Tribal Cultural Monitor
Full job description
The Tribal Cultural Monitor serves a crucial function in the protection and preservation of Yocha Dehe cultural and historic resources. The Tribal Cultural Monitor works to avoid destructive ground disturbances by locating and identifying cultural resources, and making in the field recommendations on mitigation measures. The Tribal Cultural Monitor also oversees ground disturbing activities to prevent desecration of cultural resources during construction within the Patwin historic aboriginal territory. Independent work and judgment must be exercised in order to carry out the overall responsibilities. Additionally, the Tribal Cultural Monitor works with the Cultural Resource Department; Tribal Cultural Renewal Committee; Federal, State and Local Agencies and developers to protect and provide culturally appropriate insight to cultural sites, mitigation measures, treatment and disposition of artifacts or any other items of cultural interest to the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation. It is important that the Tribal Cultural Monitor arrive on time and be prepared to work. The Tribal Cultural Monitor represents Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation, and must adhere to the highest standard of professional conduct at all times.
We are located in Brooks, CA. Near Cache Creek Casino.
This is the entry level classification in the Tribal Cultural Monitor series and does not require previous specialized experience. Incumbents will be provided appropriate training in the functions of their area of assignment to enable them to gather, analyze and monitor routine data and formulate recommendations based on established criteria.
This classification is distinguished from the class of Tribal Cultural Monitor II in that the technical work assignments of the latter are performed more independently and incorporate previously learned practices and principles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Depending on the areas of skill and assignment, employee may perform any of the following duties:
- Ensure the protection of cultural resources during pre-construction/development within the Patwin Linguistic boundary.
- Ensure Native American remains and associated grave items are treated with appropriate dignity, according to Patwin traditions.
- Act as liaison between archaeologist consultants and the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation.
- Attend consultation meetings between governmental entities and Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation representatives regarding site protection mitigation.
- Assist in evaluating Environmental Impact Reports/Studies for proposed development projects.
- Conduct cultural surveys within the boundaries of Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation tribal properties.
- Prepare Yocha Dehe Site record Forms.
- Assist in maintenance of historic and cultural properties inventory on Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation tribal lands.
- Assist in the education of staff and contractors working on tribal properties with an awareness of cultural resources and observance of undiscovered cultural resources.
- Keep detailed notes and record information in appropriate format for Yocha Dehe Wintun site protection records.
- Produce daily and weekly reports of monitoring activities.
- Travel to construction/project sites as needed.
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability to communicate clearly with Cultural Resources Department, Cultural Renewal Committee, Tribal Government, federal, state or local governmental agencies and archaeological consultants.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing fast-paced environment.
- Ability to recognize and protect sensitive information.
- Perform duties with high integrity and responsibility.
- Supports Yocha Dehe’s Core Values
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma, GED or CHSEC required; some work experience preferred but not required. Exposure to Native American culture and/or spirituality preferred.
Must have excellent communication skills in verbal and in written form. Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality concerning Tribal matters by using tact, diplomacy, and an understanding of the organizational culture, climate, and/or politics. Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone using professional and courteous etiquette with sensitivity to the diversity of a multi-cultural audience and with cultural sensitivity.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications with the ability to use email, spreadsheets, database management software including internet software, and spreadsheet software.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Required to pass the Yocha Dehe Tribal Gaming Agency (YDTGA) Background Check and possess a valid driver’s license, and maintain a driving record that is satisfactory to the Tribe’s insurance carrier.
This position requires the physical agility to access cultural sites in diverse terrain. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel work related items. Requires the ability to perform heavy manual labor, occasionally in extreme weather conditions. Position requires the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (i.e., lift, carry, and move) light to medium weights of 10-50 pounds on a regular basis and over 50 pounds on an occasional basis. Requires the ability to stoop, kneel and crouch on a continuous basis. Must have sufficient hand-eye coordination, hand and finger dexterity, including the ability to grasp items as needed. Visual acuity to operate equipment and read technical and safety information is a must. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or maybe crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. Hours worked may vary depending on special projects or as needed by the Department, to include some evening, weekend and occasional holidays.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Must recognize and maintain confidentiality and ensure security of sensitive Tribal Council matters and actions. Must be able to work with diverse population and with cultural sensitivity. Must be willing to sign the Tribe’s Non-Disclosure, Non-Disparagement and Confidentiality Agreement.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $19.71 per hour
Expected hours: No less than 40 per week
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 2 years
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- This position requires an extensive background check. Are you able to comply?
- We are located in Brooks, CA. Near Cache Creek Casino. Are you able to commute?
- This position requires you to be in office or on job sites. Are you able to commute to job sites?
- Construction: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: In person