THE CON of BEING AN RN

Page:  « First « Previous   46  47  48  49   

justreading in Newark, New Jersey

18 months ago

JB in Jackson, Michigan said: It's not about appreciation. It is abuse. Unless you are a nurse you will not understand. You have to be a nurse to understand how UNSAFE it is. Everyone goes into this with denial. I was warned years ago and it is worse now than it was then. I watched it get worse for near 20 years. Many nurses will say what I have said here. Many people considering the field will look for pros and cons and then get turned off towards the truth of the cons and some will get nasty as seen here. But, when they get into the profession they get SMACKED with reality and see how true it is. Helping people? Taking part of the understaffing and nurse to patient ratios is NOT helping people. It is putting them in danger and jeopardizing their health . Again, you need to do it to see it. I don't know why people bother asking for "cons" when they don't want to hear it.

Then why continue to be a nurse?

RTtoRN guy in Laredo, Texas

17 months ago

I'm having a dilemma right now! I'm failing Maternity/Pediatric and also mental health as well in third semester. I'm running out of money right now. I went out of state to attend this ADN program paying out-of-state tuition as well. My school probably will offer me to bridge over LVN program or I can come back next year since I'm a second year student so I covered the same material as the 2 second semester LVN. There LVN is 1 year straight one year/3 semesters program, I could be placed into the Spring and finish by end of summer semester.

I'm a registered respiratory therapist I can make more money then LVN. I can go back home in California and pick up shifts with various staffing. In fact, my boss just called me today to update my profile so I can get started working as soon as I get back in a week. I suffered so much last semester Med/Surg and this semester Mat/Pedi and Mental Health. I'm exhausted and burn out. My program, 1/2 of the students are at border line right now, the instructors are helping by giving extra bonus quizzes and movie quiz but it would not help me because you would need 75% to pass their program, I'm at 70% probably won't make it. I talked to a local RT at the hospital in did my clinical rotation, he said that many RT here fail Mat/Pedi and had to come back a year later to retake it. Many of us RT had high attrition rate so the program removed any "tech" from their admittance to the program this year; that is Rad Tech, Resp Tech, but retain EMT and LVN for their transitional admittance into the program. But a friend of mine is EMT who failed the second semester Med/Surg last year. So it proved them wrong, however; I do not think I'm coming back next year leaving my family behind again with my two young kids. After reading so many negative post about being a nurse, I got so discourage to continue studying for the final this week.

NurseNoMore in Dallas, Texas

17 months ago

Unions do not change things; I was forced to join one in Ann Arbor at University of Michigan. All they do is collect a fee, and you are put at the end of the line for any privileges. All they do is safeguard employee benefits, nothing more.

17 months ago

I am a former traveler. Of course you never heard any of your nurses complain...They were in fear of losing their job! I have a niece who is an OT and got an earful of the conditions of Hawaii (she lived there)...So, don't paint a pretty picture of how it is. And being an OT, she had it far better than any nurse.

17 months ago

I find it rather amusing that those who have never worked as a nurse in a hospital are the very ones who are quick to say that we should do it because it is more than money, etc. Really? Like we went into nursing because of the money? Seriously? There are many other jobs that pay better with far less risk on every level. I finally told my insurance agent who was bent on keeping me in nursing (lol), that if it meant that much to her, then she should do it. Guarantee that all these people who get annoyed at nurses crying out for relief will turn into one themselves.

CarrieLee OGorman in Ashfield, Massachusetts

16 months ago

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida said: I've been working in the health field for over ten years and I'm still in it. So I know what I'm talking about. I just don't do nursing anymore. Good luck to you if you decide to do nursing. You never know, you may just like it.

Could not agree more. My last two RN jobs were draining and I was not allowed a home life.
I am in the process of soul searching.
Can you share what or where you went to after leaving nursing.

Wow.. in Dallas, Texas

16 months ago

I know it’s good to vent but this is scary. Some of you are sick and should be no where near patients. No wonder you hate it. You are in the wrong field. I’m going into nursing with the sole intention of becoming an Acute Care NP. I really hope I don’t become so bitter in the process. I don’t know what I don’t know. One thing I do know is if you are racist, find a job with little to no human contact....and a therapist. Just wow.

@RN_Solutions in Potomac, Maryland

15 months ago

Before you quit nursing take a look at this youtu.be/zFEXaj54qNU

Ur next in Woodbridge, Virginia

14 months ago

Some of you posting saying we are wrong and sick will be on here posting the same complaints before it is all said and done.

Mercedes in Jersey City, New Jersey

13 months ago

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: Also, your motives might have been wrong to begin with if you let someone's opinion run you off. You need to have the desire to help the sick, and that should be the main reason that you go into the field. It's not always about the money, because they would never pay you enough to do what you do in the nursing profession. So you better not go into it for the money.
Thank you so much for saying this comment about the money. I am currently in nursing school. I have been an aide/technician for THREE years. I am seeing nursing right before my very eyes when I am working. NURSING is what YOU make of it. I was bullied and manipulated ALL THE TIME when I first started. Truthfully I feel it’s because of jealousy because I am so good with my patients. I truly love my patients and all the hard work and effort I put into my job. I have Crohn’s Disease also: I’ve seen myself critically ill. I can relate to my patients of all ages extremely well. I’m finally learning to stick up for myself and put my foot down as an aide, because someday I will be a nurse and I don’t want to be a pushover. I learn from the best nurses. I carefully watch everything they do and how they treat their patients. I avoid all the stupidity and pour my heart and soul into patient care and advocacy as an aide. The drama, the catty jokes, the corny marital stories, the problems with the kids, the crumby husband stories: it all sets me back. I AVOID it all. As for nursing school, it’s been a challenge because I live at home with my parents and there’s family issues at home. But I’m determined to finish school. Ive had nursing students tell me one of the main reasons they are in school is because of the PAY! I get so furious with these students because they have a storm waiting for them when they get out of school if their heart is not in this! I get so angry because they position could have been filled by someone who genuinely cares about patient care

13 months ago

NurseJackie in Farmington, Michigan said: Hi, Judith -

I was talking to a nurse who also left the bedside. Bottom line: we both hated it. To those who have not been a nurse, that sounds horrible. However, both Lori and I feel we're helping people in non-traditional ways: she's a fitness nurse and I'm a medical aesthetic nurse and owner of few businesses. Neither one of us were/are married -- so we know it's possible to make the transition to a better life without the benefit of a second income. Believe that... because without hope your situation is hopeless.

Wishing you much success,

Jackie

I love this. You ultimately have the freedom to do whatever you please since you are not married. I am truly in nursing for the love of patient care and advocacy. I could see myself married but I do not want any children for sure. I’m in this profession for the patients. That’s all. I could care less about the politics and the catty behavior. I want to do my job well and be on managements good side. So far as an aide: I’m killing it. I just gotta get through my schooling! Great post.

13 months ago

anony in Berwyn, Pennsylvania said:

Fantastic post. I literally copy posted it to motivate me. Yes! Yes! Yes!

justthefacts in Purgatory, Missouri

13 months ago

Nursing really is a scam. Male nurse here with board certification, BSN, BFA and BSED as well as a EMT. Boy did that stir up the hostility with girls. Fired after 26 years. Was told I didn't know the correct process for cleaning up a blood spill. I quoted the correct policy in front of HR and my supervisor ( who, incidentally is a doper who drinks way too much, drinks and drives, has a DWI and has lunch at work with the man she cheating on her husband with....a used car salesman). I told both of them I could show them the policy......only silence. And that was that. Now I find out the hospital has been dipping into our pension fund and there's only 45% left. The hospital is now saying they can default on paying the pensions because they're a religious foundation. What's good for me is since I'm out I took my pension ( 120K) with me before the started stealing. This is money all of us nurses have got to have to live on when we retire! So watch out. Once a few medical facilities get away with this it's going to be like a California wildfire. Please beware and expect them to lie to you because that's what they do and that's how they make their billions. I pity nursing students who "just want to help others" .

13 months ago

I am leaving the facility that I work, taking a month off and reapplying for an advice nurse position while I work on becoming a doctor.

SMART A.. RN Leaving this professioni in Mesa, Arizona

13 months ago

NURSING IS CRAP. Read below if you think I'm ranting. I just obtained my Master's in Nursing MSN. Its all BS and a lie to keep people from giving up or leaving the profession. The only people enjoying the profession of nursing are the academics that don't suffer the indignity if being a nurse. By the way I have a 4.0 GPA for the last 12 years since I started nursing. You will not be allowed to enter DNP and FNP programs without years of waiting, this is because the institutions do not want YOU moving thru the LEVELS of artificial education required to leave the bedside. THis is because women are puppets, and they take everyone along and down with them.

There are privileged and the slaves, make no mistake abut it you are the slave. Lets analyze this more.

Thank you for the response. Haha I've been thinking of leaving the profession, I am surprised and taken back by the high moral and ethical language permeating academia. But it seems that when it comes right down to it:

The supply of qualified, experienced, academically prepared nurses is kept artificially low (maybe a result of financial constraints by colleges)

To hide that issue, and not turn people off, or discourage them from dedicating a lifelong pursuit of truthfulness, nurses are lied to about everything (that maybe more of a systemic issue, similar to Jim Crow racism)

It is exceedingly dangerous to practice nursing. Much more dangerous than is advertised.

Some of us, as asked by the profession, dedicate our lives to the study of human needs, to melding the art and science of

SMART A.. RN Leaving this professioni in Mesa, Arizona

13 months ago

Dr Armfield,
n
Thank you for the response. Haha I've been thinking of leaving the profession, I am surprised and taken back by the high moral and ethical language permeating academia. But it seems that when it comes right down to it:

The supply of qualified, experienced, academically prepared nurses is kept artificially low (maybe a result of financial constraints by colleges)

To hide that issue, and not turn people off, or discourage them from dedicating a lifelong pursuit of truthfulness, nurses are lied to about everything (that maybe more of a systemic issue, similar to Jim Crow racism)

It is exceedingly dangerous to practice nursing. Much more dangerous than is advertised.

Some of us, as asked by the profession, dedicate our lives to the study of human needs, to melding the art and science, knowing that changing one thing during our service, would be a great contribution to society (Like my theory of caring communication)

Yet when actually implementing words into action, we are told "grades don't matter", your education isn't important, minimizing nurses, even by our own kind, rendering all caring and dedication to this profession internally mute

Work injury

I am trained in Public Health and Home care (I loved it until I was nearly killed by a semi truck. Now we are hearing that the model will have to shift to home care, I am pretty well trained in both institution care and despite those successes I am pretty much treated like s... by academic institutions and especially the public, the legislators)

No one can ever achieve complete competence in advanced practice, collaboration, interdisciplinary care, veracity between disciplines and between colleagues is a myth, and can never be actually realized

New Technology! - Like many things I am self taught at, I've been using computers since I was like 10, when I worked for microsoft (<< yes lower case) I learned how to use windows DOS 0.99 and Windows 1.0. NURSING IS CRAP

13 months ago

You hit the nail on the head. I am trying to get an advice nurse position so I can get away from the bedside. Nursing is a scam.

CINDY in Noble, Oklahoma

13 months ago

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida said: I've been working in the health field for over ten years and I'm still in it. So I know what I'm talking about. I just don't do nursing anymore. Good luck to you if you decide to do nursing. You never know, you may just like it.

I agree with most of what you said. I think you forgot to mention the abuse handed down from the BON by anyone that chooses to make a complaint against you. Even having a lawyer isn't much help.
Good luck making a decision about a career change.

Beth in Richmond, Virginia

12 months ago

cavitron in Hollywood, Florida said: Hello,

I 'm a dental hygienist and it's very hard to find a job. I 'm seriously thinking about becoming a nurse. However, before I jump the gun , I just want to hear from different RN of the cons working in this field. I do not want to make the same mistake as I did before. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.................

You will regret becoming a nurse. Stressful, low pay and surrounded by backstabbers! Environment where administrators care about profit and profit alone. They hire nurses who will sign their name to treatments they do not give. These nurses have no integrity. If you are compassionate, find another field. You will not be happy in the nursing field.

Martha in De Winton, Alberta

12 months ago

WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A NURSE
NOBODY REALLY CARES
BADGERING BOSSES
COWORKERS AROUND
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE YOU GET
SELF ESTEEM ... IT'S WAY DOWN
DEPRESSION IS CLIMBING
SELF DRUGING IS IN
YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER
YOU'RE DYING WITHIN
WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A NURSE ...
TO YOURSELF ... AND TO OTHERS ... WHY LIE?

Irene in Medford, New Jersey

12 months ago

Lexi in Elmhurst, New York said: To Stacy: Lpn programs have become very competitive. And yes they do include BIOLOGY . No MICROBIOLOGY. LPNS are taught to do care plans too. In NY the only major differences between LPNs or RNs are: LPNs can not "start" IVs & do INITIAL assessments.

I am always comparing programs and I attended an RN session recently & I found very little difference in their program vs the LPN program. And they're program costs "$46,000.00" for a 2yr RN not a BSN program.

Stacy, Please also keep in mind that there are LPNS who have multiple degrees!!! They are career changers.

@ Unbelievable: I applaud you for your PROFESSIONALISM.

I am not surprised this is happening in New York. By giving more responsibility to LPN's, they can use fewer RN's and pay less. It is expensive to live in New York, and they pay the same as a low cost of living state. Greedy doctors and hospitals are pocketing the difference and the quality of patient care is poor. Higest number of foreign born nurses are in NY.

12 months ago

anony in Paoli, Pennsylvania said: So true...and these nurses are usually BSNs, experienced, min. 2 years Med-Surg, some 2-5 plus ER/ICU experience. And yeah, $40/ hr . sounds great, until you realize they work 20 hrs. week MAX with NO BENEFITS. Yeah, give me a break!!!

These health care agencies have screwing over RN's down to a science. Home health entails burning out your car and hours of paper work on your dime. The BSN adds very little, but it is a way for RN's to finance nursing programs.

12 months ago

dlynnrn in Estero, Florida said: i have worked in emergency medicine for 20 years. i have seen my share of poor conditions but never as bad as i have seen in florida. nurses that cannot speak the language, doctors that shuffle around the in house slippers, bed bugs, wrong meds given. i routinely work 13 hours without a break...without food , without water, without going to the bathroom. 16 ER patients are split between 2 nurses, one also being the charge. i'm not talking cookie-cutter patients, i mean vents, drips, ICU holds, the whole kit and caboodle. air conditioning out in southern florida in summertime is routine. who cares about us? i really need to know. if we take care of ourselves, we are abandoning our patients, but where do we turn when administration abandons us?

Blame the cockroach politicians that take bribes from the Hospital Association that allows grossly inadequate staffing grids.

Flyer in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

Ur next in Woodbridge, Virginia said: You hit the nail on the head. I am trying to get an advice nurse position so I can get away from the bedside. Nursing is a scam.

Try case management in the hospital or utilization review.

Don'tdoit! in Los Angeles, California

10 months ago

cavitron in Hollywood, Florida said: Hello,

I 'm a dental hygienist and it's very hard to find a job. I 'm seriously thinking about becoming a nurse. However, before I jump the gun , I just want to hear from different RN of the cons working in this field. I do not want to make the same mistake as I did before. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.................

I am also a male nurse. Have been for 20 years. Anything in the health field is just about the money. Administrators do not care about the patients or staff only about profit. If you think nursing is your solution its not. I have had many bosses who pretty much have told me that I can be replaced. The professionalism and respect of nursing is gone. The administrators don't care and some nurses don't care. It's only about the money for them. My suggestion is do not do bedside care. If you can be a patient instructor or nurse educator your stress level will be lower and you will go home and have some peace of mind.

9 months ago

Irene in Medford, New Jersey said: These health care agencies have screwing over RN's down to a science. Home health entails burning out your car and hours of paper work on your dime. The BSN adds very little, but it is a way for RN's to finance nursing programs.

Coders are making more hourly than RNs. We should have stood together for minimum licensing reqt - BSN. You don’t see a physical therapist with a 1-2 yr education- entry level is 5yrs. We have downgraded our own salaries.

9 months ago

NurseNoMore in Dallas, Texas said: Unions do not change things; I was forced to join one in Ann Arbor at University of Michigan. All they do is collect a fee, and you are put at the end of the line for any privileges. All they do is safeguard employee benefits, nothing more.

Ive heard it depends upon the strength of the individual union.

9 months ago

Don'tdoit! in Los Angeles, California said: I am also a male nurse. Have been for 20 years. Anything in the health field is just about the money. Administrators do not care about the patients or staff only about profit. If you think nursing is your solution its not. I have had many bosses who pretty much have told me that I can be replaced. The professionalism and respect of nursing is gone. The administrators don't care and some nurses don't care. It's only about the money for them. My suggestion is do not do bedside care. If you can be a patient instructor or nurse educator your stress level will be lower and you will go home and have some peace of mind.

I hear salaries are really high in SF and LA.

047657 in Pleasant Hill, Missouri

9 months ago

It's not any better in LTC facilties, sad to say. Nursing is hard, dirty work and it requires a ridiculous amount of ability to split your attention in many, many directions simultaneously. I've been working in LTC for 20+ years. The pay is low, the staffing is absurdly bad and the people I work for don't give a crap about me or any other nurse they have working for them. If there was another field that I could get into that would pay as well, I'd be on it. I'm exhausted and burned out by this field.

DJ in Pasadena, California

9 months ago

You are 10000% correct. I've worked in many fields within healthcare and eventually went to nursing school. Biggest mistake of my life. I don't mind the job. What I mind is being asked to complete 16 hours of work in 12 with no appreciation, marginal compensation, and being on the receiving end of being blamed for EVERYTHING! If you complain than others question why you got into nursing, as if the expectation of being a nurse is to be treated badly and not compensated properly. But we as nurses have nobody to blame but ourselves for that very reason. WE allow it to happen. We don't all stand up for each other and what's right and say this stops today. Nurses could shut the entire healthcare system down in one day. But the patient's would suffer.....Really, like they are not suffering with overworked, understaffed, under-resourced nurses at this very moment. People don't want to stand up for what's right because it's inconvenient and nobody wants to actually stand up to the status quo.

If I had to do it all again I would pick another field. Probably nothing to do with healthcare which is a disaster in this Country... mainly because of government involvement which is only going to get worst.

Excellent Humble Person in Pleasanton, California

9 months ago

Nurses must keep selves safe.

9 months ago

As an 32 year Critical Care Nurse, I refused to let my daughter to become a muse due to severe working defeating conditions.We do a lot of lifesaving preventive care for the MD's.When my daughter medstudent was in class day one..the professor states "Welcome Doctors." When my nursing school the professor stated to my classroom "Look to your left and your right,because half will not be here next semester!" Talk about abuse from the beginning.

9 months ago

Sorry auto check on phone misspelled "Nurse".Be kind to each other

9 months ago

As an 32 year Critical Care Nurse, I refused to let my daughter to become a nurse due to severe working defeating conditions.We do a lot of lifesaving preventive care for the MD's.When my daughter medstudent was in class day one..the professor states "Welcome Doctors." When my nursing school the professor stated to my classroom "Look to your left and your right,because half will not be here next semester!" Talk about abuse from the beginning.

Lev F in Lake Worth, Florida

8 months ago

jesus christ, someone in need of a vacation

B. Sevi in Westland, Michigan

8 months ago

deborah in Columbia, South Carolina said: i think this sums up the whole thing excellently!!!!! every point true, well established, and reasonable. i regret my choice as an lpn and i understand the rn as in the sense of dilema. we do the same things 99% of the time, but the pay isn't something you can count on to live. you will be one of the working poor. at least for now. there are only so many dollars in the healthcare system pocket, and nurses are not getting the same slice nearly as much as others. at least if i had a 4 year degree, i might be able to find a suitable job. i have a minor health issue, and with that could go out of patient care. too late now. can't do school either.
i think this comment above says it all, and i do not think it selfish to say, for once ,or for at last, let them figure it out.

What exactly did you guys think the field of Nursing entailed? Pony rides and candy trees?, No. It's a field where you will be faced with tragedy, death, and severe illnesses. To make Nursing a bad career path just because you envisioned only dealing with happy clients who suffer from common colds is your fault. Be realistic when pursuing certain careers. Secondly, pick a nursing gig within a private practice if you want top dollar for minor work. It's really not hard to find a nursing job for $30hr or above. That type of pay usually comes from Catholic hospitals and private practices. Nursing is a career that goes beyond a facility. You could literally become a traveling nurse, a corporate nurse, etc. You don't have to settle for a hospital. Use your resources to find the right path within this field. Almost any field, whether teaching, accounting, healthcare, engineering, or whatever, have multiple avenues to pursue for the main career field you'd wish to enter.

Tina in Potomac, Maryland

8 months ago

I have read couple of people's comment. My opinion would be about the same.
I have been in the school for more than eight years (2 major, now doing MSN). The reason I am doing MSN is just to get rid of the hospital and inpatient. I don't know how much stress there will be in the community or out patient clinics.
Short or long...."I would never recommend my kinds to be a NURSE". They can choose to be part of other professions where they can help people. There are so many ways you can help people around (Volunteering) that may provide personal satisfaction. You don't have to be a Nurse in order to care for others.

Unknownnurse in Oklahoma

8 months ago

I have been a nurse for 5 years. I have worked in a hospital setting, home health, and an outpatient facility. Anywhere you go is difficult. Having their nurses helping you and supporting you makes an enormous difference. Overall I have to be honest, while nursing has been able to supply me with a comfortable lifestyle it has not given me a happy one. I do not go to work to be appreciated or recognized. I go because I have financial responsibilities and nursing allows me to provide for myself. However, I have also had to see a doctor and take antidepressants, medication for insomnia, and medication for irritable bowel syndrome. After discussing it with other nurses, almost every single one of them has told me...I take those medications too. Being a nurse is very hard. Wherever you go. Taking care of the sick is hard. You end up not being able to take care of yourself, and how can you take care of others If you are unwell? I won’t sugar coat it and I won’t pretend issues aren’t present. You are often understaffed and overworked, you are often asked for more than you have available to give. People both men and women are unkind to you and the politics are so bad most days you aren’t sure what you should do. Most times there is nothing you can do. You can move on...but there will always be something. Do I regret becoming a nurse? Almost every single day. I am in school currently to find another avenue to make a living. It’s associated with nursing because I paid my own way through school and hey, bills and student loans come due every month, but I will no longer be working with patients. I’m getting a masters degree in forensic nursing. I hope to work in the medical examiners office. For now I am still in direct contact with patients and cry an awful lot. People are so disrespectful and so mean. If I had know what I was really getting into, this is a road I would never have taken. Listen to good but do NOT overlook the bad!

NC lpn in Crossville, Tennessee

7 months ago

Nursing is wonderful! Nursing administration and nurses are horrible monsters, sexist, hateful devious backstabbing liers. OMG they and the health care system will chew you up and spit you out. Women discriminate horribly against male nurses. Wish I had never heard the word. Nurse.

FuturePsychRN in Texas

4 months ago

Thank you!!!!

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Schools, state/govt, health offices, clinics, spas, radiology offices, home health agencies, hospitals, long term care facilities , rehab clinics/hospitals all need nurses....just to name a few. These jobs are everywhere. And I don't need to explain that--If one opens ones eyes- one could see for themself. The bottom line is this: job shadow. Network. Look online. RESEARCH THE PROFESSION. Make an educated choice. And hopefully, we can work as a team for the good of the patients. (One day, you will be the patient, too...Be the nurse who you will allow to care for you.-Peg Radke, MSN)

Mygurlzmom in Ottawa, Ontario

4 months ago

Ever wonder why some health-care facilities ALWAYS seem to be hiring? The ones that treat staff and nurses decent don't have trouble finding/retaining employees.

You have to find your niche and what works for you. If you don't you will burn out.

Smh1 in Woodbridge, Virginia

2 months ago

Mercedes in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Thank you so much for saying this comment about the money. I am currently in nursing school. I have been an aide/technician for THREE years. I am seeing nursing right before my very eyes when I am working. NURSING is what YOU make of it. I was bullied and manipulated ALL THE TIME when I first started. Truthfully I feel it’s because of jealousy because I am so good with my patients. I truly love my patients and all the hard work and effort I put into my job. I have Crohn’s Disease also: I’ve seen myself critically ill. I can relate to my patients of all ages extremely well. I’m finally learning to stick up for myself and put my foot down as an aide, because someday I will be a nurse and I don’t want to be a pushover. I learn from the best nurses. I carefully watch everything they do and how they treat their patients. I avoid all the stupidity and pour my heart and soul into patient care and advocacy as an aide. The drama, the catty jokes, the corny marital stories, the problems with the kids, the crumby husband stories: it all sets me back. I AVOID it all. As for nursing school, it’s been a challenge because I live at home with my parents and there’s family issues at home. But I’m determined to finish school. Ive had nursing students tell me one of the main reasons they are in school is because of the PAY! I get so furious with these students because they have a storm waiting for them when they get out of school if their heart is not in this! I get so angry because they position could have been filled by someone who genuinely cares about patient care

Your heart may be in it but management will pretty much tell you to eat your heart out. You will be worked like a robotic heartless robot.

zoey1234 in Lewes, Delaware

2 months ago

It's a good profession, but not suitable for all. It's true that many from the poor families take to this profession. It's hard and the pay in many places is less than desirable. In spite of this if anyone wants to study to be a nurse, they should be encourages. They may need help with <a href="www.bartleby.com/subject/science/nursing">textbook solutions</a> and high fees, but its a profession which will always have jobs. Its worth a shot.

UndecidedMe2 in Texas

1 month ago

JessB in Mount Vernon, New York said: You are the most ignorant hateful person on this thread. You Suki and Susan all of you are racist patriotic idiots. First you have problem with Filipino and Now you assume that all Indians smell like curry and don't shower? So typical of white Americans, that's like saying when white people are wet they smell like wet dog. Maybe you shouldn't be a nurse because I don't see anything kind and caring about you. Grow up and stop letting not being apart of a click bother you so much, that's so high school

Jess don't be a c-word. Go live abroad if you hate it here and report back. Chances are you won't. You don't even know their race, but you assumed. White or black, you're being an equal opportunity kvnt.

UndecidedMe2 in Texas

1 month ago

JessB in Mount Vernon, New York said: Thank you so much for your comments. I hate to see these nurses complaining about being underpaid for what they do. I understand that nursing does look like hard work but you are in recession proof career!!! I wish I was making even $25/hour I would be grateful and I can go on craigslist or indeed and find atleast over 500 ads for nursing jobs, you're not going to see that many ads in any other field. So I don't blame people for wanting to go into nursing for just the money. We all wanna make it into the middle and upper class. Im searching for a career while taking prereqs and no matter how many other careers I research, I always come back to nursing because of the abundance of jobs requiring little to no experience!!! Social worker and ultrasound tech have very little available jobs and require 3-5yrs experience. So I wouldn't be complaining about anything happening on that 35-40/hour job, just clock in do my job then go home

You're on a computer, taking classes, and privileged to "search careers" living in the USA. You ARE middle class miss ditz. Upper class compared to most of the world. Brooklyn brains I guess.

W8liftinglady in Arlington, Texas

1 month ago

I have read the comments,starting at about 10 years ago. I have been a nurse since 1987.There are times it sucks,esp staffing. I would not trade it for any other career.I can feel at peace that I have always done what is right for my patients.My employers have,on the other hand,recently become giant douchebags.That seems to be a cyclical thing with nursing.every 10 years or so,some big "thing" will become popular.it always reverts backs to a multilevel group of folks caring for pat

LV-Medsurg-2011 in Las Vegas, Nevada

9 days ago

I'm a cna and have witnessed everything every one is stating. You go in with the mindset of saving people's lives, helping others when they are sick etc. Working in the hospital is the worst with shortages, lawsuits, bullying and threats with management and CEOs being informed only for you to become blackballed and once that happens your screwed.

All nurses flip on each other especially the females it is elementary behavior most on cell phones not doing patient care. The males make the job less stressful but not enough of male RNs.

I've been going back & forth over 6 years to go to school for nursing since I've seen the ugly & witnessed a lil good. I had a dope supervisor who said I'd make a great nurse just work at a clinic vs hospitals.

Yes the hospitals pay for new grads is $28-31 an hour where I'm living but the workload & co-workers is crappy.

It isn't even the job that is bad unless you get high patient load but the co-workers make it worse, you have no help especially being a new grad, you're lucky if anyone helps you. You're criticized & put down badly they all talk about one another smile in the face truly the most back stabbing I have ever seen in my life.

If you're unhappy or miserable keep that at home don't bring it to work. You know if management took bullying more seriously in the workplace maybe nursing could get better but its only getting worse. Nothing has improved and never will pretty soon all those school shootings will end up happening at hospitals since no one seems to have a control on the bullying that goes on in nursing and there is literally no security to protect you when or if this ever happens its scary.

Ask yourself is any job worth dying for? From stress, anxiety, workload, lawsuits, angry family members come back or wait to assault you or co-workers too, co-workers lying and sabotage eachother, Management not caring about employees health or bullying?

Perk you save a life or 2

Page:  « First « Previous   46  47  48  49   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.