What does a Courtesy Clerk do?
Courtesy Clerks work in a grocery or retail store providing a great customer service experience and positive shopping environment to customers. They keep all areas of the store tidy by sweeping, mopping and scrubbing areas like bathrooms, grocery carts and store shelves. Courtesy Clerks are expected to have extensive knowledge about the store’s products to provide specific and helpful answers to customers. They may also act as cashiers and perform price checks on certain items.
Courtesy Clerk skills and qualifications
A job description for a courtesy clerk should require the following skills and qualifications:
- Excellent oral communication skills for listening to questions and responding appropriately.
- Stamina and strength to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Knowledge of store layout and product location on the sales floor.
- Basic math and literacy skills for such tasks as counting items and reading labels.
- Good customer service skills.
- Persuasive and warm personality for guiding customers in choosing products to purchase.
- Willingness to attend occasional staff meetings and on-the-job training.
- Prior customer service or sales experience.
Courtesy Clerk salary expectations
Salary expectations for a courtesy clerk can range from $7.25 to $19.35 per hour, with the average US Salary being $10.12 per hour. This information is based on 828 anonymously submitted salaries to Indeed from employees and users along with past and present courtesy clerk job postings on Indeed within the last 36 months.
Courtesy Clerk education and training requirements
Most employers provide on-the-job training for a courtesy clerk since duties can vary from store to store. While there is no formal experience or educational requirements for a courtesy clerk position, many employers prefer candidates with a high school diploma or equivalent or a minimum of one year of retail experience. Candidates should possess a strong work ethic and be willing to participate in continuing education opportunities.
Courtesy Clerk experience requirements
Most people hired for this job are high school students or people who’ve been out of work for years and are looking for a way to ease back into the workforce. This job can serve as a stepping stone to a higher position, whether as a checker or, further down the road, a store manager.
Job description samples for similar positions
If you’re looking for a similar job description, check out the options below: