Preparing to take ASCP MT exam in three weeks time

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »

Paul in Azle, Texas

108 months ago

Mary in Ashland City, Tennessee said: I PASSED!!...or it was a hallucination, haha. I didn't get any kind of print out saying I passed from the testing center before I left.

I typed up the questions I could remember. Of course they aren't word for word. If I won't get in trouble for it I could post them.

can you please e-mail me those test questions to paflores@charter.net

Got Faith in Lafayette, Louisiana

108 months ago

Hello Jennifer, I took my MT ASCP in June and passed after being out of school
for 10 years. Yes you can! Please do not listen to the negative comments some
people post. Start studying now, and give yourself a couple of months. Make a
study schedule and stick to it, weekends and all. I am 43 and have been out of
field for 2 years. You can do it. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Jennifer H in Sarasota, Florida

108 months ago

oh GFinL, you are too kind. thank you. I did order the flash cards just to see how foriegn the matterial looked- aand to my surprise i was familiar with all of it! yea! I just need o brush up on Micro and some details.

now i just have to commit to it.

thanks for your support.
let me know if you come through Sarasota and have time to be a tutor!!! LOL

jen

Got Faith in Lafayette, Louisiana

108 months ago

Your welcome. I used "A Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory Science" by Joel D. Hubbard.
It really helped. Take it a Department at a time not to get overwhelmed. Let me know how
you do.

melani g. magno in Newport, United Kingdom

108 months ago

im melanie magno can you give your telephone number then i call you or can you pls. email me at (ammety6601@yahoo.co.uk) ....i tried to send to you un email but unfortunately i can't... thanks

Mike in North Hollywood, California

108 months ago

Hi guys,

I just took the exam and failed. I have a question. I finished the exam in 1 1/2 hours. What I did was on questions where I wasn't sure if I was correct, I just answered it right away and marked a check for review. Do you guys think that is a good thing to do? I have this feeling that if you answer the question right away, and then plan to go back, then you're not giving yourself a chance to pass because the succeding questions might be easier, and so forth. The scoring system may be too low because you never give the computer a chance to give you a harder question, which I presume would translate to higher points? So do you guys think the proper way to answer is, move on to the next question only if you're sure that you answered the current question correctly?

Buck in Nashville, Tennessee

108 months ago

Mike,

The test is based on a teir system, you need a certain number of hard questions correct in order for you to pass, if you keep getting easy questions more than likely you failed.

So to answer your question do not change the answer, do not answer the question quickly b/c if you get it wrong, the next question will be easy. The trick is to get the question correct so you can get a more difficult question. If you get the difficult question correct you only need a certain percentage of them to pass.

So your are correct move to the next question ONLY if you think you have the correct answer. If you get questions that you have never seen before that is a good thing because you getting the harder questions right.

108 months ago

Thanks Buck, I knew it, I actually put a review on all of them, guessed most of the questions, and went back to review all of them. No wonder they all look easy when I was reviewing them. Geez now I have to take it again. I am a licensed CLS in CA and only taking this exam because I wanted to have the certification beside my name. I wonder if its necessary but it is really nice to have the MT, ASCP behind your name. Anyways thanks again Buck.

Mr. Marbles in Ortonville, Michigan

108 months ago

Mike,

I probably clicked "review" on around 80% of ALL of the questions. If I wasnt completely positive I wanted to review it. I am pretty sure it did NOT hurt me to do this because not only did I pass but I did fairly well.

sporothrix in Fremont, California

108 months ago

I tooked the exam yesterday and finished in 2hrs and 20 minutes.I tooked it real slow to make sure that my answers were correct.

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

108 months ago

sporothrix in Fremont, California said: I tooked the exam yesterday and finished in 2hrs and 20 minutes.I tooked it real slow to make sure that my answers were correct.

does that mean you passed?

108 months ago

Well I took off from work and reviewed for a week Probably too much confidence because I only started reading Mycology and Parasitology 1 HOUR BEFORE THE EXAM. I had Polansky and Harr (which I never had the chance to read the sections of Chemistry, Micro, until the end of the book) which I believe were sufficient but I honestly think I had too much confidence being a working CLS generalist. Apparently, its not enough. The book is not the same as what's happening when you're in the bench. I'll see if a month will work. I wanted to take it again so I can still retain what I have previously read.

108 months ago

Mike in North Hollywood, California said: Well I took off from work and reviewed for a week Probably too much confidence because I only started reading Mycology and Parasitology 1 HOUR BEFORE THE EXAM. I had Polansky and Harr (which I never had the chance to read the sections of Chemistry, Micro, until the end of the book) which I believe were sufficient but I honestly think I had too much confidence being a working CLS generalist. Apparently, its not enough. The book is not the same as what's happening when you're in the bench. I'll see if a month will work. I wanted to take it again so I can still retain what I have previously read.

mike this y be a silly question but i am a student so i dont know everything. How many test do you have to take anaother to be full licenced or certified? i am a little confused because you are already a CLS and yet you are taking more tests. Can you please clarify that for me?

108 months ago

Daffy, I know your a little confused and expect you to be. Let me explain. I got my bachelors degree and training from another country so that makes me ineligible to sit for the ASCP exam. For foreign grads, ASCP requires you to have 5 years local experience in order to take the MT ASCP exam. Back in 2000, taking the state administered exam doesn't require you to have 5 years US experience. A bachelors degree from a recognized foreign school is enough for you to get approval to take the CA CLS exam. I am licensed in CA because I took the state exam back in 2000 which was administered by the state. I was planning to take the ASCP at the same time during that year but learned later on I was ineligible. I really wanted a certification because I might not like California and decide later on to move somewhere. So instead of taking the ASCP, I took the AMT exam, who up until now allows foreign graduates to take the exam as long as your degree has been certified as a US bachelors degree equivalent. There is now an equivalent MT ASCP certification called ASCPi certification, being offered for ineligible applicants. This ASCPi is also currently accepted in CA as a way to get a state license. If the ASCPi was available in 2000, I could have taken it.

108 months ago

to continue...

Now that I have 8 years of US experience on all sections, I have decided to take a shot at the MT (ASCP) exam. I am not taking the ASCP exam for acquiring a license in CA (because I am already licensed). I am taking this exam as an added credential since as a Section Supervisor in a hospital. I just deem the ASCP certification is important as a way of being recognized in this profession, especially if you want to do things other than working on the bench. In fact, I am also attending Cal State Dominguez Hills for a masters degree in Quality Assurance because I want to take more responsibility in a different level, and sometimes, credentials might spell the difference between getting hired / promoted or distance you from the crowd. Most of my peers who are supervisors in the field have it so I think it is essential, but then again, its not required. I wished ASCP had reciprocity to all licensed CA CLS because they have allowed the ASCP to replace the non-existent state exam, but I think that's a long shot.

Taking the exam is a personal choice.

108 months ago

Mike in North Hollywood, California said: Daffy, I know your a little confused and expect you to be. Let me explain. I got my bachelors degree and training from another country so that makes me ineligible to sit for the ASCP exam. For foreign grads, ASCP requires you to have 5 years local experience in order to take the MT ASCP exam. Back in 2000, taking the state administered exam doesn't require you to have 5 years US experience. A bachelors degree from a recognized foreign school is enough for you to get approval to take the CA CLS exam. I am licensed in CA because I took the state exam back in 2000 which was administered by the state. I was planning to take the ASCP at the same time during that year but learned later on I was ineligible. I really wanted a certification because I might not like California and decide later on to move somewhere. So instead of taking the ASCP, I took the AMT exam, who up until now allows foreign graduates to take the exam as long as your degree has been certified as a US bachelors degree equivalent. There is now an equivalent MT ASCP certification called ASCPi certification, being offered for ineligible applicants. This ASCPi is also currently accepted in CA as a way to get a state license. If the ASCPi was available in 2000, I could have taken it.

Oh i understand it now. Thank you for explaining. One more thing. Is it true that one must take the california test to practice there? or it doesn't matter what state you come from as long as you have the ASCP licence

108 months ago

In fact, if you browse through most CA CLS jobs, they "prefer" CA CLS license and MT (ASCP) certified. However, these qualification requirements are now obviously obsolete because ASCP certified is now synonymous to getting a license in CA. Most recruiters (and hiring managers) are not aware of this changes so they still continute to state it on posted job ads.

108 months ago

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Oh i understand it now. Thank you for explaining. One more thing. Is it true that one must take the california test to practice there? or it doesn't matter what state you come from as long as you have the ASCP licence

Nope, if you have ASCP, then just apply for the state license. You need to take another online exam (correct me if Im wrong) regarding CA laws. As soon as you pass it, then submit the requirements, and the state will issue you a license.

108 months ago

Thank you Mike great info.

108 months ago

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Thank you Mike great info.

Good luck on finishing the degree and taking the exam! Dont forget to wish me good luck hehe.

108 months ago

Mike in North Hollywood, California said: Good luck on finishing the degree and taking the exam! Dont forget to wish me good luck hehe.

Lol good luck. I am sure you'll make it next time.

108 months ago

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Lol good luck. I am sure you'll make it next time.

I hope so, I think the key is to give oneself more time to read. I prepared for a week and I guess its not as easy as I think. Gotta take it more seriously. If I had more paid time off, I could have taken a month off. I probably have to read every night. I have to wait for my scores and see where it went wrong so I know can determine where to concentrate. When are you graduating? Why made you decide to become a CLS?

108 months ago

I mean why do you want to become a CLS?

108 months ago

Mike in North Hollywood, California said: I mean why do you want to become a CLS?

Plan A was to go to pharmacy school i applied but didn't get in. MT was the plan B. So after MT school i will apply to pharm school again i am also keeping an eye on the DCLS program and salary increase for MT because of shortage. It seems that soon there will be a surplus of pharmacist. i alresdy have a pre-pharm AA degree i am starting MT school next month for 2 years. Technically, MT was my back up because it is recession proof lol

georgebuffet in London, United Kingdom

108 months ago

Hi There !!

I heard ASCP exam is little bit harder, but dont know much about it. You can search in the internet.

All the best :)

Regards,
George Buffet

sporothrix in Fremont, California

108 months ago

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: does that mean you passed?

yeah, I passed the exam

108 months ago

sporothrix in Fremont, California said: yeah, I passed the exam

Nice! Congrats to you

sporothrix in Hayward, California

108 months ago

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Nice! Congrats to you

Thanks daffy, good luck with your studies.

happybigfeet in San Francisco, California

108 months ago

Hi, Mary can you email me the questions you taken in real exam? Thanks in advance.
helen.hj@gmail.com

108 months ago

Mike in North Hollywood, California said: Hi guys,

I just took the exam and failed. I have a question. I finished the exam in 1 1/2 hours. What I did was on questions where I wasn't sure if I was correct, I just answered it right away and marked a check for review. Do you guys think that is a good thing to do? I have this feeling that if you answer the question right away, and then plan to go back, then you're not giving yourself a chance to pass because the succeding questions might be easier, and so forth. The scoring system may be too low because you never give the computer a chance to give you a harder question, which I presume would translate to higher points? So do you guys think the proper way to answer is, move on to the next question only if you're sure that you answered the current question correctly?

Hi, Mike. What does the exam looks like? Is it hard or easy? You only take 1 1/2-hour! What is the standard exam time for every applicant? Did you put review mark for every single question? I am confused that why the system put the review mark rather than not to give the harder question. Does that mean you did not get the correct answer when you put review mark even though you put the right answer?
Thank you for shring the information.

108 months ago

Got Faith in Lafayette, Louisiana said: Your welcome. I used "A Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory Science" by Joel D. Hubbard.
It really helped. Take it a Department at a time not to get overwhelmed. Let me know how
you do.

Hi, Got Faith. I think the book you recommanded really good for the exam. Thank you.Did you use the other stuff to review? I am a foreigner graduate and planning to take MT exam in 3 months. I have 2 years beyond my majoy.I am so nervous!! Hard to memories the all aspects of field. Would you please share you experience with me, thank you so much.
helen.hj@gmail.com

108 months ago

Mr. Marbles in Ortonville, Michigan said: Mike,

I probably clicked "review" on around 80% of ALL of the questions. If I wasnt completely positive I wanted to review it. I am pretty sure it did NOT hurt me to do this because not only did I pass but I did fairly well.

Hi Mr. Marbles. After you clickd "review" bottom, did the system gave you a harder question? Is that means "review" not effect the system automatically give you a harder question when got right answer on the previous question?

108 months ago

Mike in North Hollywood, California said: Nope, if you have ASCP, then just apply for the state license. You need to take another online exam (correct me if Im wrong) regarding CA laws. As soon as you pass it, then submit the requirements, and the state will issue you a license.

Hi Mike. Would you please tell me what is the on-line test covered? Does it the same as the ASCP exam's format? What kind of materials should I prepare for the online exam?
According to your explaination for Daffy, I noticed that I have the same background as yours, but one diffence is I do not have US experience :)
Thank you sharing.

veds in Mount Pleasant, Iowa

108 months ago

i took 2 time Mt(ASCPi) exam and i couldn't pass it, i review all basic thing than also i couldn't pass exam. this is my 1st exam in usa.so i m not use to with exam system.do anyone help me for preparation for exam and if some body know about any classes or something who can guide me for exam plz tell me?
thanks

Tony Arora in North Hollywood, California

108 months ago

jordanrosana in New York, New York said: what is that tutorial is that a book to study for the ascp test? can i get it

Did you find the tutorials?

Tony Arora in North Hollywood, California

108 months ago

Did you find the tutorials?

Mr. Marbles in Ortonville, Michigan

108 months ago

happybigfeet in San Francisco, California said: Hi Mr. Marbles. After you clickd "review" bottom, did the system gave you a harder question? Is that means "review" not effect the system automatically give you a harder question when got right answer on the previous question?

I have a hard time judging if the questions got harder after I clicked review because to me they all seemed hard. However, for the system to work like everyone says it does the questions must have gotten harder if I answered them correctly even though I clicked review. So no I believe clicking review has absolutely no effect on the system because as I said I clicked review on probably 80% of the total questions.

Actually I ran out of time and never got to review a single question I set for review.

108 months ago

TORONTO BOY in Toronto, Ontario said: Please simple question need simple answer......

How many questions and how many hours?

THANKS....T.O. BOY

100 questions and 150 minutes

MJ in Dawson, Nebraska

108 months ago

If anyone wants to hand down their reviewer and books I would be glad to have them for my sister. She's going to take the ASCP exam. I'm looking for the following:

1. Quick Review Cards by Polansky
2. Clinical Lab Science Review by Harr, and
3. the ASCP green book "Board of Registry Guide"

The new ones are expensive and if you're not going to use it or you want to let go of it for fraction of the price, please send me a message: galaxyfairy00 AT hotmail dotcom.

Thank you!

MJ

moonbeam753 in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

108 months ago

i graduated in 1978 with a b.s. in medical technology and was ascp certified the next year. i previously took the calif state test and held a license but let it lapse. i've been told by someone in dept. of health in calif since i took ascp in more than 7 years ago, i will have to retake it in order to get a new license. does anyone know if this is true or whom to talk to in human services? seems to me that the people with lots of experience are being penalized. surely this can't be right--they have a terrible shortage of cls in that state.

jorge in Whittier, California

108 months ago

please explain how to change the ASCP certification to CLS license.Thanks!

108 months ago

jorge in Whittier, California said: please explain how to change the ASCP certification to CLS license.Thanks!

haven't you heard that NCA and ASCP have merged? you don't need to switch to CLS. Wait until end of the year your licence will be transfered automatically to MLS ASCP(BOC).
www.ascp.org/MainMenu/AboutASCP/Newsroom/NewsReleases/ASCP-BOR-and-NCA-Form-Single-Certification-Agency.aspx
Also read the powerpoints:
www.ascp.org/PDF/BOR-PDFs/News/BOR-and-NCA-Unite.aspx

108 months ago

if you took the exam less than 7 years ago just contact calif dept heath services and you can convert it. they have a website. the only thing you will have to do is take a small test on calif laws--no biggie. if you took the ascp more than 7 years ago they told me i have to retake it. bummer.

108 months ago

I am trying to inform you all the NCA will be dissolved soon. Every one will need the new medical laboratory scientist MLS ASCP(BOC) license. i already posted the link so read up and get informed.

kj in Leander, Texas

108 months ago

Mary in Ashland City, Tennessee said: I PASSED!!...or it was a hallucination, haha. I didn't get any kind of print out saying I passed from the testing center before I left.

I typed up the questions I could remember. Of course they aren't word for word. If I won't get in trouble for it I could post them.

hi mary! i will be taking the exam in a little over a month and i'm sooo nervous! could you email me what you remember at omnioi@yahoo.com
thank you thank you!

108 months ago

mary, would you email what you remember as well? moonbeam753@mac.com. thank-you sooooo much
robin

shivgopal in Bombay, India

108 months ago

hi, i m also from india and planning to give ascpi(MT) exam. cn u plz guide me how the paper comes there and how much difficult is it to crack the exam and what r the books to follow.

jorge in Whittier, California

108 months ago

hi! I took and passed the exam last july 27, 2009 and it took me 2 hours to finish it. the first 60 questions were difficult but after that, they were simple questions . I consumed straight one week to review for the exam. I read ciulla only and make it.

sporothrix in Modesto, California

108 months ago

congratulation!you are now a CLS.

shivgopal in Bombay, India

108 months ago

I Have done B.Sc from chemistry in india & post graduation diploma in medical lab technology from INDIA.I want to work in AMERICA. SO please guide me how to get their lab certificate

Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.