Want to leave nursing, advice please

Page:  « First « Previous   12  13  14  15   

Smh1 in Woodbridge, Virginia

1 month ago

SMARTARNLeaving in Mesa, Arizona said: I have to say I have a Masters in Science of Nursing.

The degree is absolutely worthless. Being a RN is the worst mistake I've ever made.

Good Luck People

I decided not to get the MSN.. degree thank goodness, more debt.

TiredofNursing in Albuquerque, New Mexico

1 month ago

I started my MSN but realized early on that I wasn’t happy, decided on a Master or Public Health instead and I love it.

NimbleRN in Los Angeles, California

1 month ago

Help said: There has to be other opportunities besides just hospital work, like case management , research, etc, I just don't know where to find them?

There are tons of other ways Nurses can use their background and experiences. I'm always so surprised by the negativity around having a nursing degree. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry since 1999 after 9 years in different specialties and I can tell you, being an RN is in demand in pharmaceutical and medical device companies. If you want to talk, let me know!

Help4 in San Diego, California

1 month ago

Yes! How did you get experience/foot in the door to get into pharmaceutical industry?

NimbleRN in Los Angeles, California

1 month ago

I started networking with reps who called on my department and did informational interviews with departments that interacted with industry. I figured out how to make my RN skills transferable and enlisted a coach to help me with that. Is pharma a career you've thought about?

1 month ago

Yes, but I've been doing public health so unfortunately not many opportunities to network with reps, do you know any reps in san diego that you could connect me with?

1 month ago

Help4 in San Diego, California said: Yes, but I've been doing public health so unfortunately not many opportunities to network with reps, do you know any reps in san diego that you could connect me with?

Exactly, If you don't start out flying high with connections and experience your nursing career will be limited.

Daisymae1

1 month ago

NimbleRN in Los Angeles, California said: There are tons of other ways Nurses can use their background and experiences. I'm always so surprised by the negativity around having a nursing degree. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry since 1999 after 9 years in different specialties and I can tell you, being an RN is in demand in pharmaceutical and medical device companies. If you want to talk, let me know!

I want info! Would love to work in med devices (or pharm) and willing to travel. Any help would be appreciated! Joy S

hcpennin in Boise, Idaho

27 days ago

What did you end up doing?

27 days ago

Daisymae1 said: I want info! Would love to work in med devices (or pharm) and willing to travel. Any help would be appreciated! Joy S

Crickets....those jobs are fee and hard to get.

PJ2019 in Jacksonville, Florida

25 days ago

ALICE K in Miami, Florida said: The trend I noticed at the hospital I worked at for 20 yrs is to hire brand new BSN GRADS. THEY HAVE ALL BEEN YOUNG ATTRACTIVE nurses,,but clueless about floor nursing. They become quickly disillusioned and usually leave within a yr..

I have seen this time after time. New BSN grad offered and takes position. Moves on in 1 year loudly complaining the whole year worked how "hard" bedside is. Meanwhile....never mind the major $$ spent training them. SMH, sounds like a money losing strategy.

Daisymae1 in Florida

25 days ago

How about home health visiting nurse..i hear theres good money in it once you get the documenting/paperwork down... im recently separated and have a high mortgage and need to make some money ... floor nursing isnt cutting it...

24 days ago

How can I get into pharmaceutical industry/ medical sales as RN?

Smh1 in Fort Washington, Maryland

24 days ago

I just got a triage nurse job in a clinic, will I like it?

kmmke in Granite Bay, California

22 days ago

lucyshoes in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: Hello FindingMe, & others. I have been devastated and disillusioned by nursing, even after obtaining the BSN. I completely understand where FindingMe is coming from. It is exhausting thankless work, and is ultimately the blame profession of ages. No matter how hard I work, care and give and do, management always demands more, it is never good enough. Nurses are treated like children , just a means to the financial end of the institution(s). I too assumed I was entering a respected and respectful profession. I was hoping the advent of "evidence based practice" would produce autonomy and a chance to let critical thinking win out. Not so, thus far. Its posturing, mostly. At any rate, I was thinking along the lines of NP, or case management , virtual /remote nursing and/or case management. What does it take to get into this line of work? They all want "experience", but I am "stuck" in the bedside area. Any ideas? Suggestions? I have managed a project during my degree, even had some case mgmt experience 6 years ago when working for home health care (which that company no longer is around, as owner retired & sold it). Any suggestions on veering along a technical path or case management path?

I was a floor RN and was devastated by the so called profession. It is by far the most thankless and stressful job I have ever had. I have gone into case management and now I don't get to take care of patients, which was the only upside to nursing, and I am going to meetings, justifying care, and still hating my job. I wish I had paid attention to the RNs that told me not to do it. It is literally a crappy job that pays well. I don't have any school debt, but I still feel stuck. I am considering moving somewhere very small and inexpensive and trying to forget I was ever a nurse. In my opinion, case management is not the answer if you are already not happy with politics and administration.

MDShavano in San Antonio, Texas

16 days ago

I find that the best solution is to be content and appreciative in life. I know this is hard to do but it is very necessary. I can tell you first hand that even doctors feel what you are feeling. One thing you can do that helps clarify contentedness is to try other jobs or careers. You'll soon discover that the grass is always greener no matter what you happen to be doing. I feel that most nurses do not like where they are at because of patients and bad management. This is certainly understandable. However what they fail to realize is that this can be a reality for any career or even entrepreneur. No matter what you do in life you will have patients. They may be in the form of consumer customers or inter business customers but you will definitely have them. Consider, even if you own your own business your customers will definitely be your boss like it or not as well as any banks you may owe or other companies that you depend on. Just like patients they are people with different expectations and personalities. They can be super friendly or super hateful and mean depending on what is going on in their life just like patients. This is why it is super important to take a step back and pray for contentedness and appreciation. There are many individuals in other fields, careers, or entrepreneurs who wish badly that they had an RN license and could be a nurse.

natashad123

16 days ago

MDShavano in San Antonio, Texas said: I find that the best solution is to be content and appreciative in life. I know this is hard to do but it is very necessary. I can tell you first hand that even doctors feel what you are feeling. One thing you can do that helps clarify contentedness is to try other jobs or careers. You'll soon discover that the grass is always greener no matter what you happen to be doing. I feel that most nurses do not like where they are at because of patients and bad management. This is certainly understandable. However what they fail to realize is that this can be a reality for any career or even entrepreneur. No matter what you do in life you will have patients. They may be in the form of consumer customers or inter business customers but you will definitely have them. Consider, even if you own your own business your customers will definitely be your boss like it or not as well as any banks you may owe or other companies that you depend on. Just like patients they are people with different expectations and personalities. They can be super friendly or super hateful and mean depending on what is going on in their life just like patients. This is why it is super important to take a step back and pray for contentedness and appreciation. There are many individuals in other fields, careers, or entrepreneurs who wish badly that they had an RN license and could be a nurse.

MDShavano in San Antonio such a great post!!! You are the only person who brought up KEY POINTS regarding to paradigm shift, attitude and perspective. I love what you are doing and would like to learn more. I honestly came to realize this on a spiritual level- gratitude. You are right that we have to "learn" how to do it :)

MDShavano in San Antonio, Texas

16 days ago

Thank you! I believe in reading your reply that you've already learned as much as anyone can:) The 'more'comes from grace alone. Oh heart, oh soul, see, and hear. Let me be still; let me be thankful!

15 days ago

MDShavano in San Antonio, Texas said: Thank you! I believe in reading your reply that you've already learned as much as anyone can:) The 'more'comes from grace alone. Oh heart, oh soul, see, and hear. Let me be still; let me What religion are you?

Sar204 in New York

9 days ago

I am approaching 20 years as a nurse.... I hate it and need out but also need to pay the bills... help I need options... I don’t want to become the 60 year old grumpy nurse just trying to make it to retirement

Sar204 in New York

9 days ago

NimbleRN in Los Angeles, California said: There are tons of other ways Nurses can use their background and experiences. I'm always so surprised by the negativity around having a nursing degree. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry since 1999 after 9 years in different specialties and I can tell you, being an RN is in demand in pharmaceutical and medical device companies. If you want to talk, let me know!

I would love to learn how I can use my degree in a different manner.... I live in PA

Sar204 in New York

9 days ago

worstcareerchoiceever in Columbia, Maryland said: All those ads in the media are very misleading. Nursing is not flexible and you don't have a plethora of job choices when you complete school or even after gaining a considerable amount of experience. Nursing is, in fact, very limiting. I still have to work for several more years and have found myself stuck in a dead-end nursing job with no promise of advancement. I just spent a ton of money on completing a BSN and still cannot find a decent job,especially one outside of patient care. I don't want to risk going back for a MSN only to be told I have no experience in any job I apply for. It's too late to start another career, especially one in the food industry. Any suggestions, tips, pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I have an MSN and am still in your shoes... nursing sucks..

Doesam1 in Portland, Oregon

8 days ago

Joe Earl in Garner, North Carolina said: Buffie,

I encourage you to stick to the healthcare field even if you decide to leave nursing. With all of your experience you would make an awesome administrator. If the healthcare industry is as messed up as you say it is (and I agree it is pretty messed up) we can't afford to lose people like you who really care.

Joe Earl, www.the-undergrad.com

The healthcare is a mess. I have a 20 year old new grad that is my boss! She is clueless. I have been a nurse for 23 years. I'm seeing more and more of this behavior. They are hiring kids to advise the senior nurses. It's laughable. Sadly, on my way out! You better all pray you don't get sick in the next 20 years. I am. The new grads know it all. They will let you quit breathing while on their cell phone. Never look ☝ up. It is horrifyingly scary!

MVG1958 in Denver, Colorado

8 days ago

After 34 years in nursing, I have been black-balled by the Nursing Profession, as a result of the poor choices I made in my life over 25 years ago. It does not matter if you change your life, your past will follow you and haunt you right out of jobs. The Colorado Board of Nursing has revealed my past to the public and my trash from the past keeps me unemployable in the field of Nursing. I am now 61 and have no prospects. When I use my nursing career as historical job experience, anyone just has to look me up in the database and I am thrown out in the trash. Doomed, down and defeat by the profession that taught me to care for anyone and everyone.

careerstudent in Crockett, Texas

8 days ago

If the original OP ever reads this, lol...a little about education for medical billing and coding.
I spent the past 4 semesters in the Health IT program for medical billing and coding ((AAS)) degree / with one class, one clinical / and the RHIT review to do...i switched courses and went into the LVN program (missed the deadline for the ADN)...

long story short - to answer some of your questions:

don't do the online programs for med billing/and coding - as in, don't do the online only schools.
go to a 2 year college and do the official AAS degree plan. Especially one that is geared towards AHIMA and getting your RHIT...that is what you can test for with the AAS....
you can test for the RHIA ONLY if you have a bachelors in health information management
otherwise... you can get the associates, test for the RHIT, and get a bachelor's in pretty much anything like management / health professions technology etc so that you can get mgmt positions in the health info field...or bachelors in educations and teach it.
again...to take the RHIT...you have to have an AAS in health info technology
to take the RHIA... you have to have a BS-HIM (bachelors of science in health information management...
AHIMA won't let you test for the RHIA without it.

keep in mind, according to my instructors.. medical billing and coding is eventually going to be done by done by computers, and you will be phased out of actually coding, BUT you will become an auditor instead... checking the computer for mistakes and making sure everything was coded correctly...HTH

TracyD930 in Independence, Missouri

8 days ago

MVG1958 in Denver, Colorado said: After 34 years in nursing, I have been black-balled by the Nursing Profession, as a result of the poor choices I made in my life over 25 years ago. It does not matter if you change your life, your past will follow you and haunt you right out of jobs. The Colorado Board of Nursing has revealed my past to the public and my trash from the past keeps me unemployable in the field of Nursing. I am now 61 and have no prospects. When I use my nursing career as historical job experience, anyone just has to look me up in the database and I am thrown out in the trash. Doomed, down and defeat by the profession that taught me to care for anyone and everyone.

So you know how to care for everyone else except yourself, an industry who could reach out to help, but chooses to not do so. Nurses are supposedly in short supply, but why is it so hard for us to find a job? I can't even qualify for a job giving immunizations. We need to band together, I just have no idea how we can help each other. I'm so sorry this is the industry we chose.

Page:  « First « Previous   12  13  14  15   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.