Director of Marketing
Full job description
Marketing Director for Growing Digital Marketing Publication
What happens when a leading media publisher for digital marketing professionals meets its very first marketing director?
We need YOU to find out!
We're Search Engine Journal, one of the web's longest-running, most respected resources for a large community of digital marketing professionals. We've grown organically for many years (we wouldn't be talking about search engine marketing if we weren't good at it ourselves!). And we're ready to take things up a level.
We believe the best job matches happen when personalities, culture, and values are given just as much weight as skills and experience. We want you to be as excited about us as we are about you. Here's what people say about us:
We're flat, in a good way. Past employees keep in touch, and they've told us that it's a big plus that everyone from managers to founders are accessible and available to give ideas and feedback.
We're casual. We're a remote team, and we span lots of time zones. Forget blazers; no "Zoom shirt" required.
We're nimble. We stay on top of our field and our game; being flexible and responsive is core to our culture.
We work hard, but not "you'll need to be available at midnight" hard. Everyone has a right to balance.
We aren't a "set it and forget it" culture. We are always testing new ideas and looking for new strategic thinking.
We manage by goals. We tell you where we want to go, you tell us how you'd like to get us there, we collaborate on building the plan, and then you're free to execute without micromanagement.
We are all about trust and reliability. Our managers are not just recognized as among the most expert and credible in our field; we're also known for being a no b.s. company with a "hands-off" management style that works best with employees that relish taking initiative.
Are able to manage both up and down with both a refreshing mix of frankness and friendliness...
Are completely comfortable with shifting priorities in the day-to-day, while keeping everyone's eyes on the goal...
Are able to rein folks in when we get too blue-sky, and similarly realign your team when things go off the tracks...
Live for the opportunity to be entrepreneurial in an established, secure (but not "corporate") environment...
Are highly creative (sure, you can manage an agency, but you can also write some mean copy yourself when called upon)...
Are formidably tenacious...
Can work equally well with the front of the house and the back (audience-facing and backend technology)...
Think about the customer experience with a passion...
Are an empathic, high "EQ" colleague and manager...
This just might be the role for you.
As the marketing director for Search Engine Journal, you will have the opportunity to define the strategy for how we position and communicate to our readers about our content. You will be responsible for leading a small marketing team to define our positioning and messaging to readers, collaborate with editorial and sales to produce the most compelling content to help readers buy into our value proposition, and build the go-to-market strategy to drive key engagement metrics and email subscriptions. You will also collaborate with sales, editorial, development and design to shape your marketing plans. You'll get to work on a growing business and have a big impact every day.
Own the development of value propositions and go-to-market strategy
Drive a deep understanding of our customer segments by creating and evangelizing in-depth reader personas
Create compelling customer-specific content and programs (product one pagers, training materials, white papers, case studies, customer business review, events etc.)
Work with leadership to achieve business goals
Directly manage all marketing-related team members, including: email marketer, video producer, event manager, content marketer, copywriter
Collaborate with editorial and sales on building a rich content strategy (including blog posts, ebooks, reports, emails, social shares) that attracts a qualified audience that our advertisers will covet
Grow leads for our advertisers and SEJ by converting site traffic via calls to action, landing pages, and lead generation content
Organize, direct and implement marketing plans for all content initiatives
Test various marketing strategies, tactics, and platforms, to see where we may be missing out on opportunities
Identify, explore and produce strategy for new external marketing channels which will grow the site beyond our own internal marketing efforts.
Collaborate on creation and maintenance of brand strategy guide.
- BA/BS degree or professional equivalent
- 5+ years of professional digital marketing experience
- 1+ years experience at a digital publisher, working with teams who may have different priorities - including sales, research, creative, operations, tech, and editorial teams
- 2+ years experience managing marketing teams
- Balance high-level strategic thinking with hands-on tactical work
- Experience growing and managing email newsletter marketing
- Experience directing and measuring content strategy and social strategy
- Experience presenting metrics and progress to goal to leadership stakeholders
- Experience building, executing and scaling cross-functional marketing programs
- Experience using data and metrics to measure impact and determine improvements
- Experience with Google Analytics and integrating it into marketing strategy
- Experience running multi-channel campaigns.
- Excellent time management, planning and organizational skills
- Experience with A/B and multivariate testing.
- Experience working with data and market research to inform strategy
- Ability to back up ideas with data
- Skilled with Google Analytics, PowerPoint, HTML, Excel, Google Docs
Nice to haves
- Experience with online advertising and related technologies
- Experience working remotely with remote teams
- An understanding of and direct experience with SEO
As a full time employee, you will receive the following benefits:
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance (for US-based employees)
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, Sick/Personal Time
- 4 weeks' paid parental leave
- Work-life balance! Remote position and flexible work schedule
- Professional Development
- A merit-based, no politics culture that thrives on constructive feedback, rewards growth mindsets and encourages calculated risk taking.
About Search Engine Journal
Search Engine Journal has been covering the search industry and digital marketing world since 2003 with in-depth and actionable guides, tips, trends, and insights – plus breaking news and analysis from the Search Engine Journal team and hundreds of expert industry practitioners.
Owned by Alpha Brand Media, our remote-first, A-list team of editors, marketers, writers, design, and development professionals are located all over the world.
Based in the US, Alpha Brand Media is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Note: Please disregard the job salary listing of $0! This is a required field for Indeed. Our compensation packages are competitive and fair, and are very dependent on candidate experience and skill levels.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $0.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- digital marketing management: 5 years (Required)
- Fully Remote
This Job Is:
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings