School Assistant (Part Time )
Full job description
Do you seek to make a difference in the lives of immigrants, refugees, and the under served?
At Trellus our holistic approach to human services improves lives now and for generations ahead. Today, Trellus serves everyone who seeks our help, regardless of race or ethnicity. While we continue to deepen our mission with immigrant and refugee communities, all are welcome here.
Trellus focuses on culturally comprehensive human services that help people become:
- Healthy – with Community Health programs and Behavioral Health counseling.
- Educated – through skilled learning programs and a charter school for grades Pre-K to 8 that specializes in preparing children to lead in a global world.
- Employed – using comprehensive job-related services that place hundreds of job-seekers into full-time and part-time employment every year.
We are seeking a School Assistant for our Elementary school.
Passages Charter School serves families and their students from kindergarten through eighth grade. We welcom all students living in Chicago and are one of the most diverse schools representing over 40 languages. Passages offers a tailored educational program focused on high academic standards and instruction based on students' individual needs.
A School Assistant ensures the lunchroom, playground, or other designated recess settings are safe for students and are maintained properly. All students receive lunch and recess daily and cannot have it taken aways as punishment.
- Supervise students during meal service, including when they are in lines and ensure that students meet cafeteria expectations.
- Circulate through the cafeteria to ensure supervision of all students within the area.
- Dismiss students from the lunchroom in an orderly fashion when lunch time ends.
- Monitor student behavior during recess periods to ensure safety and acceptable conduct.
- Assist students by securing trays and handling seating arrangements.
- Circulate through cafeterias during mealtimes and assist young students in opening their lunch packs and disposing of used packaging.
- Ensure that cafeteria furniture is in good repair, is safe to use and inform supervisor of any damages to school property.
- Make sure that cafeteria is a safe environment for students by handling maintenance and cleanliness needs properly. Assist cafeteria staff in cleaning spills.
- Report any unacceptable behavior to the Lunch and Recess Coordinator.
- Respond to emergency situations such as injuries or food allergies in a proactive manner.
- Establish and implement standards of behavioral acceptance and ensure that each student follows it.
- Encourage a harmonious atmosphere by encouraging peaceful resolutions to conflicts.
- Direct the movement of student to and from playgrounds, lunchrooms, and activities areas.
- Assess playgrounds for security and report any concerns to the Lunch and Recess Coordinator.
- Respond to emergency situations such as playground injuries by performing first aid and ensure that any associated paperwork is completed on time.
- Assist in formulating and implementing activities and games, appropriate for each individual student group.
- Correct or redirect inappropriate playground or lunchroom behavior and communicate any serious concerns to the Lunch and Recess Coordinator.
- Follow all policies and procedures prescribed by Passages administration and Trellus.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Support the Mission Statement of Trellus.
- Always behave and speak in a professional manner.
- Set a good example in terms of punctuality and attendance.
- Attend staff and team meetings.
- Be proactive in matters relating to health and safety.
Qualifications (Skills, knowledge, & abilities):
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate calmly with students to resolve behavioral issues.
- Experience as a parent volunteer in a school environment preferred
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended hours.
- Must be bilingual
Trellus. is an equal employment opportunity employer dedicated to the fair and equal treatment of all of its employees without regard to age, gender, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, political or union affiliation, maternity status, parental status, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $15.75 - $18.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
All rooms are sanitized daily and high touch areas are sanitized frequently throughout the day.
- Are you bilingual?
- Are you able to lift 50lbs?
- Are you able to sit, or stand, for extended hours?
- Are you able to provide proof you have received Covid 19 vaccination?
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- working with Elementary School Age population: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: In person