Commissioner of Parks and Recreation
Full job description
***Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer***
~~Women and Minority Applicants are encouraged to Apply~~
The City of Syracuse is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Commissioner of Parks and Recreation. This position is responsible for the initiation, formulation, review, and direction of activities undertaken by the Department of Parks Recreation and Youth Bureau, and its budget that includes operations, maintenance, and capital improvement. The incumbent plans, assigns, and coordinates a variety of administrative and technical projects regarding the operation of City parks and recreation facilities. The work is completed at the executive level under the general supervision of the Mayor and his or her designee. The position requires interaction with state and local government employees, legislators, state Department of Environmental Conservation employees, parks directors and officials, engineers and engineering firms, architects and architectural firms, advertising firms, elected officials, coworkers, vendors, the media, contractors, unionized and non-unionized staff, attorneys, and the general public. The position exercises functional and direct supervision over department staff, projects, programs, and initiatives. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Manage and monitor a variety of operations to ensure the successful implementation of City and Department objectives.
- Directs and oversees staff, facilities, programs, and projects under the control of the department;
- Develops, approves, and monitors annual department operating budget;
- Oversees capital projects initiated or assigned to the department;
- Directs the development and implementation of capital projects within the department;
- Evaluates the effectiveness of public parks, facilities, and services.
- Coordinates, advises, and assists the Mayor in responsibilities pertinent to the goals and objectives of the department;
- Represents the department to the Common Council in the authorization of activities, projects, budget, and additional funding;
- Coordinates and consolidates responsibilities of the department with other departments to facilitate and increase the efficiency of results;
- Develops new initiatives within the department to ensure public demand for services is met;
- Serves on a variety of community committees, boards, and commissions;
- Represents department and works directly with numerous community and not‑for‑profit organizations;
- Performs public relations duties to maintain and enhance the image of the department.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Comprehensive knowledge of the purposes, principles, terminology, and practices employed in public recreation and parks management;
- Comprehensive knowledge of advanced professional techniques in public recreation and parks management;
- Knowledge and skills in municipal budgeting practices for both general and enterprise funds.
- Ability to analyze fee structures and implement revenue enhancing measures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislation and professional literature related to public recreation and parks management;
- Comprehensive knowledge of local and state law, procedures, and policies as they relate to the mission of the department;
- Comprehensive knowledge of administrative planning, management, and supervision as it applies to the position;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the operation and maintenance of equipment and technology used in the operation of public recreation and parks management;
- Thorough knowledge of a variety of public recreation activities,
- Thorough knowledge of the preparation and interpretation of statistical, technical, and narrative reports regarding department activities;
- Thorough knowledge of personnel laws and regulations;
- Thorough knowledge of resources available for use in the completion of department objectives;
- Thorough knowledge of large‑scale and government budgeting policies and procedures;
- Working knowledge of physical needs and operations of park spaces.
- Working knowledge of computer hardware, software, and systems used by the department;
- Ability to handle conflicting requests for service in a diplomatic manner.
- Ability to supervise, understand and manage a wide range of personnel.
- Ability to communicate, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in administration of employer/employee relations.
- Strong decision-making skills as well as innovative and creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to analyze recent problems, assess future challenges, and formulate complex action plans to facilitate appropriate resolution;
- Outstanding professional leadership ability;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Must be a resident of the City of Syracuse, or must be prepared to relocate to the City of Syracuse.
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Parks and Recreation Administration, Public Administration, or a related field with a master's degree preferred; at least three years of management experience in a public parks and recreation department agency; or any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience. Must have a valid New York driver’s license. Applicants who possess a valid out of state driver’s license must obtain the New York driver’s license within 30 days of employment
The Affirmative Action Policy of the City of Syracuse is to provide equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, creed, age (18 and over), marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, gender identity or gender expression, sexual or affectional preference or orientation, or any other classified group within the protected class. If you have a disability for which you wish special accommodation to be made, contact the Department of Personnel at City Hall, Rm 312 at 315-448-8780.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $84,000.00 - $94,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Are you a resident of the City of Syracuse?
Work Location: In person