Administrative Specialist for Social Services
The National Office of Social Services & Public Policy is the leading resource and unified voice of The Salvation Army USA territories in social service and public policy matters of common interest. The department works to establish The Salvation Army as a leading authority on holistic poverty alleviation by: 1) providing the field well-informed, efficient and effective advocacy, assistance and resources for social services and programs; 2) serving as a respected peer within professional networks; 3) engaging federal policymakers in The Salvation Army’s fight against poverty; 4) being a known and trusted resource to the federal government; and 5) increasing public awareness of The Salvation Army’s social impact worldwide.
The Administrative Specialist provides day-to-day mid-level administrative support and performs a variety of complex/technical and often confidential administrative and clerical duties supporting the various areas of the National Office of Social Services & Public Policy. This position also serves as a backup for main lobby front desk coverage as needed. As part of the Social Services & Public Policy team, the Administrative Specialist displays professionalism, proactivity, courtesy, resourcefulness and flexibility in support of the diverse functions, helping to ensure optimal operation of the department.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential responsibilities and requirements of this position. You may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description.
· Provides day-to-day administrative support according to the established standards and guidelines of the National Social Services & Public Policy Department for a wide variety of functions and complex and often confidential situations.
· Composes, types, prepares, proofreads, and/or edits a wide variety of paperwork including that of a confidential, complex, and/or technical nature with limited supervision and direction such as correspondence, proposals, agreements, agendas, schedules, reports, and minutes; ensures the accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of the same; performs a wide variety of clerical support work necessary for the smooth operation of the department.
· Types correspondence and/or reports in an accurate and timely manner; acknowledges routine correspondence not needed for dictation; ensures the accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of the same.
· Researches, compiles, interprets, and summarizes information for various reports, spreadsheets, graphs, surveys and special projects as requested by the National Social Services Secretary and/or the Assistant Director of Social Services.
· Identifies articles from across the country to help tell The Salvation Army’s story in the nation.
· Collects, reviews and maintains stories and articles of poverty and poverty alleviation efforts in the country.
· Synthesizes relevant facts from large amounts of complex data.
· Responds to internal and external requests for national information.
· Creates and maintains an up-to-date national electronic repository of Salvation Army programs and services.
· Maintains a national electronic repository of Salvation Army articles, stories, blogs etc.; researches, receives, reviews, proofs, verifies, compiles, logs, and categorizes materials, ensuring they are easily accessible to others; and composes documents as needed.
· Creates monthly department newsletter draft editions in Mailchimp for review and approval, sending monthly reminders, and collecting, reviewing and proofing draft submissions.
· Collects draft submissions and crafts draft of weekly national field memo.
· Provides backend Zoom hosting for monthly department national field webinars.
· Provides general assistance to the Social Services & Public Policy Department team.
· Performs various administrative and clerical support tasks for all internal and external taskforce, council, committee and commission meetings hosted by the department; performs internet research, collects information and coordinates arrangements for travel, transportation, lodging and meeting facilities, ensuring the timeliness of the same;
· Coordinates logistics, information and arrangements for department staff travel and conference/seminar/ workshop attendance.
· Tracks and processes departmental invoices in a timely manner in the Executive Secretary’s absence
· Manages Pathway of Hope calendars, coordinating updates as needed.
· Coordinates with the Executive Secretary to support the maintaining of an up-to-date department calendar.
· Answers calls and emails providing general information regarding department operations and services.
· Coordinates information and arrangements for all teleconference meetings hosted by the department (participant list, equipment and meeting facilities); ensures the timeliness of the same.
· Coordinates information and arrangements (participant list and meeting facilities) for interoffice meetings between other NHQ officers and/or departments; ensures the meeting rooms are properly set-up with needed equipment and equipment is functioning properly, ensuring the timeliness of the same.
· Updates and maintains records, databases, lists, etc., in an accurate, complete, and timely manner; inputs data into the various computer databases to maintain the same; conducts research to locate specific information found in documents, correspondence, lists, forms, etc. for completion of assigned tasks.
· Greets and assists associates and visitors from outside the department and building in a professional, courteous and practical manner as needed. Makes and answers telephone calls in a professional, courteous and tactful manner;schedules appointments; provides general information based on knowledge of departmental operations; ensures the accuracy, completeness and timeliness to all information provided; responds to questions; attempts to resolve complaints/concerns in calm, courteous, and tactful manner.
· Develops and maintains an efficient and organized filing system for timely retrieval; utilizes the bring-up system, purges files to obtain and update information. Files, photocopies and/or shreds a variety of items including correspondence, forms, reports, and documents.
· Assists the Executive Secretary as needed to ensure sectional mail is retrieved, sorted, and delivered to the appropriate staff. Assists with various bulk-mail activities.
· Services as an office supply account holder, assisting the Executive Secretary to place orders as needed.
· Serves as back up in Executive Secretary’s absence, in ensuring the department/section runs smoothly.
· Serves as backup for front desk coverage as needed per the Front Desk and Mail Room Coverage policy. As such, greets, assists, and provides direction and information to clients, visitors, and other organization guests.and assists callers by answering questions and directing calls appropriately.
· Performs special projects and other related work as required.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Computer Photocopy Machine Telephone Scanner
Calculator Facsimile Printer Shredder
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university, preferably in human services, business administration, computer science or social science related field AND
· Two years’ experience performing a wide variety of administrative and technical support work, OR
· Two years’ experience in the Social Services or Non-Profit sector, OR
· Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
May require valid state driver's license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
· Knowledge of effective and efficient record-keeping practices and procedures.
· Knowledge of database management
· Professional writing skills
· Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Knowledge and experiencing using Mailchimp and Zoom.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
· Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and accomplish work in compliance with quality standards and deadlines.
· Ability to answer the telephone in a courteous and tactful manner.
· Ability to maintain an efficient and organized filing system to ensure items can be located and retrieved in a timely manner.
· Ability to learn the broad scope of department operations and services.
· Knowledge of basic mathematics.
· Knowledge of basic research skills.
· Good organizational and follow through skills.
· Ability to determine the most effective and efficient method to accomplish work objectives and goals.
· Ability to effectively and efficiently work on and coordinate multiple projects at the same time without becoming frustrated or disorganized.
· Ability to maintain the confidential nature of the department.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
· Ability to meet attendance requirements.
· Strong attention to detail
· Ability to organize, coordinate and prioritize assignments
· Ability to read, write, and communicate the English language.
· Ability to perform routine mathematical computations.
· Ability to type and input information into a computer.
· Ability to operate various general office equipment
· Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and direct work in compliance with quality standards and deadlines.
· Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines.
· Ability to determine the most effective and efficient method to accomplish work objectives and goals.
· Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for extended periods of time.
· Ability to effectively and efficiently work on multiple projects at the same time without becoming frustrated or disorganized.
· Duties require sitting, standing and walking within the department and, occasionally, within the building.
· Limited amount of physical effort required associated with walking, standing, lifting and carrying light objects (less than 25 lbs.) 5-10% of work time.
Work is performed in a normal office environment where there are little or no physical discomforts associated with changes in weather or discomforts associated with noise, dust, dirt, and the like.
The Salvation Army reserves the right to reassign, revise the job or to require that different or additional tasks be performed based on the organization’s need or when circumstances change.
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Hearing insurance
- Free lunch
- Free parking
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday
- Admin / social services / non-profit: 2 years (Preferred)
Ability to Commute:
- Alexandria, VA 22314 (Required)
Work Location: In person