just found this thread and have to agree with a lot of people that is hard to find a job in the HIM field without experience. I graduated a HIT program and passedd the RHIT exam in May of this year. I did have a job applying ICD-10 codes to CPT codes for a week in March. I thought I finally had a foot in the door and would be able to get the experience needed to move forward onto bigger things after a year or so.

After learning what the company did and how they were doing it I had a long conversation with one of my instructors because I felt what I was doing was wrong. I was right. I left that job after only a week.

I can't find anything in the field near me for entry level positions so I have taken a job in a factory again so I can pay my bills and try to save up to move to where I see entry level HIM jobs.

There needs to be more support and assistance for new graduates. Networking is great but it's difficult to get to conventions because of price when you work a job that just covers bills.

you're going to have to move in order to get your foot in the door. I have the luxury of picking up and leaving since I am single, I understand that some people may not.

Effy in Kent, Ohio

1 month ago

I've had 2 interviews for jobs that pay only about $10 hr. Neither hired me, and the last one, the girl looked right at me and asked what an RHIT was. I kid you not. So in another year, I have to renew my certification that has done nothing for me. I can't afford AHIMA dues, so they can't/ won't help me. The school turned its back on us. The other graduate is working in a factory. Pays better anyway. Am I discouraged? No, I'm disgusted.

TD in Fort Wayne, Indiana

1 month ago

madara2003 in Alabama said: you're going to have to move in order to get your foot in the door. I have the luxury of picking up and leaving since I am single, I understand that some people may not.

I do have a couple of plans to move if I can't find a job in my area. I just have to save up the money working a different job until then. Just myself and my dog to worry about.

jenmack in Rochester, New York

1 month ago

I would love information on how to get into remote entry level coding. Recent A.A.S. grad from an RHIT program in NY about to shedule my exam and no actual coding experience yet. So hard to get into this field due to everyone wanting actual medical experience, even witha decent network in my area. I so appreciate the help! Thanks for sharing!
mcbailey07@hotmail.com

jenmack in Rochester, New York

1 month ago

Stephanie in Champaign, Illinois said: "There are also "new graduate" and ED coding positions that don't require any experience. It would be a good way to get your foot in the door and a way to expand your experience later on. Please reply with your email address and I can send you more information or answer any questions you might have."

Hi! Can you please send me any information you have on new RHIT hires?? I would be greatly appreciative! Thanks!

-Stephanie Turner (houstons41@yahoo.com)

I would love some info. on the "new graduate" coder positions! Thanks for the help! mcbailey07@hotmail.com

Coder in Saint Petersburg, Florida

1 month ago

Facebook forums are better places to ask questions like that. The members are often well-known individuals in the fied whose advice is reliable. Forums like Medical Coders of America Resource Group are moderated and offer good advice. There are coders there who did exactly what you want to do.

Reggie in Jacksonville, Florida

13 days ago

mike in Hutchinson, Minnesota said: As I said, someone with a medical or medical billing background with an RHIT degree should have no problem finding work right out of school.

I don't know anything about you Leo, so I cannot say why you are having the issue you are. However, good references, a good work history (even if not related),a good resume and interviewing skills are huge.To be completely honest, I find it incredibly strange that someone who has applied for so many jobs hasn't gotten a single one. Another possibility is that they may think you are over qualified given a previous bachelors,a AAS and working toward a second bachelors.

Having a billing background implys that you have experience but i think the concern is that there is NO billing background or any background, Zero experience with a degree. I'm in the same situation and am now looking to volunteer at a hospital for 6 months just for the experience.

sunshine_sobright1 in Jacksonville, Florida

13 days ago

Reggie in Jacksonville, Florida said: Having a billing background implys that you have experience but i think the concern is that there is NO billing background or any background, Zero experience with a degree. I'm in the same situation and am now looking to volunteer at a hospital for 6 months just for the experience.

I believe it's pretty much where you're located regarding opportunities. Reggie I'm in Jacksonville Florida also. After I graduated and became certified I had a very difficult time Landing a coding position. I didn't even have prior experience working within a healthcare facility environment. I came from health insurance background. I took a pay cut and landed a job at UFJP as a charge follow-up coordinator just to get my foot in the door with a healthcare facility. I prepared myself to take the CPC 6 months after I received my rhit certification. I received a promotion as coder within days after being CPC certified. A little disheartening being that I hadn't invested as much time as I did with the rhit. I recommend that you get your foot in the door. Shands and UFJP will hire you as a coder without experience. Keep at it. So Will Baptist. I currently work at St Vincent's for the pulmonary Physicians. I'm still working to get to the hospital side. I received my start at UFJP as a coder without any experience. Don't give up. I don't know how effective volunteering will be however I do recommend getting your foot in the door somewhere within a Healthcare environment

RHIA, CCS, CPC in Miami, Florida

13 days ago

Reggie in Jacksonville, Florida said: Having a billing background implys that you have experience but i think the concern is that there is NO billing background or any background, Zero experience with a degree. I'm in the same situation and am now looking to volunteer at a hospital for 6 months just for the experience.

The RHIT has little to do with biller jobs. That is why you are not being hired for them. If you are hired, you will leave quickly. No employer wants that.

Some facilities want to support RHITs and college HIT education. Others recognize that the RHIT covers coding only to the bare entry level. Literally, it is only what is on the CCA. It is not covered at the CCS or even CPC level. The RHIT does not even require use of code books. Only a small percentage of test content is on coding. The bulk of it is other general HIT like records. It is possible to pass the RHIT even if you can't hardly code. Employers, unfortunately for new HIT graduates, know this. They know you are only partially trained and unproven. Hence, today they want to see coding experience before they hire you. They want proof that you can code.

Previously, there were a lot of jobs in med recs for entry RHITs. With EHRs, those jobs are gone. That leaves the flood of HIT grads competing for a the few entry-level scanning and coding positions that are available.

You can improve your hospital chances by getting the CCS. Get the CPC and expand your options to the outpatient jobs. If you can, in fact, code you can pass those exams. If you do not have those credentials, employers assume you can't pass.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.