How to write a Manufacturing Engineer job description
Your job description is the first touchpoint between your company and your new hire. With millions of people searching for jobs on Indeed each month, a great job description can help you attract the most qualified candidates to your open position. To get you started, here are some tips for creating an effective job description.
Manufacturing Engineer job title
A great job title typically includes a general term, level of experience and any special requirements. The general term will optimize your job title to show up in a general search for jobs of the same nature. The level of experience will help you attract the most qualified applicants by outlining the amount of responsibility and prior knowledge required. And if your position is specialized, consider including the specialization in the job title as well. But avoid using internal titles, abbreviations or acronyms to make sure people understand what your job posting is before clicking.
Examples of Manufacturing Engineer job titles
Manufacturing Engineer job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so job seekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Manufacturing Engineer job summary
Our toy manufacturing company needs an experienced Manufacturing Engineer to join our team. We’re looking for a precision-oriented professional with highly developed leadership qualities and the ability to work efficiently and within budget. The successful candidate’s primary function and role will deal with the conception, design and development of new toy products. He or she will serve as liaison between the creative professionals on each project and the engineering department. We’re looking for someone who enjoys contributing to an innovative, forward-thinking team and who can always keep the end user in mind. We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Manufacturing Engineer responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the job reports to.
Examples of Manufacturing Engineer responsibilities
- Evaluate existing manufacturing processes and workflows to identify areas that could benefit from changes and improvements
- Apply working knowledge of product design and assembly to the manufacturing process
- Create processes and procedures to help the company meet budgetary goals as well as performance quotas
- Design and develop new products and product mock-ups alongside the creative team
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and cross-departmental meetings to ensure collaborating and cohesion
- Establish an effective and efficient work sequence
- Devise new solutions to existing manufacturing problems
- Develop standardized design criteria across all product lines
Manufacturing Engineer qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful hire. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
Examples of Manufacturing Engineer skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering required
- 7+ years’ design and quality control experience in product manufacturing
- Strong organizational, analytical and communication skills
- History of progressive responsibility a plus
- Proficient with Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office programs
- Experience with CAD programs a plus