How to write a Home Health Aide job description
Your job description is the first touchpoint between your company and your new hire. With millions of people searching for jobs on Indeed each month, a great job description can help you attract the most qualified candidates to your open position. To get you started, here are some tips for creating an effective job description.
Home Health Aide job title
A great job title typically includes a general term, level of experience and any special requirements. The general term will optimize your job title to show up in a general search for jobs of the same nature. The level of experience will help you attract the most qualified applicants by outlining the amount of responsibility and prior knowledge required. And if your position is specialized, consider including the specialization in the job title as well. But avoid using internal titles, abbreviations or acronyms to make sure people understand what your job posting is before clicking.
Examples of Home Health Aide job titles
Home Health Aide job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so job seekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Home Health Aide job summary
Our healthcare company requires a caring and compassionate Home Health Aide to work with a variety of patients in the local area. The Home Health Aide will be responsible for accompanying patients to local doctor’s appointments, assisting patients with personal care and health monitoring and helping to maintain a clean home environment for each patient. The successful candidate will also be required to maintain accurate and updated records on each of their patients.
Home Health Aide responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the job reports to.
Examples of Home Health Aide responsibilities
- Maintain home care records that include any changes in doctor’s orders, diet or personal living activities
- Assist patients in performing physical therapy exercises and with administering medication based on doctor’s orders
- Help with patient meals and feeding, as well as basic housekeeping functions
- Work with transportation professionals to make sure that patients who require additional assistance getting in and out of vehicles are able to safely use transportation
- Deliver weekly reports to the case manager and review any important changes in the patient’s condition
Home Health Aide qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful hire. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
Examples of Home Health Aide skills
- 3+ years’ experience in the home healthcare field
- Current and valid HHA or CNA certification
- Nursing experience preferred
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Exceptional patient service skills
- Must be able to work a schedule that includes occasional weekends, holidays and evenings