What does a Marketing Manager do?
Marketing Managers typically work for corporations across industries to coordinate marketing campaigns and lead marketing staff. They work closely with members of the advertising or sales department to ensure that marketing campaigns align with product launches and consumer needs. Their job is to oversee the department’s marketing budget and refine campaign strategies for better results. They may also be responsible for planning and executing brand events or product launches as a part of marketing campaigns.
Marketing Manager skills and qualifications
A Marketing Manager should be skilled in a variety of advertising methods, including digital, print and social media. Some of their other necessary skills and qualifications include:
- Knowledge of marketing-related business practices, including advertising, market research, technology and budgeting
- Proficient with marketing-related software programs
- Demonstrated history of planning successful product launches and events
- Effective communication skills and adaptable communication style for interacting with team members, upper management and clients
- Time management and organization skills in order to plan and execute both large and small marketing projects and initiatives
- Leadership skills to motivate team members and manage conflicts
- Analytical and problem-solving skills for coming up with ideas to increase demand for products and services
Marketing Manager salary expectations
The average Marketing Manager salary is $69,639 per year in the United States. This salary may vary depending on a candidate’s level of education and years of experience as well as an employer’s geographical location.
Marketing Manager education and training requirements
A bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, advertising or another related field is usually required to become a Marketing Manager, though some employers prefer candidates who also have a graduate degree in marketing or an MBA for in-depth business understanding. There are no specialized training or licenses required for a Marketing Manager, though some organizations may look for applicants with relevant certifications, such as the Certified Marketing Management Professional or the Professional Certified Marketer credentials. On-the-job training in entry and other relevant mid-level positions is standard for Marketing Managers.
Marketing Manager experience requirements
A Marketing Manager should have a minimum of 10 years of experience in marketing and business. If they will be leading a team of Marketing Associates, employers may also look for candidates with a few years of leadership experience, such as those who have led or managed marketing campaigns in the past. Applicants may gain experience by working as Marketing Specialists for many years, though they may have started as Marketing Interns or Marketing Assistants.
Job description samples for similar positions
If this job description isn’t quite what you’re looking for, take a look at our other available job description templates: