Internship in Flagler County
Full job description
An amazing paid intern opportunity is available again to Rising Juniors, Seniors, recent high school graduates and participants of the Road to Success Program in Flagler County. This unique experience provides a rare glimpse at the inner workings of your local government Mosquito Control District.
· Identify mosquitos to species
· Analyze field collected surveillance records for accuracy and completeness
· Accurately enter information into a database
· Generate reports and maps; review for accuracy
· Perform sUAS team duties as needed to supplement operations
· Interact with and provide information to the public
· Track and follow up on service requests
· Advanced computer skills
· Rising Juniors, Seniors, recent high school graduates and participants of the Road to Success Program in Flagler County
· Must pass background check and drug/alcohol/nicotine screening
· Must work around pesticides and applicator personnel
· Must be able to work in high heat/humidity and inclement weather
· Must maintain a professional demeanor
· Handle and operate delicate scientific instruments
Applicants will be required to submit a cover letter, resume, and application to the District for consideration. Applicants will be scored based on the following criteria:
Application is high quality and demonstrates attention to detail in completion:
a. It is clear the student put substantial effort into completing the application
b. Application is free of spelling and grammatical errors
c. Applicant adhered to all application instructions
d. Questions were answered fully and addressed each item as requested
e. The application demonstrates research and forethought into desired internship experience.
Sample Position Description - The description may be modified based on student interests - Please clearly indicate your interest within the District in your Cover Letter.
This position reports to the __________and assists with Surveillance. Work includes assisting with the following: Mosquito Identification, Data Entry, Data Processing, Field Work, small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS) Operations, Service Requests and Outreach. Working around an environment that includes pesticides is a requirement (see CH. 450.061 F.S. and CH. 450.161 F.S.)
The candidate selection process will conclude on April 30th and all applicants will be informed of their acceptance status no later than May 1st. Applicants will have 2 weeks from receipt of acceptance to respond to the offer. Should an applicant decline an offer or fail to respond the District may offer the internship to another candidate.
Job Types: Part-time, Internship
Pay: $15.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Monday to Friday
- On call
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Palm Coast, FL 32164: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Are you a Flagler County High School Student in 10 - 12 grade or a recent graduate of Flagler County High School?
Work Location: In person