Reference checks by prior attornes I worked for - what can/can't they say?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

SpazzySpaz in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

91 months ago

Hello, I had participated in these forums about a year ago and can't remember what my user name was :) I will have to figure it out. Anyway, over a year ago I was fired from my paralegal position. I have never been let go from any law firm. I was let go b/c I was "not a good fit" - more like I couldn't please the attorney I worked for. Oh, he was so nice to the clients and the public, but just awful to me. My skin just wasn't thick enough.

I have been a contractor at a major company since then and my contract is ending. I've decided to apply to some firms that I hope do not deal with his firm. I am hoping I can find a good one. Getting a general admin job now would just not happen - there are way too many applicants.

I know lawyers talk. I know they talk more than they should. I am concerned about reference checks. This firm does not have an H.R. department. I know legally references are to only give dates of employment and job title. Is it legal for the prospective employer to ask if they would hire me back or why I left? I know the prior attorney can say that he let me go, albeit not very ethical or possibly legal, but how do I handle this? I am very concerned.

A friend of mine was going to call as a prospective employer for me and determine what he would say. I don't want to take the position off of my resume, either, as everyone can know everyone and I don't want to lie.

Any assistance would be helpful. Thanks!

SpazzySpaz in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

91 months ago

"Employers can say anything they want about former employees. Whether it's smart for them to do so is the issue."

I agree. I don't plan on any type of legal action - that is just not worth it - but I was wondering what technically can be asked and what "legally" should be said.

I'm running out of job options and since I have the experience, I have to try to get back into the field or I will be unemployed for a long time...I probably couldn't even start the taco stand that I wanted. (I found my old user name -- dingdong).

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.