Bilingual Elementary School Teacher
Full job description
Do you seek to make a difference in the lives of others, particularly immigrants, refugees, and the under served?
Our holistic approach to human services improves lives now and for generations ahead. by removing barriers and providing comprehensive and culturally responsive services.
Trellus supports immigrant and refugees arriving from over 50 different countries and Chicago area residents and families , all are welcome here.
Mission: Our mission is to empower immigrants, refugees, and all underserved communities to thrive by removing barriers and providing supports that create opportunities for life.
Vision: To live in a world where all immigrants, refugees and underserved communities have equal access to opportunities and resources and face no barriers to full participation in life. We strive to build a community where diversity is celebrated, and all people are treated with dignity and respect.
Core Values: Core values are the fundamental beliefs and principles that guide our organizations behavior, decision-making and culture.
- Embrace Community
- Advance Opportunity
- Bolster Learning and Growth
- Honor Diversity
- Foster Collaboration
- Champion People
We are seeking a Teacher, preferably with an ESL endorsement, for our K-8 school.
Passages Charter School serves families and their students from kindergarten through eighth grade. We welcome all students living in Chicago and are one of the most diverse schools, representing over 40 languages. Passages offers a tailored educational program, focused on high academic standards and instruction based on students' individual needs.
Basic Job Function:
Under the supervision of the Principal, in conjunction with the Assistant Principal, and in collaboration with other Passages staff, a Teacher will provide culturally sensitive instruction to students.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Demonstrate preparation and skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds by utilizing a curricula that reflect the diversity of the students served.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Plan, prepare, and deliver instructional activities by integrating common core standards, content objectives, language objectives, and differentiation strategies into lesson plans.
- Collaborate with other teachers and staff to develop an aligned student curriculum.
- Develop and maintain a positive classroom environment conducive to learning and suitable to the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Observe, evaluate, and monitor student's performance to maintain an effective classroom management system with Positive Behavioral Interventions.
- Maintain updated grade books and provide timely and appropriate feedback on student class work, homework, tests and assignments.
- Perform other administrative duties as needed.
- Meet course and school-wide student performance goals.
- Contribute to planning and meeting deliverables as a School Committee Team Member.
- Participate in ongoing training sessions, read and stay abreast of current topics in education.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction.
- Collect and document data as needed for SPED evaluations, MTSS, or behavior plans.
- Communicate regularly with families regarding student progress and maintain family call log.
- Encourage parent and community involvement, obtaining information for parents when requested and promptly returning phone calls/emails.
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies and school regulations.
- Participate in evening commitments for family engagements and extracurricular activities as directed.
- Ensure students are supervised and safe all times including the supervision of transition in the building and students’ daily arrivals and dismissals.
- Follow all emergency procedures when needed.
- Report students to counseling services as needed and respond as mandated reporter when necessary.
Qualifications (knowledge, skills & abilities):
- B.A/B.S degree in teaching from an accredited institution or related field teaching.
- Illinois State certification in teaching in appropriate subject area.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- ESL endorsement Required
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Perform all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the total school program.
- Knowledge and implementation of relevant technology.
- Meet professional teacher education requirements of school, district, and state.
- Ability to regularly sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices, other office equipment, and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
- Bilingual Endorsement Preferred
Trellus is an equal employment opportunity employer dedicated to the fair and equal treatment of all of its employees without regard to age, gender, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, political or union affiliation, maternity status, parental status, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $52,958.00 - $62,373.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
All classrooms have HEPA air purifiers and are sanitized and disinfected daily. All high touched areas are sanitized throughout the day.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Chicago, IL: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Do you have an ESL endorsement?
- Are you bilingual? If so, what other languages are you proficient in?
- Are you able to provide proof of Covid19 vaccination?
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Teaching: 1 year (Required)
- IL Teaching Certification (Required)
Work Location: In person