What does a Sales Associate do?
Sales Associates typically work for retail stores across a range of specialties, including clothing and accessories, technology, beauty, home decor or media and entertainment. They work closely with other Sales Associates to ensure that customers have a positive experience with their business. Their job is to assist customers in finding gifts and other items within their price range while also maintaining the sales goals of their employer. They may also be responsible for purchasing or wearing items sold in their store to be able to describe them to customers in an effective manner.
Sales Associate skills and qualifications
A successful Sales Associate candidate should have various prerequisite skills and qualifications needed for their duties in the store. They have to be strong in their customer service, sales and knowledge of the store’s products and services. Depending on the business, the ideal applicant may need a college degree, but most Sales Associate positions only require a high school diploma. Some common Sales Associate qualifications include the following:
- High school diploma or GED
- In-depth knowledge of beauty and skin products
- Excellent sales and communication skills
- Working knowledge of POS payment systems
- Valid Class-A driver’s license
Sales Associate Salary Expectations
A Sales Associate makes an average of $11.30 per hour. Pay rate may depend on level of experience, education and the geographical location.
Sales Associate education and training requirements
Most Sales Associates need a GED certificate or high school diploma to get hired, but some positions may require a college degree. Candidates with work experience are ideal, but expect to provide extensive on-the-job training. This will allow them to have an in-depth understanding of your products or services, company policies and operational procedures. If the role requires special handling, be sure to provide proper training or list it as a requirement in the job description.
Sales Associates require no certifications or licenses except in a few specialized roles. A great candidate will be an excellent communicator and have exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills. They will also have outstanding sales knowledge, manage their time well and deal with customers professionally.
Sales Associate experience requirements
An experienced Sales Associate should be comfortable interacting with customers and spending long periods walking around the store to answer questions about products or services. They will also understand how to operate point of sale systems and have a working knowledge of bookkeeping to balance registers after their shift. A good candidate is knowledgeable about inventory management and has enough experience to promote your business with confidence.
Sales Associate Job Description Template
We are looking for a result-driven retail Sales Associate to be responsible for all sales job duties, from generating leads to closing sales. Sales Associate duties and responsibilities include working closely with customers to determine their needs, answer their questions about our products and recommend the right solutions. You should be able to promptly resolve customer complaints and ensure maximum client satisfaction. To be successful as a Sales associate, you should stay up-to-date with product features and maintain our store’s visual appearance in high standards. Ultimately, the duties of a sales associate are to achieve excellent customer service, while consistently meeting the store’s sales goals.
- Ensure high levels of customer satisfaction through excellent sales service
- Assess customer’s needs and provide assistance and information on product features
- Welcome customers to the store and answer their queries
- Follow and achieve department’s sales goals on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis
- “Go the extra mile” to drive sales
- Maintain in-stock and presentable condition assigned areas
- Actively seek out customers in store
- Remain knowledgeable on products offered and discuss available options
- Process POS (point of sale) purchases
- Cross-sell products
- Handle returns of merchandise
- Team up with co-workers to ensure proper customer service
- Build productive trust relationships with customers
- Comply with inventory control procedures
- Suggest ways to improve sales (e.g. planning marketing activities, changing the store’s design)
- Proven work experience as a Retail Sales associate, Sales representative or similar role
- Basic understanding of sales principles and customer service practices
- Proficiency in English
- Basic Math skills
- Working knowledge of customer and market dynamics and requirements
- Track record of over-achieving sales quota
- Hands-on experience with POS transactions
- Familiarity with inventory procedures
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- A friendly and energetic personality with customer service focus
- Ability to perform under pressure and address complaints in a timely manner
- Availability to work flexible shifts
- High school degree; BS degree in Marketing or related field would be a plus
Job description samples for similar positions
If you’re looking for candidates for similar roles to the Sales Associate, see our job description templates for related positions: