What Does an Account Director Do?
Account Director Skills and Qualifications
A successful Account Director will have worked in the industry for a number of years. The right candidate may have a past as an experienced Account Director or be ready to take on the additional workload and responsibilities in a first-time promotion to the position from a junior account director or account representative role. There are several skills and qualifications an Account Director should have, including:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or English
- 5+ years working at an advertising, public relations or in-house agency
- Exceptional storytelling and writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and thrive under pressure
- A creative mindset and ability to think outside of the box
- Exceptional presentation skills
- Proven skills or experience in sales can be helpful
- Time-management, organization and leadership skills
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
Account Director Salary Expectations
The average salary for an Account Director is $109,517 per year. Additionally, all types of Account Director salaries vary depending on where the employee lives and how much experience they have and can increase as they gain skills and experience.
Account Director Education and Training Requirements
A college degree is needed for the position of an Account Director. Professionals train in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or English and are creative storytellers and well-spoken. Other areas of study may include business administration with courses in marketing and advertising.
Account Director Experience Requirements
An Account Director must have years of experience managing multiple teams and projects. Traditionally, 5 to 7 years of experience is required for applicants, although internships and programs may be counted as experience. Basic computer skills are necessary to perform this position. Previous experience in sales and client management is also a helpful skill for an Account Director.
Job Description Samples for Similar Positions
Other related and positions similar to an Account Director include: