What Does a Social Media Intern Do?
Social Media Interns typically work as temporary employees for a company to gain work experience while completing college. They work closely with marketing professionals to learn from them and develop their skill set. Their job is to reach out to influencers, participate in meetings to develop social media strategies and help marketing specialists complete specific tasks. They may also be responsible for taking pictures for social media platforms and setting up business accounts on one or more platforms.
Social Media Intern Skills and Qualifications
A successful Social Media Intern candidate will have diverse educational qualifications and technical skills to deliver on the job. These include:
- Bachelor’s degree in digital communications or related field such as advertising or Journalism
- 2+ years’ experience in digital marketing/social media marketing
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills
- Excellent internet research skills
- Mastery of the major social media platforms including Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Snap and Google+
- Knowledge of social media analytics software including Facebook Insights, Google Analytics and Twitter Analytics to track audience engagement and campaign performance
- Experience with content management systems, word processor applications and image/video editing software
Social Media Intern Salary Expectations
Social Media Interns can expect to earn an average of $12.24 per hour. This estimate was derived from 1,308 Social Media Intern salaries submitted by industry professionals and job ads on Indeed in the last three years. The pay depends on multiple factors including location and experience.
Social Media Intern Education and Training Requirements
A great Social Media Intern will have excellent writing and oral communication skills. The ideal candidate can have a background in communications, journalism or digital media. A Social Media Intern will have a certificate or diploma in digital media, search engine optimization or a related field. He/she will also be proficient with word processing software and other media processing applications. However, it is not necessary for the intern to have a college degree in the social media space if they have equivalent working experience.
Social Media Experience Requirement
An ideal Social Media Intern will have an in-depth knowledge of social media platforms. The intern will be comfortable creating and managing multiple social media accounts, developing content to inform, educate and engage the brand’s audience to increase awareness and achieve marketing goals. An exceptional candidate will have a working knowledge of the major content management systems and social media analytics, and be experienced in running targeted ads on social media sites.
Job Description Samples for Similar Positions
If your company needs to fill other positions related to a social media intern, check out these job description samples:
Social Media Manager Job Description
Digital Marketing Manager Job Description