Director of Street Outreach
Full job description
About the San Luis Valley
The San Luis Valley is located in beautiful south-central Colorado. It is the world’s largest alpine valley and comprises six counties: Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla, Mineral, Rio Grande, and Saguache. The Valley is culturally rich with 35 communities between the Sangre de Cristo and San Juan Mountain ranges. The area’s largest industry is agriculture, with large bountiful farms contributing to some of the freshest produce and most diverse harvests in the state.
About La Puente Home, Inc.
La Puente is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization serving Colorado's San Luis Valley by providing food, shelter, and advocacy for the homeless and community members in crisis. La Puente was founded in 1982 and endeavors to meet immediate needs and to empower people to live independently with dignity. The organization operates a homeless shelter, a soup kitchen, a network of 14 food pantries, homeless prevention and intervention services, a family supportive services program, after school and summer program for at-risk children, and a community garden and nutrition education program, among many others.
La Puente Director of Street Outreach
Director of Services
Engagement Specialist, Assistant Director of Street Outreach
Volunteer Coordination, and every program at varying times
La Puente’s Street Outreach Program addresses the needs of individuals in our community who are experiencing homelessness, or who are at risk of homelessness, with the goals of improving safety and building trust in order to connect individuals to the best resources for their situation. The Director of Street Outreach is responsible for: the oversight of the program, the administrative tasks associated with supervising a program and programmatic staff, maintaining a strong awareness of issues that people affected by homelessness face, and an understanding of community resources.
The Director will also educate members of the community on the issues of poverty and its symptoms, homelessness and hunger, to more deeply connect people with the overall mission and programs of La Puente. This position will provide case management to the members of Alamosa’s unsheltered community. This involves supplies management, community engagement, resource identification, data collection, and on the ground support for those most vulnerable in our community. The Director will maintain contact with community partners who support and offer resources to Street Outreach and to our clients. Part of this partnership may also include the management of St. Benedict’s Homeless Encampment and the Tiny Hut Program.
Duties and responsibilities
- Supervising staff of the Street Outreach department; and mentoring other incoming La Puente staff
- Training of new staff and continued development of training about street outreach related activities for the street outreach team
- Grant Management: work closely with the Development team to research, apply for, comply with and fully utilize all grant monies
- Part of a team of leaders that operate within La Puente and make decisions based upon the mission and success of the organization, clients, staff, and the community.
- Supplies management
- Being on-call for crisis situations in our community
- Case Management of individuals experiencing homelessness and those at-risk of experiencing homelessness
- Manage data related to the individuals served
- Continued evaluation of service provided to clients to determine benefits and outcomes
- Visiting formal and informal encampments
- Building relationship with clients
- Continued development of understanding of community resources
- Maintaining relationship with the wider community
- Collaborating with local partners to coordinate resources
The Director of Street Outreach will assist with all aspects of public relations concerning the Street Outreach program of La Puente. This position will also participate in tours and presentations as necessary. This position will be a liaison to local stakeholders, partners and potential collaborators.
The Director of Street Outreach will work with La Puente staff and the Community Education Director to support the participation and logistics of La Puente’s special events, as needed.
- Excellent oral and written communicator
- Interpersonal skills
- Proven Leadership Ability
- History of Public Speaking and Lesson Planning
- Strong Organizational Skills
- Project and Task Management
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in management
- Proven group facilitation
- Administrative skills including organization, meeting deadlines, and common paperwork
- Adaptive case management
- Ability to diffuse a difficult situation
- Crisis management for others and for one’s self
- Work in an office environment in Alamosa, CO.
- Spend time visiting clients in the field. Ex: under bridges, grocery stores, on the river trail, at St. Benedict’s Encampment, etc.
- Flexible schedule: Typically Mon-Fri 9-5, some weekend or evening work is necessary
- Will travel occasionally for training, donation pick-ups, or presentations. Must be willing to travel with frugality. Ex: staying at a host home instead of a hotel.
Director of Street Outreach. La Puente seeks a compassionate, motivated person to engage, establish trust and connect people experiencing homelessness to resources that will improve their well being. Responsibilities include program management (staff and volunteers), coordination with community partners, and public relations. Join our staff of dedicated professionals and learn the joys and satisfaction of helping others. Salary $43,000-$50,000.00 DOE. Full benefit package. Send resume: La Puente, P.O. Box 1235, Alamosa, CO 81101, 719 589-5909. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $43,000.00 - $50,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Weekends as needed
- Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: In person