Last updated: September 5, 2018
- APD We Collect
2.1 APD Provided Directly By You
During the application, recruitment and onboarding process at Indeed, we may collect, store and process the following types of APD directly from you:
- identification and contact details, such as your name, address, telephone/email address, ID/passport, bank account details, social security numbers;
- job application information, such as academic and professional qualifications, CV/résumé, transcripts and employment references, cover letters, information from interviews, compensation/benefits requests, relocation information, and any other information you provide to us in support of and during the recruitment process; and
- information about your work eligibility, such as immigration status, work authorizations, and visas.
In limited situations we may request, on a voluntary disclosure basis, limited and targeted provision of sensitive APD such as racial/ethnic origin, military status, disability status, and gender for the purposes of government reporting obligations and/or ongoing equal opportunities and diversity monitoring, where permitted by law. Additionally, you may provide personal information so that Indeed can arrange for any necessary accommodation access during the recruitment process. Applicants may also provide Indeed with sensitive APD, even where this is not solicited by Indeed. In all cases, Indeed will handle such sensitive APD in accordance with applicable laws.
2.2 APD Provided by Third Parties
Indeed may also collect information about you from third parties or public sources as needed to support our recruitment process. For example, before your employment or appointment with Indeed, we may collect information from appropriate social media sources for recruitment purposes. We also may conduct background screenings through a third-party service provider and collect information about your past education, employment, credit and/or criminal history (where permissible and in accordance with applicable law). Alternatively, third parties may refer or recommend you to our recruiters.
2.3 The Legal Basis on Which Indeed Collects and Processes Your APD
Indeed collects and processes your APD on the basis of different legal grounds, depending on the nature of the APD being provided and the type of processing involved.
– Performance of a Contract
Most of the APD processed by Indeed is performed on the basis that it is necessary for the performance of an employment contract or contract for services with you, or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering such a contract.
– Legitimate Interest
A second ground relied upon by Indeed for other types of processing of your APD is that it is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests pursued by Indeed, for example for the purposes of approaching you in relation to other roles at Indeed for which we believe you may be suitable.
– Compliance with a Legal Obligation
A third ground relied upon for certain types of processing is that it is necessary in order to allow Indeed comply with a legal obligation.
Finally, in certain limited situations, Indeed relies on your consent in order to process your APD. Where Indeed requires your consent in order to collect and process certain APD, we seek your consent at the time of provision, and such processing will only be performed where consent is secured. You can withdraw your consent by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Purposes of Processing and Uses of Your APD
We collect, process, store, maintain and transfer APD as we determine reasonably necessary in order to perform Indeed’s hiring process. APD is used in the hiring process for purposes such as:
- determining the applicant’s qualifications, skills and background for a particular position;
- determining the applicant’s right to work;
- conducting background checks and similar inquiries in compliance with applicable laws, and otherwise to comply with all applicable laws;
- communicating with an applicant during the recruitment process;
- carrying out functions in relation to an applicant’s future employment; and
- managing and improving Indeed’s recruitment process.
We may provide elements of APD to third party agents and contractors engaged to assist us in performing these specific functions. Indeed will indicate to you at the point of provision as to whether or not particular APD provided by you is required.
- Disclosures and Transfers of Your APD
Such disclosures of APD in the course of the recruitment process will usually involve the transfer of APD to countries outside of where the information was originally collected. All such transfers are performed in full compliance with applicable data protection rules and subject to appropriate safeguards, primarily through the use of extensive data protection agreements.
4.1 Transfers of Your APD Between Indeed Affiliated Entities
4.2 Transfers of Your APD to Certain Third Party Service Providers
In the course of our recruitment activities, Indeed may make certain APD available to third parties who provide services to us to support those activities. Indeed will only do so where such a transfer is necessary, and in accordance with applicable data protection rules.
4.3 Transfers of Your APD to Other Third Parties
In addition to section 4.2, Indeed may also disclose your APD to other third parties in certain limited circumstances, including:
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to establish, exercise or defend against potential, threatened or actual litigation;
- where necessary to protect Indeed, your vital interests, or those of another person; or
- in connection with the sale, assignment or other transfer of all or part of our business.
- Retention of Your APD
You agree that Indeed and its affiliates may retain the information you provide in your application in order to permit Indeed to contact you in the future with respect to other positions for which you may be suitable. If you become an employee of Indeed, this information will become part of your employment record. Where you do not wish Indeed to retain your resume and cover letter (as applicable) for these purposes on our applicant database you might please inform the contact person for your initial application.
- Exercising Your Rights
You have a number of rights available to you with respect to your APD held by Indeed. These include:
- the right to rectify your APD;
- the right to object to or restrict the processing of your APD;
- the right of access to and portability of your APD; and
- the right to delete your APD.
If you wish to avail of these rights please email email@example.com. Please do so from the email address that you have been in contact with Indeed from, so we can verify your identity.
Information submitted by an applicant may also be updated and corrected at any time through the same manner in which the information was provided to Indeed.
7. General Inquiries and Complaints
7.1 Contacting Indeed
You may contact Indeed by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to contact Indeed’s Data Protection Officer, please send an email to email@example.com.
If you believe your data protection rights have been infringed by Indeed, you have the right to complain to the appropriate data protection supervisory authority in your jurisdiction. For example if you are in the EU, Indeed’s main establishment in the EU is Indeed Ireland Operations Limited in Ireland, and it is regulated by the Irish Data Protection Commission, in which case you should consult this link for these purposes.