What does a Physician do?
Physicians typically work for hospitals, private practices, healthcare clinics or rehabilitation facilities to assess the health and wellness of their patients. They work closely with Nurses and other Doctors to conduct examinations, update medical records and administer vaccinations to their patients. Their job is to treat and diagnose patients with various illnesses or medical conditions, including the common cold, broken limbs, food allergies, mental health diseases, autoimmune diseases and more. They may also be responsible for taking calls from patients after business hours to answer their questions about health concerns.
Physician skills and qualifications
A good Physician a person must have the following key skills:
- Physical stamina to work long hours under pressure
- Communication skills to interact clearly with both staff and patients
- Flexibility to work with a variety of people, differing in ages, personalities and backgrounds
- Collaboration and teamwork skills to work efficiently with others to provide new ideas and help inspire staff and management
- Time management skills to be able to see a high number of patients
- Interpersonal skills, compassion and empathy to build positive relationships with patients and colleagues
Physician salary expectations
A Physician makes an average salary of $202,292 per year. Pay rate may depend on level of experience, education and the geographical location.
Physician education and training requirements
Required education for a Physician is a degree in medicine in addition to a bachelor’s degree, a five-year residency training, a current state medical license and a Federal DEA license. Current Drug Enforcement Agency and Department of Public Safety registration is required to prescribe medication. A Physician will have completed a U.S. Medical Licensing Examination.
Physician experience requirements
Job experience for a Physician may vary, but a hospital or medical facility may prefer a Physician with at least three years of experience as a primary care doctor. Physicians gain years of experience as they complete medical school and residency, the required training program for all medical doctors.
Job description samples for similar positions
If a Physician job description isn’t quite what you’re looking for, try this related sample: