No Jobs for Registered Nurses Anywhere

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Jennifer Collins in Burtonsville, Maryland

62 months ago

nojobRNohio in Dayton, Ohio said: Hey All RN's . . . the reason we cannot find jobs is that medical assistants are taking them. They now work for doctors offices, blood banks, dialysis centers. They are everywhere. If you donate blood, you will not see a registered nurse during the proceedure. When you go to the doctor you will not see an RN checking your pulse. And you can bet the medical assistant was not trained like an RN. They spend as long as 18 months in school, make as much as an LPN too. Even massively large doctor offices have one RN to supervise 25 medical assistants! We are definately loosing our jobs!! Doctors, administrators and HR staff will even tell you . . . they cannot afford to pay registered nurses!!! Down with Medical Assistants!!!

This is so true so true! I have applied to over 100 RN jobs and I am being told I don't have enough experiences lies lies lies! Doctor and PA's have admitted the entities they work for are getting rid of us and bring in medical assistants. 9 years ago when the LPN was no wanted in hospitals guess what they are welcomed back . Socialized medicine will force entities to do away with us. I am waiting tables a RN with 9.5 years experience is waiting tables. Awesome times!

62 months ago

Nancee in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I've been to doc's offices where the medical assistant calls herself "the nurse," too. Isn't that grand? Slipped it by me. I went home shaking my head.

I am a RN I was just interviewed by a LPN she was who interviewed me she had three openings. I wasn't hired she told me I didn't have enough experience what a joke. She was a 8 years LPN and I am a 9.5 year nurse. And she interviewed me. I wasted my gas driving 25 miles for the interview.

62 months ago

those where the good ole days in Warrenton, Missouri said: I have been a RN for 25yrs got fired no write up nothing for a lie that was told on me by the new grad. I had also noticed the new young manager was hiring fresh grads with only 6 weeks orientation and no classroom time and putting them all on night shift.Then slowly one by one I watched the seasoned nurses in the ICU get terminated over minor things. Starting to sound familiar? Looking for a job is useless once they hear terminated its as if your non existant at that
Point.sadly I miss the good ole days when it was less bean counters and corporate it makes me sad and question why i even got into nursing. If the bean counters can save 25,000 plus a year by firing the older nurses by gosh they will do it. I thought I would never be bitter about nursing but the way I see us older ones r being treated Sadly I am

This is very very true ! This happen to my friend who have over 30 years to a hospital. They kept floating her to units she wasn't comfortable in. She had a panic attack went to ER then went home. The next day she resigned. That's how u treat a woman that have u 30 years ??? American greed that's what it is.

62 months ago

anony in New York, New York said: I volunteered briefly at a hospital and everyone was so cutthroat and stabbing eachother in the back for jobs and to get their friends/family in there was an anti-bullying poster in every nurses station (a large hospital in NYC manhattan). Every other person I talk to wants to go for nursing and is doing all kinds of programs but from what I have seen, there is no nursing shortage and there arent hundrds of jobs posted every month? I have read from many forums in allnurses that many cant find jobs after graduating. I also recently went for some medical exams where a nurse usually take vitals and gives shots-this was done by a medical assistant . The job she did was fine and she makes half of what a nurse does. Medical practices are no longer going to hire an expensive nurse when there are PLENTY of foreign nurses already here with the experience. The Philippines come here in droves from nursing schools there.

So much for being told no more out sourcing? All lies

62 months ago

bluesy51 in Schenectady, New York said: Wow,, Really???? I didn't know that... so why is it that so many Philipino nurses are able to get jobs here?

Because they don't ask for rights.

62 months ago

Lexi in Elmhurst, New York said: You are sooo right. Nurses need to band **together** and make their demand to effectuate change.

No this won't be on CNN or c- span I say we all write letters to 60 minutes!!!

62 months ago

bluesy51 in Albany, New York said: God.. this really sucks.. I totally agree with you because I am living it. What do you do when nursing is all you know and you cant get a job as a nurse!!.. I've tried real estate ( that was a bust)..right now I am living with help from one of my sons and spousal survivor's benefits.. All that education and training.. and here I am at 61 barely getting by.

I am waiting tables a 9.5 year nurse applied to over 100 RN jobs. Ladies we should all write a letter to 60 minutes the will expose the USA. All of this is happening because of the new health plan in place. It is about money and business. I am sure you didn't do anything wrong. My friend is the highest paid nurse on her unit the powers tht be mess will her trying to get her mad enough to quit. American greed!

NurseM in Cypress, Texas

62 months ago

Once again. ...
I'm hiring and rn's refuse to work for me because it isn't m-f 8-5. You guys are cracking me up.

Biff Bradford in Madison, Wisconsin

62 months ago

You mean I can work another 20 years of 12 hour weekend night shifts?? OH BOY!!!

Missiewifie in Brooklyn, New York

62 months ago

NurseM in Cypress, Texas said: Once again. ...
I'm hiring and rn's refuse to work for me because it isn't m-f 8-5. You guys are cracking me up.

I think those nurses are not willing to relocate....they want to say in their cities but you can't.

those where the good ole days in Springfield, Missouri

62 months ago

Jennifer Collins in Burtonsville, Maryland said: This is very very true ! This happen to my friend who have over 30 years to a hospital. They kept floating her to units she wasn't comfortable in. She had a panic attack went to ER then went home. The next day she resigned. That's how u treat a woman that have u 30 years ??? American greed that's what it is.

Yes now these r the days that we put out to pasture our seasoned nurses instead of incoperating them into leading the way for the future nurses.I hate to say can it get any worse because I am sure it will.

those where the good ole days in Springfield, Missouri

62 months ago

Well not all nurses r like that i work weekends,12 hours, holidays because that is what is expected. So lets not put all nurses in one box.

DFish in Oneonta, New York

62 months ago

janet101360@gmail.com in Lynnwood, Washington said: I have been an RN for 30 years and a hospital I worked for fired me for a very minor thing. Now no one will even look at me. It has been almost three years and I have done the agency thing which is a rip off in so many ways I can't even tell you. But I can tell you that unless you know personally a manager who will hire you, younare going to have a very hard time finding a job.I've seen nursing shortages and a glut of nurses, but this is different- people can't even get jobs in LTC nursing homes or any other places where you use to be able to find work even if you had to wait several years to geinto a hospital where you want to work . My advise is go into something else for a long while as the economy is so different nothat they are hiring anyone but RN's for jobs,when they use to lay off the LPN's etc and only use RN's. I'll pray for all of us who are in trouble now. I have no other skills now- I can'y even get a cashier job.

I have had the same problem. I was let go from my last nursing job and I ended up having to completely leave out my nursing history in order get a cashier job. While it's bringing money in I miss nursing so much but I have been looking for an RN job for a year an a half with no luck. I feel like I screwed up my entire RN career and will never be a nurse again which makes me want to cry. I loved it so much. Hopefully you have found something by now as it's been over a year since you posted this. If not, I wish you luck.

62 months ago

"I am waiting tables a 9.5 year nurse applied to over 100 RN jobs. Ladies we should all write a letter to 60 minutes the will expose the USA. All of this is happening because of the new health plan in place. It is about money and business. I am sure you didn't do anything wrong. My friend is the highest paid nurse on her unit the powers tht be mess will her trying to get her mad enough to quit. American greed!"

Agreed. I will write a letter or sign a petition or whatever. Enough is enough.

62 months ago

Would you be willing to consider an out of state nurse? I am an RN and willing to re-locate anywhere to get a nursing job. I prefer 12 hour shifts and have worked nights at both my previous nursing jobs so anything is ok with me.

moon in Bumpass, Virginia

62 months ago

DFish in Oneonta, New York said: "I am waiting tables a 9.5 year nurse applied to over 100 RN jobs. Ladies we should all write a letter to 60 minutes the will expose the USA. All of this is happening because of the new health plan in place. It is about money and business. I am sure you didn't do anything wrong. My friend is the highest paid nurse on her unit the powers tht be mess will her trying to get her mad enough to quit. American greed!"

Agreed. I will write a letter or sign a petition or whatever. Enough is enough.

We need to start a Twitter campaign. #rnsunite

nursing36 in Jacksonville, North Carolina

62 months ago

I have been an LPN for 40 years. I recently became an ADN. My first job was at an agency where after one month I had to resign due to not being able to transfer my patient without assistance. As a result they have refused to give me any other jobs due to less than one year experience that is needed for the current jobs. I then went to work at a LTC facility where I was being bullied by my orientating nurse so instead of standing up to her I quit. Now here I am stuck with no job x6 months. One interview from the place I did my clinical in which I got a letter saying they found someone with more experience than me so they hired them. FRUSTRATED.

62 months ago

bluesy51 in Albany, New York said: its the same out here in the Albany NY area.. I tell new grads that they need to get on the nurse practitioner tract.. forget about being a regular RN.. All the hospitals are hiring techs and new grads.. but experienced RN like myself are not getting hired.. All that education and hard work and here I am at 61 and can't find a job!! Its crazy.. so many people out in the general public think that having an RN means that you are getting big money and lots oaf work.. so when I say I am an unemployed RN they think that something is wrong with me..Obama care will only make it worse

This socialized medicine will be the end of our careers maam. Talk radio told us in 2008 this would happen but no one listened. They said we won't be paid and experienced nurses won't be wanted but no one listened. If only one republican would go to the hospital and not get an RN perhaps the house will overturn obamacare. You see no one cares until they are the patient NO CARES until a setinal event occurs! They voted for him any way. Shame

62 months ago

Biff Bradford in Madison, Wisconsin said: You mean I can work another 20 years of 12 hour weekend night shifts?? OH BOY!!!

Yeah I am lining up for that and missing holidays and my friends weddings also!

62 months ago

has any new york city nurses, tried workforce1? for jobs

Johanna in Ontario, California

62 months ago

trinity60 in Cape Coral, Florida said: Hi Everyone,
Your comments are so surreal as I thought I was the only one experiencing similar problems.
After working 25 years in nursing, the last ten in long term, I decided to get my MSN to return to the hospitals or perhaps something in education . Well to my surprise, I am not employable to hospitals as I do not have recent experience (even though I have 15 years in acute care including major NYC hospitals/ER). I'm not employable as I have not worked in 2 years. But all this longevity, proven critical thinking, 4.0 with my MSN. Dosen't matter....???
Nursing is their own enemy. The disregard for those who have been in the business , as well as the rest of you from what ever level you are on, its dosen't make sense. If there was a true shortage, then none of us would be writing on this page. I think I will starting writing articles and sending to Institute of Medicine, Journals of Nursing. We need to let our voices be heard.
PS One valid point is that the foreign nurses, such as those from the Phillipines are taking many of our positions such as those employed by Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, NY.

Why is it that people seemingly look for other groups to scapegoat in times of trouble.You have chosen Filipino nurses. I am not Filipino. There was a time when we had a real nursing shortage. Filipino nurses filled the need. They have been around for awhile now. Employers like them because they have stronger work ethics and qualities American born do not have.To update you now, there is currently a cap on foriegn nurses.I justt read that globallly nurses are not in demand.Filipino nurses network with each other and get their friends in.This is a part of their culture to be supportive as a groupto one another.You may know a friend or two that you hope can get you a job, but Filipinos have an extensive network.One Pinoy will always help another.

Johanna

62 months ago

I worked as an LPN for many years. One thing I noticified early on was the elitism in nursing. Too many RNS think they are demigods and irreplaceable demigods at that. I use to question why not have no so much as titles like RN and LPN but levels. The higher your level the more yoskills you have. Perhaps ultimately there needed to be the creation of an advanced practice tech.I always felt that the priority in nursing was the skill set, not the number of letters behind someone name. I think some of you do not get it.No one has to get a BSN to put ina catheter, draw blood etc. Today it is healthbusiness, not healthcare. The PCT and MA have skills needed. The NLN set standards that make nurses unemoyable today in light of cutbacks. A degree should have been a completely different option apart from nursing designed for those who wanted to take on other roles in nursing above the tech level. Why can not a high level tech rise to a supervisory role provided a degree is obtained in management. There needs to be a creation of such degrees for nurses.Until this is done RNS you are like having filet mignon when on a strict budget and are therefore disposable. Funny how with budget cuts CNAS ,PCTS, LPNS are now doing things that only a licensed nurse or RN did before. RNS have been outsourced.

jencollinsrn@*****.*** in Burtonsville, Maryland

62 months ago

janet101360@gmail.com in Lynnwood, Washington said: I have been an RN for 30 years and a hospital I worked for fired me for a very minor thing. Now no one will even look at me. It has been almost three years and I have done the agency thing which is a rip off in so many ways I can't even tell you. But I can tell you that unless you know personally a manager who will hire you, younare going to have a very hard time finding a job.I've seen nursing shortages and a glut of nurses, but this is different- people can't even get jobs in LTC nursing homes or any other places where you use to be able to find work even if you had to wait several years to geinto a hospital where you want to work . My advise is go into something else for a long while as the economy is so different nothat they are hiring anyone but RN's for jobs,when they use to lay off the LPN's etc and only use RN's. I'll pray for all of us who are in trouble now. I have no other skills now- I can'y even get a cashier job.

This is all very true medical assistant are tanking. Our jobs I blame socialized medicine!

62 months ago

bluesy51 in Ballston Spa, New York said: Wow ,, its a good thing that you were able to be flexible and smart and land back on your feet. I predict that even MDs ( esp in certain areas in the USA) will also lose their edge in the professional work force. The whole country is being dumbed down and quality healthcare reduced.

Socialized medicine means lower quality of care! I have seen several RN be pushed out of there jobs. I myself have applied to over 100 jobs and no one is hiring an experienced nurse they can not and dont want to pay! I have been looking for one year. Forced to contract nurse cuz no one hiring for full time to a ten year nurse. And the American public doesn't even see what is going on because it isn't in the news but it is happening quietly.

62 months ago

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois said: LOL. Yeah, blame it on the minorities. You need to check the attitude that you take to interviews because this is absolutely revolting.

There are nursing jobs EVERYWHERE. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that nearly a million new jobs in nursing will be created by 2020. That may mean you might have to move around, but if you can't find these positions at all, then you aren't looking for them.

If you're looking for a free medium to complain how people of color are "stealing" all "your" jobs, you've found the wrong forum.

This isn't about race black or white it is about acting right. Yes there are needs but they are not hiring experienced nurses. Clearly the buisness can't afford to pay due to socialized medicine.

62 months ago

beemrdon in Burlington, Massachusetts said: I find it odd but plausible to read here that you experienced nurses can not find jobs. All I ever see in job postings and hear from employers is ..."do you have at least 1 year of (med-surg) experience?" (if not, go away). How do I get 1 year of experience when no one will hire me?
I got out of nursing school, with an a.d.n., in December of 2008 and passed the boards in March of 2009 at the age of 57. I am now 61 and a male-and yes, that matters!
Money on nursing school ...wasted. Years of study (and all of the crap I went through)...wasted.
So now what?
All the hype I (and everyone else) hear/heard about the nursing shortage is just that, HYPE. I no longer have any hopes of becoming employed as a nurse. The main beneficiaries of the hype are the colleges and the employers of nurses.
Good luck to you all.

It costs a hospital about 3 months pay to train a nurse. Hospital are struggling w the new socialized medicine that is now in place. I have 10 years experience and can't get hired any where.

62 months ago

anony in New York, New York said: I volunteered briefly at a hospital and everyone was so cutthroat and stabbing eachother in the back for jobs and to get their friends/family in there was an anti-bullying poster in every nurses station (a large hospital in NYC manhattan). Every other person I talk to wants to go for nursing and is doing all kinds of programs but from what I have seen, there is no nursing shortage and there arent hundrds of jobs posted every month? I have read from many forums in allnurses that many cant find jobs after graduating. I also recently went for some medical exams where a nurse usually take vitals and gives shots-this was done by a medical assistant . The job she did was fine and she makes half of what a nurse does. Medical practices are no longer going to hire an expensive nurse when there are PLENTY of foreign nurses already here with the experience. The Philippines come here in droves from nursing schools there.

Medical assistants r taking our jobs

62 months ago

those where the good ole days in Warrenton, Missouri said: I have been a RN for 25yrs got fired no write up nothing for a lie that was told on me by the new grad. I had also noticed the new young manager was hiring fresh grads with only 6 weeks orientation and no classroom time and putting them all on night shift.Then slowly one by one I watched the seasoned nurses in the ICU get terminated over minor things. Starting to sound familiar? Looking for a job is useless once they hear terminated its as if your non existant at that
Point.sadly I miss the good ole days when it was less bean counters and corporate it makes me sad and question why i even got into nursing. If the bean counters can save 25,000 plus a year by firing the older nurses by gosh they will do it. I thought I would never be bitter about nursing but the way I see us older ones r being treated Sadly I am

Please write up what happened with the firing and hiring. All of this needs to be reported to date line 60 minutes. If u email it to me I will start collecting till I have 20 nurses come forward and send all of it in to the media I too know a few nurses going through this I blame socialized medicine.

62 months ago

those where the good ole days in Warrenton, Missouri said: Figures the rep was like a politician putting a spin on it instead of just saying "if we can save 25 to 30,000$ by putting a topped pay nurse out and replace them with a nurse starting off on beginners pay oh the bonus I will get this year"

This is the total truth !!!!!!!

Dejavucv in Castro Valley, California

62 months ago

It's not ACA which is driving the costs up, but the privatization of health care...ie money grubbers who want big profits for their executives and share holders and want nurses paid what amounts to slave wages..considering the amount of education required. I'm sorry you cannot find a job. You're right...with so many people out of work, hiring fewer nurses to do more and more work, and being over 50 does not make it a boom for you. Are you a veteran? Could you apply with VA with Veteran's preference? At this point, even if you have to work for these rip-off agencies, do it.....Just to get experience and show you are working....do home care....anything to get the experience. Good luck.

62 months ago

jencollinsrn@yahoo.com in Burtonsville, Maryland said: Please write up what happened with the firing and hiring. All of this needs to be reported to date line 60 minutes. If u email it to me I will start collecting till I have 20 nurses come forward and send all of it in to the media I too know a few nurses going through this I blame socialized medicine.

Don't blame socialized medicine. Blame the real culprit....CORPORATE MEDICINE which has been increasing since the 80's along with a certain groups whose singular intent is to privatize EVERYTHING so they can rake in huge profits. They want you to think "socialized medicine" is the culprit so it will take your attention from all the greedy, underhanded games they are playing.

62 months ago

Corporate is driving nursing out, but nursing has also been responsible for putting some nails in the coffin by allowing all these different categories of "nurses".....You can be an RN with 2 yrs schooling, or 4 years, have a degree in basket weaving and go through 2 yr graduate programs and get Masters in Nursing, be an LVN and get special 'certifications".....the list is endless. Nursing should have established one criteria for being an RN and if you want the respect of other professionals (Drs, engineers etc) that would mean a 4 year degree. They should have established that as the standard and stuck to it. You don't see Drs being able to be Drs with 2 yrs education or getting to do it on weekends or online......Plus only in the last few years have AMA allowed a few Drs in from other countries. Please also understand, it is the privatization of healthcare that is ruining health care delivery, not ACA though I know FOX and right wing radio will do everything to brainwash you into thinking it is.

62 months ago

moon in Odenton, Maryland said: Oh. Bull. Filipino and all other foreign nurses are taking jobs away from American citizens. They do not work any harder than American born nurses...but they work cheaper. The Filipinos I worked with did not understand the nuances and subtleties of English....I have no idea how they passed NCLEX.

We all have our own personal experiences and beliefs. Now I have never met a Filipino who has ever had any difficulties with English . As for working cheaper, do not forget also, that facilities paid for these nurses to get here, sponsored them, and I know of situations where they were given housing.Perhaps that is why they agreed to work for less in exchange.
I want to ask though where is your compassion ? What would you have done in their place ? Being the best and the brightest means nothing in a country with limited opportunities and oppressive conditions.Why be hostile towards a group that came here to better themselves?
Again, why scapegoat foriegn nurses ? American born nurses never organized as a group to get there demands met. Why blame a whole group of people who only took advantage of an opportunity ? Is this not what this country is all about ?

RNsupporter in Baltimore, Maryland

62 months ago

That's not true. Don't start accusing the nurses from The Phillippines on the reason why the hospitals aren't hiring the new grads or what have you. Jeez. The hospitals do what the hospitals want to do. This won't change anything. Stop scape coating. Yes, there are PLENTY of foreign nurses here ready to take the jobs of the American nurses. Uh, yup. sure there is. NOT!!!

62 months ago

RNsupporter in Baltimore, Maryland said: That's not true. Don't start accusing the nurses from The Phillippines on the reason why the hospitals aren't hiring the new grads or what have you. Jeez. The hospitals do what the hospitals want to do. This won't change anything. Stop scape coating. Yes, there are PLENTY of foreign nurses here ready to take the jobs of the American nurses. Uh, yup. sure there is. NOT!!!

So nyc mayor is boasting that there are 16,000 nursing openings that "guest foreign nurses" currently occupy. So the reality is that hospitals are not hiring citizens for this openings.... so what do you do?

RN needs everywhere

62 months ago

To the person who keeps digging on the Filipino population on earth. Have you ever considered the difficulty your job search has brought you to be in due to your attitude? I hope that when you interview that these negative comments don't come flying out of your mouth! With my personal experience dealing with nurses a lot of people have issues because of the entitlement associated to whatever delusion one has been feeding themselves. Sometimes being humble can go a long way believe it or not. We know you've gone to school for X amount of years and that you've dedicated yourself to this but also that you probably have a lot of loans to pay off. However nothing in this world is owed to you unless you earn it through hard work and planning. People forget that to know the whole alphabet you need to start at A and go through EACH letter to get and understand Z. Pick the sense out of the nonsense

Biff Bradford in Madison, Wisconsin

62 months ago

The lack of jobs is from the companies not filling open positions in order to stretch out staffing ratios to the limits of safety and beyond. The jobs are there, they're just not being offered to anyone.

62 months ago

You and some others seem to have a personal vendetta against foriegn nurses. You say they "steal" jobs from US nurses. Last I heard thievery, is a criminal act. The Board of Nurses does not grant licensure to criminals. Your real fight lies with the powers that be.The problem comes from within our own borders and not from without. The same as you have been oppressed, by our own broken oppressive system, over which you feel little power or control, foriegn nurses are in the same and worse predicament before leaving their homelands. They have chosen to leave their homelands via a legal process made possible here . Now they have taken action to try to make a better life for themselves here in the states. What have you done to change our broken healthcare system that has contributed to the betterment of US nurses ? Clue, getting on forums a scapegoating foriegn nurses, MAs, PCTS, and other allied healthcare workers , does not count.
If you set your emotionalism aside, then you could maybe stop
scapegoating so much.Work on getting your facts straight also. These
nurses may come from poor and underdeveloped countries but they are not the people, "born into poverty," that you mention. These are the more educated and upper class people that come here. An education in a country that has little to no options for advancement does no one any good. As a result many countries have experienced a brain drain of there best,and brightest. You need to know that among the Filipino nurses some of them were doctors, lawyers ,accountants, before coming here.
I am not mad at anyone who took advantage of all the pathways to legally come here. The doors were open and the opportunities were there. Stop acting as if these nurses crossed our borders illegally in the dark of night.
These

Brett Schwartz, Executive Director in Warsaw, Indiana

62 months ago

I am looking to hire an RN at Camp Livingston starting this Friday! Interested? Please e-mail me at brett@camplivingston.com

Good salary, room and board.

Available dates: June 13-July 10 and July 27-August 7.

We are located an 1.5 hours out side of Cincinnati.

PTAALSO in Middle River, Maryland

61 months ago

Jennifer Collins in Burtonsville, Maryland said: So much for being told no more out sourcing? All lies

You can't exactly outsource nursing. You just hire someone and pay them less. That's all.

61 months ago

Jennifer Collins in Burtonsville, Maryland said: I even applied to a phlebotomy job, I been doing that 11 years guess what I was declined for that job too.

Jeez, see this is why I'm getting out of nursing. i'm 34 and I'm a certified nursing assistant and I've been in nursing for over ten years. That's scary. Currently, i'm not even working in my field. I even took a job at home depot!!! OMG. I even had to take the fact that I'm a certified nursing assistant off of my resume so that I could get that job. I had no choice. There was a job fair and Verizon was looking for customer service reps. I told the guy who was there representing Verizon that I had customer service experience and ten years of it. He told me that it didn't count. I was so hurt and floored that I didn't know what to do. After ten years in the field and being on plenty of job interviews and being insulted and offended by the people interviewing me I was done. Just done. I was pissed off and done. I had to revamp my entire resume to get another job. I had no choice; I made up a brand new resume. I've got bills I've got to pay and I couldn't get a CNa at all. I'm not ashamed to admit. that is sad

61 months ago

Missiewifi in Brooklyn, New York said: So nyc mayor is boasting that there are 16,000 nursing openings that "guest foreign nurses" currently occupy. So the reality is that hospitals are not hiring citizens for this openings.... so what do you do?

Are you an actual nurse or are you just complaining about Foreigners? Jeez when times get tough let's blame the foreigners for taking the jobs away from people. Uh, yeah, right. that works every time.

61 months ago

PTAALSO in Middle River, Maryland said: Are you an actual nurse or are you just complaining about Foreigners? Jeez when times get tough let's blame the foreigners for taking the jobs away from people. Uh, yeah, right. that works every time.

I wasn't complaining about foreigners, I was pointing out that there are jobs, but they are already held by temps. The real issue are the hospitals hiring departments and CEO's.

Mike in Erie, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

bluesy51 in Troy, New York said: Just landed a nursing job finally. It is over an hour commute one way but it is per diem with a high pay rate.. no benefits. I work my *&% off as an evening supervisor for an 100 bed nursing /rehab facility. I often have to take a med cart due to frequent call outs.. Its a job.. and pays ok..
The problem is (besides the commute) is that my knees are giving out.. from years of abuse...

Who's calling off and why isn't there a RN that easily can be called in with the number of Nurses looking for work? With all of these RNs looking for work, there should be no reason why a supervisor needs to pull extra duty.. it would seem anyways.

I'm glad you found some work.

Perplexed in Cranston, Rhode Island

61 months ago

NurseM in Cypress, Texas~~~

Well I work and pick up weekends quite a bit. So possibly a number of reasons why you can't find anyone~

1. You don't pay enough (if I am working at $40/hr on a Saturday, why the heck would I want to work for mmmmmm...maybe somwhere in the mid/upper $20 range for you?

2. You don't offer benefits, health insurance etc, many places are breaking up a FT position to create these little crappy 16 hour a week jobs to prevent paying benefits.

3. Maybe your company has an AWFUL reputation, so who would want to work for you.

4. You have a HIGH turnover rate, again, who wants to work for a crappy company.

So maybe you should stop posting about your awesome whopping 16 hr a week job offer, and THINK harder why no one wants it. Your constant (nagging) posts gives me a sense that maybe people don't want to work for YOU...maybe YOU have a rep of breathing down subordinates backs ect etc....the problem isnt everyone else "NurseM in Cypress, Texas"

Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York

60 months ago

too true in Redmond, Oregon said: This started in California the legislature passed a bill due to the shortage of nurses. Once you are licensed in a state then it is easy to transfer it to another state. When you look at course for course education it does not measure up to an AND program which is the minimum to sit for the NCLEX.

May not be able to transfer license. Bulk of states have practice requirements, for example if you have not practiced in say 2 years they may not give a license to practice in their state. This especially impacts new grads like myself who graduated with a bachelor's with a 3.5 and have never been even called for an interview in 4 years. I am in New York and here under the law once you are licensed you are a nurse for life regardless of recent experience.This is per board of nursing website.Before anyone looks to move to get a job just be sure you can get a license there if you have not been practicing.

WannabeanRN?Goodluckwiththat in Buffalo, New York

59 months ago

I'm so happy I spent thousands of my dollars, thousands of my hours, and blood, sweat and tears to become an RN...on paper. I graduated at the top of my class last year with an ASN. I have not gotten a call for ONE interview. And the way the industry is moving, they insist you now need a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree. WHY would I spend ONE MORE DOLLAR on nursing education, when I can't even get a job INTERVIEW, let alone an actual position in a hospital. EXTREMELY discouraging. And the schools just keep enrolling, and taking money, knowing that new grads have little to NO chance of being hired in today's job market. That concludes my rant. Thank you for listening.

madeline in Ridge, New York

57 months ago

janet101360@gmail.com in Bothell, Washington said: I am also an RN with 30 years experience in all areas of med/surg/onc. I was also an assistant director . I live in Seattle and I also cannot find a job anywhere as they are hiring all lower paid RN's or taking on LPN's and having an RN oversee them like they use to do 20 yrs ago. Basically if you don't have a job now -you may never get one again as they start looking at how long it has been since you last worked in a field or specialty dept, not to mention the preference for minorities, new grads, vets. Why are they telling everyone to go into nursing when there really are no jobs unless you know someone who will hire you?

Well you are in luck ! move to long island , only white RNs get hired here.

Bluesy51 in New York in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

Mike in Erie, Pennsylvania said: Who's calling off and why isn't there a RN that easily can be called in with the number of Nurses looking for work? With all of these RNs looking for work, there should be no reason why a supervisor needs to pull extra duty.. it would seem anyways.

I'm glad you found some work.

Mike,,
thanx ,, but I since have gotten a temp job doing chart review. I feel that I have drifted farther and farther away from doing any real nursing.. My career is now pretty much over.
Good luck to all those older nurses out there.
Irene

Bluesy51 in New York in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

WannabeanRN?Goodluckwiththat in Buffalo, New York said: I'm so happy I spent thousands of my dollars, thousands of my hours, and blood, sweat and tears to become an RN...on paper. I graduated at the top of my class last year with an ASN. I have not gotten a call for ONE interview. And the way the industry is moving, they insist you now need a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree. WHY would I spend ONE MORE DOLLAR on nursing education , when I can't even get a job INTERVIEW, let alone an actual position in a hospital . EXTREMELY discouraging. And the schools just keep enrolling, and taking money, knowing that new grads have little to NO chance of being hired in today's job market. That concludes my rant. Thank you for listening.

I feel for you big time.. Yeah I see that as well .. not to mention all these online schools cropping up everywhere.. I was foolish enuf a couple of years ago in thinking that getting my masters would make a difference.. it doesnt matter.. the jobs are just not there..
Irene in NEW YORK

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.