RN LICENSURE REVOKED FOR HIPPA

Comments (5)

l3358 in Vancouver, Washington

70 months ago

2/11 Was dismissed from my job at a hospital. BON was notified of a picture taken by my phone and sent to a daytime CNA. When called in no picture was found
CNA stated she seen it with another nurse. Her best friend. Hired attorney who was useless. Never questioned the crediability of these 5 people (eventually after 2 1/2 years they found these witnesses. My attorney told me if I took the suspension dont ever reply because they have no intentions of giving it back to me. I took trial instead and lost hearsay was admissable. Now WA has suspended my license and I have trial in NOV 2013. I was also dx with Bipolar, attorney did not want to use my pschotherapy that I had been seeing for years. Stated "It could bring out to many things. A friend told me about Peoples with Disablities Act and states I may have a chance in keeping my WA license. I have no money. I used all my retirement 401k and home is in foreclosure. Had to pull son out of college as no funding for him. Any Hope for me!

annonymous in North Fort Myers, Florida

70 months ago

www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/index.html
Do your own homework. DO NOT rely purely upon your attorney. He/she sounds lazy. I worked in Medical Records for years and saw accidental HIPAA violations. Usually when a violation occurs (at least in a hospital) the HIM/CIS Department Head is notified, the President of the Hospital is notified and the Hospital Attorney is notified. By law, the Patient themselves has to be notified. Usually in the case of accidental HIPAA violations, an apology to the patient is required, a written warning goes into the employee file, etc. Depending on how the violation occurred that is. Sometimes the severity determines the fines, etc. A patient can and often gets the employee fired. If the violation is knowingly committed? The DOJ can be notified and will often prosecute on behalf of the patient. I've never heard of 'hear-say' being admitted as proof of a violation. Your rights demand that proof be 'shown'. That is why police cannot prosecute someone for murder without a body. Ride your lawyer's ass and get him/her on the ball.

l3358 in Vancouver, Washington

70 months ago

I did very much of my homework! According to the Hearsay only a a backside was showing with a message that I had posted earlier to my daughter about Bikini waxing. I never seen the pic nor did my boss. The BON hear clearly states " hearsay is admisable!. I am going to report my lawyer to the BAR. A union rep wrote a letter for me in his words stating " it clearly could have been anyone using her phone" they stated I was trying to blame a CNA on shift that night. I was not. I only answered their questions on who was working that night. My attorney told me that the investigator had quit and when I called the next day she was indeed there. Of course she was pleased I didnt take the suspension, she want the revocation. He again said If I win they would appeal and it would be another year. It was a no win at this point. i am more concerned with the upcoming trial. If they revoke it I am done with my career and life as I know it.

Michelle in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

There is a private and hidden group for nurses that are facing disciplinary action by the board and nursing in recovery. They are starting a nonprofit to protect nurses from the BON. You can apply to join the group here: www.nurseboards.com/nurses-in-recovery/

Nurse78 in Proctorville, Ohio

28 days ago

I was terminated from my hospital position as an Rn due to alleged hippa violation. I was flagged in 6 charts over a few months time of er patients that I had researched as potential admissions to the my floor and I was charge nurse. No malicious intent, purely clinical and did not share patient info. They didn’t stop there they reported me to the BON. Now being investigated and may face serious discipline and possible loss of license. Clean record of no complaints in 15 years of nursing only to be devastated over this. Husband is very ill can’t work I lost job, can’t afford lawyer and may be loosing my home now too.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.