Academy Instructor (part-time)
Full job description
About Cincinnati Ballet:
Cincinnati Ballet is a place to flourish, be creative, and be supported. We are an inclusive community, where people of all backgrounds work, learn, and create collaboratively, informed always by our organization’s mission –- to enrich, expand, and excel in the art of dance through performance, a high- caliber academy, and impactful education and community engagement in local to global communities.
Since 1963, Cincinnati Ballet has been the cornerstone professional ballet company of the region, presenting a bold and adventurous array of classical, full-length ballets and contemporary works.
Cincinnati Ballet reaches beyond the stage in programs that allow every person in the region to be part of the continued evolution of dance. Both on and off the stage, Cincinnati Ballet is defined by the collective work of a community of highly skilled creative minds.
The Academy Instructor is responsible for delivery of high-quality dance instruction for the Otto M. Budig Academy’s student training programs. With a keen focus on fostering a love of dance, supporting the development of students as dance artists, and advancing their technical capacity, this position is integral to the Academy’s mission of providing world-class dance education to a diverse student body. The ideal candidate is well versed in dance education, teaching methodology, and classical ballet pedagogy, serves as a strong ambassador of the organization, and possesses a fun, caring, and energetic approach to teaching and student engagement. This position has the potential to support a wide array of ages depending on the candidate’s prior experience and artistic background.
The Academy Instructor is a public-facing position with a high degree of interactivity with students and families. The Academy Instructor also interacts with all members of the Academy and Education staff as well as select members of the Patron Experience and Production and Operations teams.
Exhibits a strong capacity to work collaboratively, positively, professionally, and inclusively with students, families, and fellow staff. Maintains a customer-forward mentality while working as a key member of a team that’s deeply invested in the growth of the organization. Demonstrates diplomacy and tact. Has a strong grasp of what constitutes appropriate and inclusive language when working with a wide array of students and communities.
The Academy Instructor must be highly dependable in fulfilling all assigned classes, meetings, and follow-up communication. Punctuality and preparedness are essential for fulfillment of role responsibilities. Instructor should arrive to all classes a minimum of 10 minutes early.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide high-quality, age-appropriate instruction in dance that meets the needs of and appropriately challenges every student based on the curriculum/syllabus provided by Cincinnati Ballet.
- Create an inspiring and compassionate environment for all participants, providing guidance and encouragement to all students equitably.
- Recognize that each student is different in the way they learn and adapt. Provide corrections when needed based on experience and understanding of students’ needs.
- Maintain a deep commitment to Cincinnati Ballet’s principles of Identity, Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IIDEA) through programming and relationships that prioritize inclusion and belonging, welcome and celebrate cultural differences and all socioeconomic backgrounds, and provide a safe space for expression for all participants.
- Choreograph and rehearse short works for student performances or showcases.
- Maintain proper discipline and engagement in the studio with creativity, patience, and grace. Enforce disciplinary action as necessary as determined by Cincinnati Ballet behavioral guidelines.
- Participate in the student evaluation process as needed based on the guidance of the Academy Director.
- Record and report on student attendance and relay any concerns to the Academy Director.
- Adhere to all Cincinnati Ballet program policies, employee guidelines and Academy Instructor expectations at all times.
- Exhibit appropriate behavior and language to ensure all spaces and classes are welcoming and inclusive to all students, participants, and family members.
- Maintain collaborative and clear communication with supervisor on all department matters. Provide regular and timely feedback on status of programs, student progress and disciplinary issues.
- Maintain a proactive and flexible approach to work including a willingness to participate in marketing and recruitment initiatives as well as Academy events and performances.
- Check emails regularly and respond to all communications in a timely manner.
- Attend all faculty meetings and instructor trainings. Attend and support select Academy + Education events and productions (advance notice provided).
Key Professional Experience/Job Requirements:
- In-depth knowledge of dance and pedagogical techniques. College degree in dance preferred or equivalent professional dance training/experience.
- Minimum of two years of advancing teaching experience in ballet.
- Experience in choreographing or staging work for student performances.
- Nurturing demeanor with the ability to exercise authority and discipline when necessary.
- A passion for serving students and families and a commitment to the values and culture of Cincinnati Ballet’s Academy + Education programs.
- Proven ability to work sensitively and effectively with people from a variety of different ethnic, socio-economic, educational, religious, sexual orientation, and generational backgrounds.
- Exceptional judgment and an unwavering commitment to ensuring the protection and safety of minors including appropriate staff-student relationships.
- Clear and compassionate communicator.
- Desire to learn and grow in teaching practice.
- Possess dependability and leadership skills..
- Candidate will be subject to criminal background check.
Expected Work Hours and Travel:
Must be able to work a highly flexible schedule which may include weekday and/or weekend hours. Most hours are scheduled in advance, but some flexibility is required. Hours may change seasonally. On occasion, travel to performance venues and community centers may be required.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
Candidates will be asked to teach a sample class.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Cincinnati Ballet believes our organization and our art is an inclusive space. We provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identification, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. We invite you to join us!
Dance is for everyone by everyone.
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility move us.
Cincinnati Ballet is committed to transform our company to be more reflective of the diversity in our communities onstage, backstage, and in our offices, studios, classrooms, and boardroom.
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility are foundational to the mission and values of Cincinnati Ballet. We welcome and celebrate cultural differences, all socioeconomic backgrounds, and embrace our responsibility to provide and prioritize access, inclusion, and belonging.
We are passionate about creating art that is innovative, reflective, and accessible. We will continue to create a professional and educational environment that is a safe place for expression for anyone who intersects with our organization. Through our inclusive environment, we empower everyone to share their unique stories, points of view, and ideas as we continually learn, improve, and develop.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $30.00 per hour
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Work Location: In person