General Assistance Caseworker- Bilingual
Full job description
Position Summary: General Assistance Caseworker
Department: General Assistance
Reports: General Assistance Director
Assist in the day-to-day operations of the General Assistance Department by administering comprehensive programs and services for Joliet Township low-income residents. Includes researching, planning, organizing, coordinating and directing required action on policies and/or projects directly related to General Assistance that have been defined by the Township Supervisor. Responds to and interacts with residents, employees and/or others within and outside the department in a courteous, professional, and effective manner. Performs other duties as required for the successful operation of the Joliet Township General Assistance Department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop work plans based on established goals and objectives
- Accurately assess the needs of the low-income population; implement programs and services that address these needs.
- Screen applicants to determine eligibility, administer the Township’s programs to clients and make referrals to other agencies for services.
- Develop community relations through social media and other outreach opportunities with community organizations.
- Participate in staff training and development opportunities related to the provision of general assistance.
- Actively participate in Township and Community events.
- Familiarizes self with all available area resources and develops a good working relationship with other groups/agencies in order to better coordinate services.
- Responsible for compiling up to date information on service programs within Township limits.
Other Job Functions:
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the General Assistance Director.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bilingual- Spanish Speaker
- Must have understanding of public benefit programs sponsored by Will County, the State of
Illinois and the Federal Government, including eligibility requirements.
- Ability to gather information from clients to identify and resolve problems by connecting with resources or programs.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Effectively navigate situations involving difficult clients while displaying empathy and compassion
- Possess strong organizational skills.
- Ability to adhere to the Township’s confidentiality policy.
- Capacity to identify and manage multiple projects, programs and services in an efficient and effective manner.
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities.
- Ability to read, research, and analyze professional, scientific, or technical manuals, procedures, plans, laws, licenses, and legal documents.
- Skill in effectively communicating with vendors, residents, elected officials and regulatory agencies.
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable vehicle.
Education, Experience, and Computer Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field preferred
- Must be comfortable with all Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience with Visual GA is a plus.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to reasonably assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. Essential features of this position are described under the headings above. A copy of this job description will be kept with the employee’s personnel files.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 - $46,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Joliet, IL 60432: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Spanish (Required)
Work Location: One location