What Does a Youth Pastor Do?
Youth Pastors typically work for church congregations across a wide range of Christian denominations. They can also work for faith-based non-profit organizations. They work closely with Pastors, Priests or administrative staff to help the youth in their congregation develop their faith. Their job is to review biblical passages and other materials from church leaders to create lesson plans or topics for group discussions. They may also be responsible for coordinating with local charities to schedule volunteer events for youths.
Youth Pastor Skills and Qualifications
A successful Youth Pastor will have certain skills and qualifications. Including this category in your job description will help you acquire a high-quality Youth Pastor. Here are some skills and qualifications to look out for in an individual:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills accompanied by a positive attitude with young students in the church
- Great computer and creativity skills in designing new and entertaining ways for students to learn about life in Christ and faith values
- Ability to deal with and relate to young people by earning their respect and trust
- Excellent organization and supervision skills
- Strong management and leadership skills in educating and preaching religious messages
- Evident relationship and belief in God and the church
- Availability to work extended hours and during weekends
- Proficiency in evangelical studies and youth ministry
Youth Pastor Salary Expectations
Salaries for Youth Pastors vary depending on location and experience. The national average salary for a Youth Pastor is $34,684 per year. Before coming up with fair compensation for this position, be sure to compare salaries from other organizations and churches in your location.
Youth Pastor Education and Training Requirements
It is essential that a Youth Pastor should have various education and training requirements. These qualifications indicate that an individual has the basic academic knowledge for the job. A Youth Pastor should at least have a high school diploma. They may have some college education, preferably Bible college or a bachelor’s degree in theology. Youth Pastors should also have a proficient understanding of the challenges and needs of teenagers and adolescents.
Youth Pastor Experience Requirements
An effective Youth Pastor should demonstrate experience in the profession. Asking for experience will help you ascertain their capability to perform in the job. A Youth Pastor should have experience working with young people. They should also have previous experience as a Youth Pastor or leader in the field of religious education. Youth Pastors should have experience working under a Pastor or youth ministry. It is also important that a Youth Pastor has experience in youth counseling, mentoring and development.
Job Description Sample for Similar Positions
In case this position is not quite what you were looking for, we have similar job categories that might fit your requirements. These jobs include: