Pre-K Teacher Assistant
Full job description
Do you seek to make a difference in the lives of immigrants, refugees, and the under served?
Mission: Our mission is to empower immigrants, refugees, and all underserved communities to thrive by removing barriers and providing supports that create opportunities for life.
Vision: To live in a world where all immigrants, refugees and underserved communities have equal access to opportunities and resources and face no barriers to full participation in life. We strive to build a community where diversity is celebrated, and all people are treated with dignity and respect.
Core Values: Core values are the fundamental beliefs and principles that guide our organizations behavior, decision-making and culture.
- Embrace Community
- Advance Opportunity
- Bolster Learning and Growth
- Honor Diversity
- Foster Collaboration
- Champion People
We are seeking a Pre-K Assistant Teacher:
Passages Charter School serves students from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. Focused specifically on the needs of immigrant and refugee students. Passages offers a tailored educational program focused on high academic standards and instruction based on students' individual needs.
The PreK Assistant provides support in the Passages Preschool classrooms, working with the other teaching staff to make sure that all of the children in our program are safe, well-cared for, and able to develop in a nurturing environment. The Assistant helps to make sure that meals and snacks are provided, helps to keep the classroom tidy during and after program hours, and takes part in ongoing professional development.
- Help to oversee children in the Passage classrooms
- Assist teacher in all activities relating to children’s care and educational activities, including planning for activities and implementing them
- Assistant will utilize the Creative Curriculum and have knowledge of Teaching Strategies GOLD
- Administers developmental screenings with caregivers within 45 days of enrollment and/or as needed; Assist in referrals to Early Intervention or Chicago Public Schools
- Provide nutrition support, to include meal/snack preparation
- Assist teacher in communicating with parents about issues relating to their children
- Assist teacher with ordering supplies, doing paperwork related to child care center, and preparing student progress conferences with caregivers
- Help to tidy center on a daily basis
- When classes are not in session, assist with administrative duties as needed for program
- Assist in center programming as needed
- Assistant will be expected to recruit potential families in the West Ridge/Rogers Park area. This may include passing out/posting fliers and attending WIC clinic nutrition classes or local events, possibly in the evening or weekends as needed.
- Attend professional development trainings and meetings as required by funding sources
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications (Skills, knowledge, & abilities):
- Current Preschool CDA Credential
- Associate Degree in ECE/CD
- Associate Degree in a non ECE/CD field with coursework equivalent to a major in ECE/CD (15 semester hours for an Associate Degree) and experience teaching preschool children
- Enrolled or will be enrolled within 3-6 months of hire in a Preschool CDA Credential program to be completed within two years of hire
- Bachelor Degree in ECE/CD
- Bachelor Degree in a non ECE/CD field with coursework equivalent to a major in ECE/CD (30 semester hours for a Bachelor Degree) and experience teaching preschool children
- Enrolled, with continued enrollment in, an ECE/CD program leading to an Associate or Bachelor Degree in ECE/CD
- Current IL Gateway to Opportunity Early Childhood Educator Credential Level 3 or higher
- Advanced certificate in ECE/CD from a college or university that meets or exceeds 120 clock hours of preschool specific coursework
Trellus is an equal employment opportunity employer dedicated to the fair and equal treatment of all of its employees without regard to age, gender, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, political or union affiliation, maternity status, parental status, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $37,375.00 - $50,599.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Charter school
- Are you bilingual?
- How many college credit hours do you have?
- Do you have at least 15 Early Childhood college credits?
- Do you have Gateways to Opportunity Early Childhood Education credentials?
- Do you have knowledge of COPA, Teaching Strategies Gold or HSELOF?
- Associate (Preferred)
- working with early childhood/preschool children: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person