What does a Computer Engineer do?
Computer Engineers typically work for corporations or computer companies to design and implement hardware and software to maximize productivity. They work closely with other Computer Engineers, Computer Programmers and Network Architects to create and maintain computer systems. Their job is to assist company Executives in creating customized computer systems and making adjustments to existing systems. They may also be responsible for designing security software to protect networks from potential hackers.
Computer Engineer skills and qualifications
Computer Engineers must use many technical abilities and soft skills in their roles, including:
- Expert knowledge of programming and computer engineering best practices
- In-depth understanding of relevant programming languages, including Python, Ruby, Java and C#
- Familiarity with basic coding, program and design, such as HTML/CSS and database development
- Understanding of integrated system management, content management systems and customer relationship management systems
- Excellent communication skills, including speaking, writing and active listening
- Great project management abilities, including time management, prioritization and organization
- Good collaboration and teamwork skills
Computer Engineer salary expectations
Computer Engineers make an average of $87,420 per year. Salary may depend on level of education, experience and geographical location.
Computer Engineer education and training requirements
Entry-level candidates likely have a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science or another relevant field. More experienced candidates may also have a master’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, network security or another specialized discipline. A master’s degree may be preferred for roles with specialized tasks or leadership responsibilities. All levels of candidates may also have previous training in programming languages and best practices and project management. Some may have professional certifications in specific programming fields or project management.
Computer Engineer experience requirements
Entry-level Computer Engineer candidates may have previous experience from internships or cooperative education programs completed during their studies. Other entry-level candidates may have 1 to 2 years of professional experience in a junior-level role or in technical support. Experienced Computer Engineer candidates with more than 5 years of experience may be suited for roles with more complex tasks or leadership responsibilities.
Job description samples for similar positions
If you’re writing a job description for a related position to the Computer Engineer, see our job descriptions for similar roles: