What does a Social Media Manager do?
Social Media Manager can work for digital marketing agencies or as part of an in-house marketing team to cultivate a social media following and promote the company’s brand. They use posts, comments and replies to engage with their audience and develop a relatable company voice. Social Media Managers can delegate content creation tasks to other employees and study which aspects of their campaigns result in the highest engagement and conversions. They also monitor online posts that mention the company so they can mediate the impact of negative reviews and share positive testimonials with their current following to strengthen customer relationships.
Social Media Manager skills and qualifications
The ideal applicant for this position has suitable skills, including:
- Social media: The ability to use social media to maintain or build a brand is necessary to be a Social Media Manager. These professionals are expected to regularly post text, video and images that engage the company’s target market, follow online conversations on a company’s social media accounts and solve customer concerns using social media platforms.
- Communication: Great verbal and written communication skills are essential for this occupation. A Social Media Manager must interact with writers, designers, developers and customers and report to senior management personnel. As good communicators, these professionals must identify social media events such as an interesting hashtag or a sensitive topic and share appropriate content that aligns with the company’s social media strategy.
- Creativity: Crafting engaging content is an important skill for a Social Media Manager. These professionals must constantly align content with customer trends and market changes to interest and engage people.
- Technology: Computer skills, skills in using social media platforms and skills in using tools that analyze social media platforms are requirements for this position. A Social Media Manager must use digital technologies to meet the goals of social media campaigns.
- Research: Skills in learning social media trends, identifying new social media tools and finding real-time online conversations are necessary for this position. Social Media Managers must have an understanding of the trends and techniques of social media as well as the company’s online presence to effectively handle social media marketing.
- Time management: The skill of organizing tasks to meet deadlines is essential for this professional role. Social Media Managers work according to schedules and must meet marketing and business goals.
Social Media Manager Salary Expectations
A Social Media Manager makes an average of $44,757 per year. Salary may depend on level of experience, education and the geographical location.
Social Media Manager education and training requirements
A bachelor’s degree in internet marketing, journalism or a related field is usually expected for this mid-level position. Work experience of one or two years in sales, advertising, customer service or public relations can demonstrate that a candidate has the practical training needed to meet the challenges of this position and the marketing industry.
Social Media Manager experience requirements
A Social Media Manager is expected to be experienced in using social media for marketing purposes. Internship or volunteering activities in writing, social media marketing and leadership can demonstrate that a candidate has gained the expertise needed for this position.
Job description samples for similar positions
If you’re writing a job description for a related position to the Social Media Manager, see our job descriptions for similar roles: