Job Scams

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

"Webster" in Dallas, Texas

96 months ago

Last week I sent in an application & the company REQUIRED my cell phone number. I kinda thought that was strange. I didn't want to give it because I use the cell primarily as a work number for clients - but I did. :-( A few days later I get a TEXT message to call them back about the job. They didn't say who they were or from what company they were calling from. At this point I was worried that I had given my info. to a fake company phishing for my info. Today I get a message on my cell phone to call a Drs office about my account! I never give that number to any dr & I don't owe any drs. Now i'm scared. What should I do? I think possible identity theft!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mike Jones in Halifax, Nova Scotia

3 months ago

They will email you randomly with what appears to be a business style email (headers and footer of company, signature, job description related to your field, Asking if you're interested in a remote position, what your desired salary is, etc)

"One of our client is looking for a Business Analyst. If you are interested, then do send me your updated resume with yearly salary expectation ASAP.
Just got an update that your resume is shortlisted and client wants to do a Skype interview this week. They are asking for your Two Scanned Photo ID proofs like (Passport copy or State ID) and Driver's License Copy for further interview proceedings. Also provide me two possible slots of your availability to take a Skype interview and Skype ID. Please do the same ASAP."

You let all this happen because you were being hopeful, turning a blind eye to you gut feeling that did question why this, why that because you rationalize it somehow.

Maybe they ask for you to make a payment for some reason, or request your SIN. I wasn't, so either they gave up before getting that far, or they didn't want it.

Steps to protect yourself/
1) Use the signature to see the company domain (company.com) and go to their website. Have a look and make sure it doesn't appear generic.
2) Go to the Contact Us page, find the phone number and call. Ask the receptionist to call Mr Recruiter.
3) If you call Mr Recruiter, does he sounds, talk, question like a recruiter?
4) Google the company name, company.com, company phone number. Do you see bad company reviews, Website appear legit, Does the phone number show up linked to spammers reviews or listed on multiple websites, does it ring the company when dialed?
5) Never give your SIN.
6) Report it

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.