Top waiter/waitress skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every waiter/waitress must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your waiter/waitress expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine

128 months ago

Three skills or traits needed to be an excellent server:
~ Communication ( i.e. Customer service, conversation,
being able to bull-sh*t, and
have interest in things you
don’t really care about.)
~Pleasant personality and/or smile
And lastly,
~Organization/work ethic

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Fort Payne, Alabama

109 months ago

is there any more skills needed for a waitress?

Reply - Report abuse

carmen in Brasov, Romania

97 months ago

server in White Plains, New York said: Apparently, the majority of people posting here are not professional servers. Professional servers know it is to their advantage to tip the bussers. If your bussers are not working up to par, take one aside and let them know there is money in it for them if they work....direct them and train them, if necessary,....then, you let them know the less you have to ask them to do what is needed, the more money they will make. It is called incentive and works like a charm. Of course, you need to pay them out properly.
As for cantbelieveit.....having been a server for more years than I care to remember, there are an astonishing number of hacks out there that serve glasses with their fingers on the rim, plates with fingers in the food, with nail extensions, etc, etc,.....not to mention dirty fingernails. How many times do you wash your hands in a shift? I just saw a salad prep person walk out of a bathroom stall, bypassing the sink and return to her prep area-now if you do not think that is a potential case of hepatitis then you have not done your homework. This woman is a germaphobe and for good reason. If what she says does not apply to you than it should not bother you. And Alicia, chill out.

Chill out people, I've been working for 8 years on the cruise ships, I know everything about bars, everything about USPH, it is impossible to wash hands everytime you pick up a diry glass, or you touch a door, a table, you maybe shake hands , so it is dirty! I've seen on top of my food even the bandage of a hurted finger !!!
Believe me, they can even spit on your plate ...so, better be kind as a customer!! This is the way these days... Do not pretend you never heard about it!
About tipping, if you are happy, make others happy too. I think we get more if we give also! About service, there are quait a few good advices on this forum, plus we can all learn by getting experience, so good luck everybody! God bless!

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

You are very right, I just said "be kind as a customer" because I 've heard and I know how the waiters are reacting behind the bars/restaurants....About the guests, I always believed they are my bread and water, no matter if there are unhappy customers , too. Generraly speaking they are kind and many of them helped me to go trough my work day by day! I've been working on the cruise ships where the cruises could be for a few days, a week, 10 days, even 2 weeks. For me I alawys found customers which treated me like family during the time they were on board, even later , when they went home, we kept in touch and I have many examples like this! I used to dedicate myself to work and to my friends customers. Even I was in break, passing by a bar on the ship, on the way to my cabin or rectreation crew place or crew mess, if I see a guest which I know or they need help or they want a little chat, I never ignored them, many times I even lost my breaks for them, but I never regret it. I am a people lover, this is what you need for this job, they feel when you are real or when you are faked. So, I am very happy to make the others happy, even for a few minutes. I've met hundreds of thousaands people , each cruise a new croud, and yes, I was on stage every day, lots of hours daily, lots. I was on stage even for real a few times , chosen by guests as the employee of the cruise. So, they made me happy too. Vice a versa, it works both ways. So, we have to be more polite, more understanding, more loving, less egoist! You give, you get, believe me!
As by now, I am looking for a job in the same industry. I do have university degree, but no money at the time I gratuated (10 years ago) so, I left on the ships, where I could see the world (very hard thow, very tireing, you have to be strong, not everybody can do it), meet people from all over the world, experience of life etc. I am looking for a summer job, somehwere in Europe, Palma de Mallorca, Spanish islands or even USA...

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

There are many things I've learned by doing this job and how to do it!
One more thing, but not the last, greet the customers, when the come and when they leave, tell them you are waiting for them back, make them your regular customers !!!

Reply - Report abuse

blr1372 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

97 months ago

Cold Snake in Mississauga, Ontario said: I NEVER tip my bus boy. I feel this is a tradition that has gone too far. In fact, it motivates the bus staff that much more to become a waiter or bartender if they are not tipped. Instead I offer them advice and friendship.

That is the most retarded thing I have EVER heard. Im actually gonna print it and hang it up at the restaurant I work at, and then Im gonna pass it out to every server, bartender and busperson I know. Though a busser usuallys gets paid more by the hr than a server, they still earn tips and count on them just like you rely on your tips. They also help make your job alot easier, therefore you give better service and make better tips (if the BB is doing thier job like they should be.) If your a server and your making awesome tips at a restaurant that gets really busy.the BB is the one helping you earn such good tips. Have you ever worked a crazy busy nite without a busser? You were responsiable to carry all the dirty dishes back and the clean ones back out and then reset the empty tables while your section was full and you have one table whos drinks ar empty the other tables food is up and then you get a new table of 6 that need to be greeted and watered, meaning everyone gets a glass of water as soon as seated. Youd be stressed as hell and your service would suck so your tips would suck and youd hate your job. See!!! on a shift like that the busser coulda eliminated so many steps for you. A good busser earns a percentage of those kickass tip you make. What if you busted your ass on a table of 8 and they didnt tip you because they felt its your job to serve them and that it might motivate you to get a college degree and then go work at McDonalds. doesnt make sense huh? Noone needs By stiffin the busser your only hurting your money, they wont help you if you dont tip them.
Nothing is gonna "MOTIVATE" someone to "work towards" becoming a Server. Most people serve as a last resort

Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Berlin, Wisconsin

85 months ago

annoyed in Middletown, Connecticut said: I agree. The bus boys are getting paid minimum wage like all other minimum wage jobs. All the jobs I have ever worked at they are young kids that fool around and I end up cleaning my own tables anyways. Why should I give them my money? I don't think they deserve it and think it should be an option. Don't get me wrong if I feel they did a good job I will tip them out, but only then. Otherwise, I will keep my hard earned money to myself.

If by chance, you do get lucky enough to have one of them help you out, then if you make it clear to express your gratitude toward him/her by tipping, then I am sure you make attract more assistance. You will end up making more money in the long run because tables will turn faster. One thing to keep in mind: Some people become motivated through a positive structure, and by your going out of the way to let it be known that thier helping you out made a huge difference, they will work twice as hard to help you again. You can't always expect others to do what may seem the right thing to do...sometimes honey works better than vinegar:)

Reply - Report abuse

lesleybennett in Warwick, Rhode Island

62 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every waiter/waitress must have to excel?

1) Knowledge of Presentation
2)Compassionate to all guests rude or otherwise " WOW" Them in hotels we use this phrase
3)Respect all staff including the hostess or host. Without them you wouldn't be affording bills :)

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your waiter/waitress expertise?

1) Be Enthusiastic but not overly enthusiastic
2) Communicate ( Live It, Love It, Learn It,) is my motto
3)Be aware of your surroundings
4)Assist others as they would Assist you
5)Be Aggressive but not overly aggressive to other servers
6) Be honest...example: A new waiter/waitress comes in to get hired. You hear that person has been in the Hospitality Industry for over 25 years. You find out that person can't handle 4 tables at once. It makes you look bad.
7) If you have something to say to the host/hostess then say it don't talk in the kitchen behind their back not cool and purely unprofessional

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.