Do you like your job as a radiologic technologist?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

TryingToDecide

130 months ago

How do you like your job as a readiologic technologist?
How demanding is it?
Is it hard?
Is it gross?
anything else...

Tell me what you love, what you hate, everything... Please.

Thank-you!

130 months ago

I am a Rad Tech student. I think I can answer this :)

How demanding is it?
It is very demanding since we are the eyes of the doctors, and each of us can take care of many patients a day

Is it hard?
It is not hard, just make sure you know your anatomy in side out. Physics is fun (if you like electrical stuff, I shocked myself countless times playing with the plug and the circuit box at home when I was a kid)

Is it gross?
It is gross to you only if you are a selfish and heartless person

anything else... ?
The technologist out there can come to work in a their bad days and guest who they will take it out upon, but only the other hand, many of them are very nice and helpful

What do I love? : The part where I am done with the exam, taken the patient back to the room and she tells me that I am the kindest X-Ray tech she'd every met since I try my best to be gentle with her broken pelvis
What I hate: When I am asking history question, trying to know more about the patient and my preceptor (techologist) walk in and tell me that I am slower than a 70 years old man
LOL

You'll love this job. Trust me

Jess in Virginia Beach, Virginia

78 months ago

Newbie said: I am a Rad Tech student. I think I can answer this :)

How demanding is it?
It is very demanding since we are the eyes of the doctors, and each of us can take care of many patients a day

Is it hard?
It is not hard, just make sure you know your anatomy in side out. Physics is fun (if you like electrical stuff, I shocked myself countless times playing with the plug and the circuit box at home when I was a kid)

Is it gross?
It is gross to you only if you are a selfish and heartless person

anything else... ?
The technologist out there can come to work in a their bad days and guest who they will take it out upon, but only the other hand, many of them are very nice and helpful

What do I love? : The part where I am done with the exam, taken the patient back to the room and she tells me that I am the kindest X-Ray tech she'd every met since I try my best to be gentle with her broken pelvis
What I hate: When I am asking history question, trying to know more about the patient and my preceptor (techologist) walk in and tell me that I am slower than a 70 years old man
LOL

You'll love this job. Trust me

What I dont like about the job: crappy hours, staying late all of the time, no breaks, carrying this annoying pager, working weekends and holidays rude patients, rude doctors, rude nurses, most of my co workers, my manager

What I do like? when I clock out
Radiology SUCKS

Saraah in Virginia Beach, Virginia

68 months ago

Lol. You sound like me. I hate working in radiology. Ugh

68 months ago

I have had 4 different hospital jobs on MRI thinking it has got to get better and it nevdr does. I currently work at an out patient center and I still don't like it. I am def going to change careers when economy picks up. The out patient facility is better because no call and I usually get out on time ( more then working hospital) and I do not have to work any holidays. However, they schedule patients every 30 min which is ridiculous and I still do not get any breaks or lunch. I have to work every weekend 12 hour shifts and no open slots for lunch. I'm more then sick and tired of the lack of breaks and lunches and crappy work hours and call etc. I may continue this as prn just to keep skills up or to make little extra money but I'm already looking into office type job. I may have less pay but I will have more of a life and a lot less stress. When I come home after working full day in MRI I am exhausted mentally and physically and I'm in my 30s. Can't imagine doing this crap in my 50 and 60s

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

68 months ago

TryingToDecide said: How do you like your job as a readiologic technologist?
How demanding is it?
Is it hard?
Is it gross?
anything else...
Thank-you!

It is extremely demand, whether you work in a clinic or hospital
The job isn't very hard and after awhile becomes very routine, so much so that you can do it in your sleep. Get used to doing lots of CXR's and Abdomen Series.
It's only gross if you don't mind blood, urine, stools(not the kind you sit on), body order, etc.
I actually didn't mind my interactions with the patients. I always knew I was making a difference.
What I didn't like was the physical tole it took my body. It's an ok job when you are younger but as a you get older all those years of pushing portables and lifting patients has a cumulative effect on your body. Your co-workers are cut throat and they will sell you out or out right lie if it means saving themselves. You rarely if ever get to interact with the radiologists anymore. To management you are just a warm body. You will work weekends, holidays, evenings and nights. If somebody calls in sick or is on vacation who works nights, evenings, evenings, or weekends you will have to fill in at a moments notice regardless of what you may have planned. Your fellow techs won't care, just so long as it isn't them who has to work those hours. You do get shift differential which is nice. There is a ceiling on your base pay. After so many years at one place you will no longer get any merit raises. My ceiling happened after I had worked 12yrs. I only got cost of living. There are few management positions in Radiology and those are very difficult to get.
After 20+yrs I turned in my dosimeter for a job in IT. I couldn't be happier.

xray08 in Tulsa, Oklahoma

68 months ago

Been a tech since 08, I am going into nursing because I can make the most $$$ out the graduation gate. I thought about IT also but id like to learn Spanish and become a nurse and being male I can ask for more $$$$ than most. My mother is a nurse and works in a clinic and makes over 35 and hour and that's in Oklahoma which is a lower paying state. I also like being in the health care industry but the radiology field is over saturated and if you are even thinking about going to school for this don't have high expectations of job security, Job stability, or anything like that. If you lose your job for any reason at all you better have a large savings to live on for quite a while. Good luck to anyone that wants to walk this path with all the warnings available.

Victoria in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Ok so reading some of these comments is seriously freaking me out because I'm considering getting my associates for radiography. One of the reasons I wanted to get my degree is because I've been working a dead end job for the past few years and am tired of living paycheck to paycheck, barely making ends meet and lack of stability. I want a secure future financially so figured something in the medical field would be ideal but after reading some of the comments, now I'm second guessing this..

67 months ago

Victoria in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: Ok so reading some of these comments is seriously freaking me out because I'm considering getting my associates for radiography. One of the reasons I wanted to get my degree is because I've been working a dead end job for the past few years and am tired of living paycheck to paycheck, barely making ends meet and lack of stability. I want a secure future financially so figured something in the medical field would be ideal but after reading some of the comments, now I'm second guessing this..

It is better to figure it out now than after you graduate. BTW, starting in 2015 you will be required to have Bachelors degree, doesn't matter what field the Bachelors is in, in order to sit for boards.

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

67 months ago

It's a saturated field, that's why you get treated like that. They can work people hard, and there isn't anywhere to go. If you leave they hire someone else.
Long hours, no lunch, given too much to do in not enough time, rushing patients in and out. Patients get mad when having to wait, so they yell at you, but it's not your fault. You need a certain amount of time to do things. And the last patient took too long getting dressed, which holds you back...

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

67 months ago

Jess in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: What I dont like about the job: crappy hours, staying late all of the time, no breaks, carrying this annoying pager, working weekends and holidays rude patients, rude doctors, rude nurses, most of my co workers, my manager

Radiology SUCKS

You told it like it is. Yet, people keep going to school for this stuff, because they get told if they are good they will get a job.
It makes no sense, since there are limited amounts of jobs like this to begin with. One wonders where they all think they are going to work. So what if they think they are good...if there are no jobs, it won't matter.

AGRusco in Port Orchard, Washington

67 months ago

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska said: It is better to figure it out now than after you graduate. BTW, starting in 2015 you will be required to have Bachelors degree, doesn't matter what field the Bachelors is in, in order to sit for boards.

is this true?! I am almost done with my preq classes and I was planning on applying to a few programs starting this winter/spring. What is the starting pay for radiology techs? I was planning on doing MRI or something else but now I have no idea and I do NOT want to do nursing....

66 months ago

AGRusco in Port Orchard, Washington said: is this true?! I am almost done with my preq classes and I was planning on applying to a few programs starting this winter/spring. What is the starting pay for radiology techs? I was planning on doing MRI or something else but now I have no idea and I do NOT want to do nursing....

My mistake. You'll be required to have an Associates.
www.arrt.org/Certification/Academic-Degree-Requirement

65 months ago

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska said: It is extremely demand, whether you work in a clinic or hospital
The job isn't very hard and after awhile becomes very routine, so much so that you can do it in your sleep. Get used to doing lots of CXR's and Abdomen Series.
It's only gross if you don't mind blood, urine, stools(not the kind you sit on), body order, etc.
I actually didn't mind my interactions with the patients. I always knew I was making a difference.
What I didn't like was the physical tole it took my body. It's an ok job when you are younger but as a you get older all those years of pushing portables and lifting patients has a cumulative effect on your body. Your co-workers are cut throat and they will sell you out or out right lie if it means saving themselves. You rarely if ever get to interact with the radiologists anymore. To management you are just a warm body. You will work weekends, holidays, evenings and nights. If somebody calls in sick or is on vacation who works nights, evenings, evenings, or weekends you will have to fill in at a moments notice regardless of what you may have planned. Your fellow techs won't care, just so long as it isn't them who has to work those hours. You do get shift differential which is nice. There is a ceiling on your base pay. After so many years at one place you will no longer get any merit raises. My ceiling happened after I had worked 12yrs. I only got cost of living. There are few management positions in Radiology and those are very difficult to get.
After 20+yrs I turned in my dosimeter for a job in IT. I couldn't be happier.

That is exactly where I am headed. IT! I am starting school end of August. I have worked in radiology for 12 years and I am burnt out. No way in heck am I going to be in my 50 and 60, pushing and pulling 400 pound patients, covering call where I get woken up from my sleep at 3 am then still have to complete that days full 8-12 hour shift, work every weekend and holiday

65 months ago

Saraah in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: That is exactly where I am headed. IT! I am starting school end of August. I have worked in radiology for 12 years and I am burnt out. No way in heck am I going to be in my 50 and 60, pushing and pulling 400 pound patients, covering call where I get woken up from my sleep at 3 am then still have to complete that days full 8-12 hour shift, work every weekend and holiday

There are a million things I hate about radiology (especially MRI) since that is where most of my experience is from. I hate the lack of breaks and lunch, working crappy shifts, getting my schedule changed to meet the needs of the department without sufficient notice. Believe me, this will tick you off when you have something planned and your boss tells you I know you work sec shift but for the next 3 weeks you will be working third shift (yes this does happen in radiology), I am sick and tired of working every holiday, weekend, and mid shifts, and the patients are so crabby! You have to be a real a hole kisser to excel in radiology. You have to kiss the radiologist butt, managers butt, patients butt, in fact, this job should be called the professional butt kisser

65 months ago

xray08 in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Been a tech since 08, I am going into nursing because I can make the most $$$ out the graduation gate. I thought about IT also but id like to learn Spanish and become a nurse and being male I can ask for more $$$$ than most. My mother is a nurse and works in a clinic and makes over 35 and hour and that's in Oklahoma which is a lower paying state. I also like being in the health care industry but the radiology field is over saturated and if you are even thinking about going to school for this don't have high expectations of job security, Job stability, or anything like that. If you lose your job for any reason at all you better have a large savings to live on for quite a while. Good luck to anyone that wants to walk this path with all the warnings available.

You are very right about radiology being over saturated. I have worked in radiology for 12 years with 9 10 of those being in MRI and believe me, if you lose your job, you will probably not find another one (or a full time one) for another 2-3 years. New grads are not landing jobs. Anyone thinking of going into radiology school including Nuc Med and Ultraound, should think about something else. This field might start to open up in maybe 10 years, but for now, don't waste your time and money...and it sucks anyways. I really do not know too many happy radiology techs

65 months ago

AGRusco in Port Orchard, Washington said: is this true?! I am almost done with my preq classes and I was planning on applying to a few programs starting this winter/spring. What is the starting pay for radiology techs? I was planning on doing MRI or something else but now I have no idea and I do NOT want to do nursing....

I have worked in MRI for about 10 years and the market is more then saturated. If you do not have 5 years of experience most employers will not even consider you because 50 other applicants applied for the same position. I currently work in Michigan and this hospital actually took on a few new grads....so with a lot of luck, you may land a job, however, x-ray and MRI and CT is completely saturated. If I were you, I would start another career. Look on the govt job outlook websites to see what is in demand and see if there is anything you might like. Just to give you heads up about radiology, you will work crappy hours such as sec and third shifts, cover call (hospitals are staffed 24/7 with x ray) so your call will be minimal there, only if some one calls off or vacation, but a lot of hospitals do not have third shift MRI and believe me, the call is horrible. It is no fun waking up at 3 am all of the time to come in and do a patient with back pain of 3 years or diabetic toe, there is a lot of physical lifting , heavy patients, moving heavy equipment, and patients can be mean to you, you will be cleaning up pee and poop occasionally, expected to have your schedule changed quite a bit to meet needs of department, work holidays and weekends. I had no clue on any of that when I started radiology. It is extremely hard to have smaller kids while working this career because of the constant schedule changes, and picking up shifts etc..and forget about breaks and lunch, they pretty much do not exist in radiology. In my opinion, this may be a career for someone in their 20 or 30 with intention to get into management or something else

65 months ago

Saraah in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I have worked in MRI for about 10 years and the market is more then saturated. If you do not have 5 years of experience most employers will not even consider you because 50 other applicants applied for the same position. I currently work in Michigan and this hospital actually took on a few new grads....so with a lot of luck, you may land a job, however, x-ray and MRI and CT is completely saturated. If I were you, I would start another career. Look on the govt job outlook websites to see what is in demand and see if there is anything you might like. Just to give you heads up about radiology, you will work crappy hours such as sec and third shifts, cover call (hospitals are staffed 24/7 with x ray) so your call will be minimal there, only if some one calls off or vacation, but a lot of hospitals do not have third shift MRI and believe me, the call is horrible. It is no fun waking up at 3 am all of the time to come in and do a patient with back pain of 3 years or diabetic toe, there is a lot of physical lifting , heavy patients, moving heavy equipment, and patients can be mean to you, you will be cleaning up pee and poop occasionally, expected to have your schedule changed quite a bit to meet needs of department, work holidays and weekends. I had no clue on any of that when I started radiology. It is extremely hard to have smaller kids while working this career because of the constant schedule changes, and picking up shifts etc..and forget about breaks and lunch, they pretty much do not exist in radiology. In my opinion, this may be a career for someone in their 20 or 30 with intention to get into management or something else

But like someone else in this board said, I cant imagine being in my 50 and 60 pushing and pulling heavy patients all day and night, waking up at 3 am all of the time from the pager going off, not being able to rest some time during the work day for a quick bite to eat and just be able to

65 months ago

Saraah in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: But like someone else in this board said, I cant imagine being in my 50 and 60 pushing and pulling heavy patients all day and night, waking up at 3 am all of the time from the pager going off, not being able to rest some time during the work day for a quick bite to eat and just be able to

rest your body for a sec, and work weekends and miss time with your kids and grandkids.....

65 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: It's a saturated field, that's why you get treated like that. They can work people hard, and there isn't anywhere to go. If you leave they hire someone else.
Long hours, no lunch, given too much to do in not enough time, rushing patients in and out. Patients get mad when having to wait, so they yell at you, but it's not your fault. You need a certain amount of time to do things. And the last patient took too long getting dressed, which holds you back...

Im feeling what you said 100 %.I worked in Norfolk VA and they scheduled out patients from 7 am to 11 pm and only one open slot to do in patients and ER patients. We ran late every night and got screamed at all the time by patients. I currently work 12 hour shifts and they do not give any open slots for lunch. So we work as we scan. One time I had a family member in the MRI room with the patient who smiled at me as I took a big bite of my sandwich while scanning. We are not suppose tio eat at the scanners but no way else to eat....sucks

41 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: It's a saturated field, that's why you get treated like that. They can work people hard, and there isn't anywhere to go. If you leave they hire someone else.

You must work in MRI ?? No breaks , no lunches , not enough time to do exams , patients scream at you all the time , get out late. The list goes on. Can't wait to get out of this awful career

Garcma2 in Jacksonville, Florida

38 months ago

saraah in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: That is exactly where I am headed. IT! I am starting school end of August. I have worked in radiology for 12 years and I am burnt out. No way in heck am I going to be in my 50 and 60, pushing and pulling 400 pound patients, covering call where I get woken up from my sleep at 3 am then still have to complete that days full 8-12 hour shift, work every weekend and holiday

Hey Sarah,

Hope all is well! I am actually in school to become a radiologic tech and was wondering if there was a way I could contact you regarding some insight in this career? Thanks a bunch!

38 months ago

garcma2 in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hey Sarah,

Hope all is well! I am actually in school to become a radiologic tech and was wondering if there was a way I could contact you regarding some insight in this career? Thanks a bunch!

my advice ... Run ... Don't do it

Shannon in Erie, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

I lost my job in 2009 because of lay offs at my hospital. I worked various jobs in and out of the medical field, until just recently (this year) when I got my foot back in the door of xray. Now I'm wondering why? The two previous hospitals I worked at gave me a regular schedule and every third weekend. Now they pay less, I had to move to a smaller city, and I get rotated to every shift, and work in a different location almost every day, plus I work two weekends a month. I don't think it's worth it anymore. When I started there was a tech shortage now there are so many techs looking for work, that management knows they can do anything. If you leave there will be someone else to take your place shortly.

Quite honestly, its not that much more to be a nurse and they make way more money. I tell everyone that asks me to become an RN instead. If you do decide to still become a tech- know this. Since so many trades schools are teaching MA's to do x-ray, our profession has started going downhill. Less money, more responsibilities. If you want to help people- become a nurse, more management possiblities, lots of different types of nursing postions- from ICU,care managers, or for a doctors office. If you get bored you could go back and become a CRNP or NP. I only wish schools would offer an RT to RN program like they do for LPN's.

33 months ago

garcma2 in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hey Sarah,

Wow ... good luck. I hope you are around 20 years old because if you are starting Radiology as new career in your 40s ... well ... good luck with that.

Nancy in Garland, Texas

25 months ago

How demanding is it?
Is it hard?
Is it gross?
anything else...

Tell me what you love, what you hate, everything..!

Thank-you!

I can honestly say I hate my job as a radiology tech. It is so repetitive. Not challenging and it's hard to move up in the field if you don't move onto CT or MRI you will not advance in your career. It is kind of gross if you work in a hospital or a clinic that does studies beyond basic X-ray like enemas and barium studies. It is really disgusting actually. I wish I had never been accepted into the radiology program because it would have pushed me to do something else.

Oh and it's not really demanding.

giulia blanca in richmond, California

23 months ago

Hello, so did you end up being accepted to the program?
Have you graduated?

Icdobson in Tucson, Arizona

18 months ago

I’m currently in the first of my 4 clinical rotations for Rad tech. I have been an EMT for sometime and hate my job. Both when I was in the field and now that I work in an Emergency room as an ER tech. I know a few people that are rad techs including my mother in law. All of which recommended the career to me. I was apprehensive through out the first 2 semesters which at my school are all didactic now that I’m in clinicals working 4 shifts a week for free I feel I’ve made a huge mistake. I’ve barely started X-ray and haven’t even graduated and I am miserable. I was hoping to find some inspiration that it’ll get better when I graduate but all of these comments make me want to run for the hills. Aside from the pay there just doesn’t seem to be much benefit from the career.

Anonymous in Haworth, New Jersey

18 months ago

Icdobson in Tucson, Arizona said: I’m currently in the first of my 4 clinical rotations for Rad tech. I have been an EMT for sometime and hate my job. Both when I was in the field and now that I work in an Emergency room as an ER tech. I know a few people that are rad techs including my mother in law. All of which recommended the career to me. I was apprehensive through out the first 2 semesters which at my school are all didactic now that I’m in clinicals working 4 shifts a week for free I feel I’ve made a huge mistake. I’ve barely started X-ray and haven’t even graduated and I am miserable. I was hoping to find some inspiration that it’ll get better when I graduate but all of these comments make me want to run for the hills. Aside from the pay there just doesn’t seem to be much benefit from the career.

As a successful rad tech, I would recommend that you quit and go for nursing at a bsn level or beyond since you have experience at an emergency level. Hell, you can be a PA if you want. There are not much jobs, but there are always opportunities and openings for nursing and mid level practioners. It is up to you. Good luck.

Lostinradiology

18 months ago

I feel like if you are already feeling this way into your clinicals you should probably stop. I felt the same way and I really regret not quitting sooner and starting something else. There isn’t much room for advancement unless you do CT or MRI and even those techs complain and hardly ever get breaks. Try and do something with a rewarding career that you can feel proud of.

Lostinradiology

18 months ago

Anonymous in Haworth, New Jersey said: As a successful rad tech, I would recommend that you quit and go for nursing at a bsn level or beyond since you have experience at an emergency level. Hell, you can be a PA if you want. There are not much jobs, but there are always opportunities and openings for nursing and mid level practioners. It is up to you. Good luck.

I feel like if you are already feeling this way into your clinicals you should probably stop. I felt the same way and I really regret not quitting sooner and starting something else. There isn’t much room for advancement unless you do CT or MRI and even those techs complain and hardly ever get breaks. Try and do something with a rewarding career that you can feel proud of.

Tommy in Tucson, Arizona

18 months ago

I have been an X-ray tech for 28 years, 57 years old, and still love my profession. There is no perfect job, all have good and bad, we take the good, and thank God we don't live in a third world country, who are starving and would kill to have a fraction of what an RT makes in the states. I have worked hospitals, surgery, clinics, pain management, and now mobile radiology, always had a job, had to make some life adjustments, but still feel age is not important, unless you are a physical wreck. Many older techs are just out of shape, obese, and overeat junk food, and then complain they cant physically do the job. Not trying to sound mean, but come on, if you all hate your profession so much, then get out of it, so others who have a passion for the patient, and helping others can step in, its hard to work with Rt's who hate their job, complain, and want more money! I say count your blessings, serve the patient, love your neighbor, and do your job with a great loving and caring attitude. I did not get into radiology to be rich, or have a 'comfy" schedule, but to serve those who were in pain, hurting, and sick, its not about me, but helping others, even when your shift sucks, you don't get paid enough, long hours, no lunch, no breaks, etc, again, go live in Mexico or the Philippines, and see how humble they are, to work a job that pays a buck a day, even with a college education!

Thank you Tommy! in Durham, North Carolina

17 months ago

Well said! I have been in the medical field on both the administrative (health insurance) and clinical side (histology). I was disenchanted with histology after years. Histology, just like other allied health professions have their good and bad points, as well as their occupational hazzards. I am starting radiography school at a community college here in the fall. Thank God I've have worked in a hospital with other healthcare professionals, otherwise, I woould probably start to re-think my decision. We all have to make a living, preferrably a comfortable one, but at the end of the day you have to be happy with what your'e doing, and knowing that youve made a difference in someone's life does just that. As a person who's had broken bones in the past, I've always appreciated a tech that was both comforting and reassuring. I remember every last one that I've interacted with. Whether or not you'll live, love or dare I say hate your profession, depends on the person, not the job itself. As you so eloquently stated, " you don't like the profession, ...leave" find something else to do that makes you happy. Lastly, If your'e waiting on a perfect schedule, you may want to stay out of healthcare altogether. Patients need care/ 24/7. Shadow someone in whatever profession you may want to go into to help you make an informed decision, and try to stay positive.

Good job. Good pay. People whine 2 much. in El Paso, Texas

15 months ago

I agree these are just a bunch of whiners just like the people at a lot of the hospitals I've rotated in. I'm about to graduate school and I'm happy to start. Starting pay in this area is from 18-24 an hr with as much overtime as you would like. Tons of jobs around here. As a matter of fact I just got hired as a tech aide because of the lack of quality techs around. Dont be discouraged after all that I've seen it's worth it. Worst case scenario it's a GREAT stepping stone that will allow you to do other things if you so wish it. I quit my previous job in the oilfields to be in school as a tech. I worked 100 hour weeks in 105 degree heat in the dessert covered in oil sweating like a pig. This job is cake compared to what I did, both physically and mentally. I'm the top of my class and it's not even close because I WANT to help people as well as myself and understand what needs to be done. Working OT is a blessing to those who have nothing but yall seem like pampered babies just taking a good job for granted. People around here also complain like most people here but a lot of us love working together and have fun doing it. Seems like some of you dont value yourselves enough to either speak up for yourselves and let your worth be known at those places you work. If you dont like your job there are 2 options, quit or push for a change. Simple as that.

But anyway like I said plenty of jobs out there with good pay (wife is a nurse by the way and she gets home waaayyy more stressed than me because of the tons of charting and constant yelling from doctors and ungrateful patients all day) . As opposed to us who get the patients then give them back. Lol So yeah keep thinking nursing is better. Lol My wife also says she envys how the techs just stop by in good moods to take quick picks then leave without having to chart.

Well back to the point. Dont run away it's good and it's only going to get better. Number 1 patients we care for are elderly and the boomers are coming!

F_S_E in Overland Park, Kansas

15 months ago

Starting pay in this area is from 18-24 an hr...

That is approx what RT's were making in 1994.

Sad.

radtech in Houston, Texas

15 months ago

F_S_E in Overland Park, Kansas said: Starting pay in this area is from 18-24 an hr...

That is approx what RT's were making in 1994.

Sad.

Were you even a tech back then? Cause I know the rate was much lower at the time you are talking about.

F_S_E in Overland Park, Kansas

15 months ago

Yes, I graduated in 1981.

I'm RT R CT MR.

Texas has never paid that well for RT's, btw.

Lostinradiology in Dallas, Texas

15 months ago

Baylor starts you out very low around $18. My first job I started out at $23 in an out patient facility.

radtech in Houston, Texas

15 months ago

F_S_E in Overland Park, Kansas said: Yes, I graduated in 1981.

I'm RT R CT MR.

Texas has never paid that well for RT's, btw.

Ya so you should know that in 1994 the going rate for a Technologist was under $14/hour correct?

For anyone else in the thread, as far as salaries go - if you want to make more money get a different modality. Just like in any job field - the more certifications, the more you learn - the more you get paid. Just by going to a 3 month CT program, you can increase said $19/hour to $28-$33/hour full time.

lostinradiology in Lewisville, Texas

15 months ago

Yes I agree. Most of the urgent cares around DFW will pay $30/hour for both CT/RT Certification.

NM but now CT in Guyton, Georgia

14 months ago

Oh man. They seriously pay that much for a CT tech out in DFW??!?
I'm originally from the DFW area and I'm currently working/going to school to get some pre-reqs to apply to PA school.
I've been itching to go back home to DFW, but I've been afraid of the job market for rad techs.
I initially went into a BS program in Radiology with my modality being NM.
After finding out the very hard and sad way that NM is a dying field with little to no FT jobs I decided to not wait around and just go back to school as soon as possible.
I am currently taking 2 sciences classes and have finally moved out of my tech assist job to a Part time tech, but they have me working every weekend which sucks, but hopefully it's just for this semester.
I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the pay rate here in the Sav area, but then again we have a school that graduates techs so there is no need to be competitive when it comes to pay so the techs end up losing, and the smart ones leave to find higher paying jobs elsewhere (if they can find them).
I had one preceptor in NM that was looking for a job for about 6+ months in Florida and that was enough to scare me about the future of radiology and opened my eyes as to how hard getting a job in the field can be even with years of experience.

Point is: if you're a student look for a student tech position. It will suck but at least you'll be getting paid unlike clinicals. If you're NM- get CT certified and do PET. NM is boring; pays well, but jobs are not out there anymore. Specially FT, and if they are they are being held by older techs who won't leave for a while. And when they do I doubt those jobs will be FT and as high paying.

Talk to your preceptors. They will be honest with you and tell you the truth about the field.

A Person in Williams Lake, British Columbia

13 months ago

How demanding is it?
Is it hard?
Is it gross?
anything else...

Thank-you!

The truth:

1) You will learn lots, appreciate life more, have life changing moments, see super interesting things.

2) In Canada you get paid $28-32 starting wage an hour + benefits etc. When you get called in in BC you make like two hours wage automatically depending on your union.

3) You can kiss your normal life schedule goodbye as you work a ton of garbage shifts. You get to be on call all the time, you get burnt out, and it’s hard to see your family as your shift work is all over the place. Your coworkers will abuse the system and take off all their bad shifts when they can leaving you to basically be ‘forced’ to pick them up, especially if you work in a small department. I had to move far away from home because it is over-saturated in BC.

4) Once you get your foot in the door in a hospital you can only move up, but the shift work is for life. Depending on which political party is in power private clinics may get bought out by the government eliminating possibilities of normal Monday-Friday day jobs.

5) You use to be able to go into CT or MRI to try and score day shift only, but now it’s not the case. It’s only really fluoroscopy, mammography, and bone mineral density that have day time only shifts.

6) Students on here are going to be very optimistic, and don’t understand what the union rules are really like, so there are some reality checks they haven’t received yet. Students also don’t get called in from their house 3-8 times in the middle of the night from their warm bed to x-ray a drunk person who’s punched a wall, or someone who’s had a cough for 3 weeks but decided 3am is the best time to deal.

Feeling Helpless in Denver, Colorado

13 months ago

I was looking into becoming a Radiology Tech and I just spoke with my advisor and realized I won't be able to even APPLY until Fall of 2020 since I have some preqs to finish. It is SUCH a hard program to get into, I'm 29, and I am scared of wasting my time. 1, what if I don't get in? and 2, is it worth it? It seems like there are a lot of negative things about the field. I want OUT of the restaurant industry and I want a career that pays well with benefits that I will enjoy and succeed in. I also want to help people. Is this not for me?

Feeling Helpless in Denver, Colorado

13 months ago

Feeling Helpless in Denver, Colorado said: I was looking into becoming a Radiology Tech and I just spoke with my advisor and realized I won't be able to even APPLY until Fall of 2020 since I have some preqs to finish. It is SUCH a hard program to get into, I'm 29, and I am scared of wasting my time. 1, what if I don't get in? and 2, is it worth it? It seems like there are a lot of negative things about the field. I want OUT of the restaurant industry and I want a career that pays well with benefits that I will enjoy and succeed in. I also want to help people. Is this not for me?

(I meant to add that I can only apply in fall 2020 because I have some preqs to complete but the program only starts in the fall, so if I'm not 1 of 25 people accepted into the program, I have to wait till 2021.

Fast_Spin_Echo in Overland Park, Kansas

12 months ago

Feeling Helpless in Denver, Colorado said: I was looking into becoming a Radiology Tech and I just spoke with my advisor and realized I won't be able to even APPLY until Fall of 2020 since I have some preqs to finish. It is SUCH a hard program to get into, I'm 29, and I am scared of wasting my time. 1, what if I don't get in? and 2, is it worth it? It seems like there are a lot of negative things about the field. I want OUT of the restaurant industry and I want a career that pays well with benefits that I will enjoy and succeed in. I also want to help people. Is this not for me?

Our field isn't any different than any other vocation, there are some really crap RT jobs and some really great ones. Where you ultimately end up depends entirely on you. I know RT's making very little money and I know RT's making $100K +. My first thought is you should spend a day at a Hospital and see what RT's really do day-to-day. Most RT programs require you do this anyway and I would encourage you to do so if you already haven't. I will be very blunt and honest with you. I would look at going to RN School, it is a far more diverse field and you have many more options for advancement, again, it depends on you.

I had a fantastic, rewarding career as an RT but I also entered the field when it was at it's best. It's a very different scenario now. No one can possibly predict what health care in the US will look like in 5, 10, or 20 years. The best you can do is find a vocation in health care that has the most opportunity and possibility of growth and I would say (as an RT) if I had to do it over again, now, I would go into Nursing.

Burnt Out Tech in Pooler, Georgia

12 months ago

After reading this comment, I thought I was the only one who felt like this. I too work in an out patient center. My patients are scheduled 30 mins and sometimes I am double booked. No lunches as well and to top it off, I feel unsupported, not appreciated, not valued, and I am depressed. I have been in the radiology field for over 10 years. I barely make enough money to support my family. My hourly rate is 24.87 about 47k per year. After taxes and healthcare deductions, I take home barley 1200.00 every two weeks. It is good money if you are single, but if you have a family, inflation and the high cost of living (gas, grocery,and medical expenses). You struggle.
I am so bitter. If I would have known that my life would turn out like this, I would have chosen something else. I just completed my masters degree hoping to increase my pay. No! I work for an organization that will not increase your pay if you invest in yourself. The sad part is, I am really good at what I do. I have patients that only make their appointments if I am there. I have the highest patient satisfaction scores in my facility.
However, I have to leave. I have a family that I have to take care of. No facility is different...it is the same crap everywhere you go... the healthcare industry has changed. Hospitals are greedy and outpatient services make money. They will cram as many patients into a time slot without thinking about the patient or staff. They would rather have a patient wait over an hour for an exam and overwork the tech (who is getting crap pay) than scheduling it appropriately. It is all about numbers and the bottom line. They charge poor people outrageous prices and pay their co-workers nothing..give them crap insurance, no lunches, no appreciation. They like high turnover. My advice...go into NURSING. Don't become an RT.

Lostinradiology in Dallas, Texas

12 months ago

You should look into being a Radiation safety officer or teaching now that you have a masters.

Dan in Logan, West Virginia

11 months ago

You guys are crying alot, I make $13K a year. If i'm lucky I might get a couple hours OT here and there. I was looking into this or MLT programs here at the community college because I can barely afford to live. Ya'll making $18-$24 starting? I make $9hr after two years at the same place. So, someone be honest. I don't care about how hard it is. WV died with coal so there is nothing here bit Walmarts and hospitals, ARE THERE JOBS IN RT IF YOU TRY? IS THE ASSOCIATES ENOUGH TO GET SAID JOBS? CAN I LEARN OTHER THINGS LIKE CT/NM etc WITHOUT YEARS MORE COLLEGE?

Fast_Spin_Echo in Overland Park, Kansas

11 months ago

Dan, there are jobs in Radiology but you have to be willing to move to where the work is. An AA will get you into a program, Hospital based would be fairly low cost. It is very competitive in our field and health care is ever changing. No one can predict what will happen in 5, 10, or 20 years down the road. There may come a time (like in the 80's) when you couldn't find qualified RT's and then, the last 8+ years there has been an over supply. But, it's all regional. The bigger, larger metro areas offer the most opportunities. You can learn CT without a major investment in education. A slot of places will OJT you and then it's up to you to pass your certification. Nuc Med is another big investment in education that may not pay off. I rarely see an opening for Nuc's anymore. Your absolute best bet is RT (R) (CT). X-Ray and CT is the best combo I can think of.

I know a lady who worked in a cafeteria most of her adult life and went to RT School and she is fully employed. It is doable.

Best of luck to you.

Jmina24 in Bayonne, New Jersey

10 months ago

Jess in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: What I dont like about the job: crappy hours, staying late all of the time, no breaks, carrying this annoying pager, working weekends and holidays rude patients, rude doctors, rude nurses, most of my co workers, my manager

Radiology SUCKS

Well find another job where someone is going to treat you with respect. I work in a NYC hospital one of the busiest. Yes people will be nasty to you at times but you got to suck it up and show them who’s boss. Best career field ever. Radiology DOESN’T SUCK.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.